Richardsons Bolero

Davydine

Hi everyone,

We have booked Bolero for a week this year, so I have been browsing the forum for reviews.

I found a thread from several years ago, in which Clive suggested that they were going to add seating to the outside sun deck. Does anyone know if this happened? The pictures on the Ricos website don't show it, but looking at the interior pictures it looks as though they are the original pictures taken when the boat was new.

If anyone has any recent pictures that would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

I don't believe it was added, which is strange as even the bridgecraft boats have it and there much earlier builds. I think ( but not entirely sure ) that bolero is the only class that dosent have upper seating but the original flat seating area. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andyg said:

I don't believe it was added, which is strange as even the bridgecraft boats have it and there much earlier builds. I think ( but not entirely sure ) that bolero is the only class that dosent have upper seating but the original flat seating area. 

Thanks Andy, I suspected it hadn't been, I hadn't seen any pictures showing it. We will take a couple of cushions!

8 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We hired Spitfire from Alpha which was the first of this design , fantastic boat but take a couple of cushions because sitting on the bare gel up top when cruising you get a very numb behind 

Thank you! We have a couple of cushions, I will make sure we pack them!

Clive did talk about fitting the upper seating some years back. I can't imagine it's that hard to install. I wouldn't have a clue who owns the moulds, maybe the thwaite brothers have them. I was looking at regal light which is basically the same as bolero and it's had the seating added so has the bridgecraft boats. I've been onboard bolero and she's a nice boat it would be a nice little upgrade for her. 

1 hour ago, 81011 said:

Just found a YouTube video from 2019 when someone was onboard Bolero and it definitely didn't have anything in terms of seating on the top deck then, so unless it's changed in the last 2yrs you will need those cushions!

I'm guessing it's this video. Lots of aerial views of Bolero. Sure it will interest the OP. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I think it was Woods who developed the seating moulds.

I'm not surprised that many others have added them as it always seemed like the Highliner should have been designed that way to begin with.

Oh right that's good to know, totally agree about the upper seating. Paul from swancraft had the job of cleaning up the old alpha fleet before they were sold on. They didn't have the upper seats then so I assume bridgecraft added them.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello, 

We have just come back from a 7 day cruise on "Bolero 1". There was no space "up top" for any cushioned seating, so I doubt if any have been put on any of the Bolero class boats... There is cushioned seating for the person steering, but I still needed a cushion aswell!

As far as Bolero 1 (261H-1) is concerned, she was a lovely boat. Looking a bit "tired" now, but all was good with her!

The staff on arrival at 2pm were excellent!... we had had the training and were ready to start our holiday, all within 40 mins of arriving! 

The interior of the boat is looking dated now compared to some of the more modern boats and our party of 5 decided that, out of the 2 bathrooms, we would all use the stern cabin shower because it has a dedicated shower cubicle and the shower was excellent! The bathroom near the bow cabin only has a shower close to the WC which would have meant it always getting wet!. We had no issues at all with hot water because we all took turns using the shower while cruising... However, both bathroom basins are very difficult to use because they are both buried under the walkways around the boat! not much could be done about this. bedding AND towels were supplied, but we took our own bath towels anyway

The bow and stern beds were good aswell and cater easily for anyone who is 6 foot plus!... The centre bedroom, not so much!

The kitchen area is small, but adequate. the mini cooker proved problematic!... don't expect to be cooking 3 course meals here because it will definitely not cope! we did notice that with just 2 rings and the oven on, there was not enough pressure in the gas line to use the grill aswell.... it just wouldn't stay alight... using it on its own for toast, was fine! (note: the carving knives were blunt!... I would be tempted to bring my own next time!.. or a knife sharpener! )

seating in the lounge area was good, the WiFi however was not very good!... don't expect multiple users to be able to watch films or play games!... this ain't happening!... we all ended up going back to 4G which was much more reliable! we never watched the TV, so can't comment on what the aerial was like... sorry!

during the summer, the main cabin, of an evening, does get very warm!... its not advisable to leave any windows open because of the insects!, so either take a desktop fan, as we did, or some mosquito netting to put over the windows on top of the lounge area!... you will find it invaluable!... The bedrooms however, stayed a lot cooler than the rest of the boat which was a plus! 

there are a few 240V 3pin plug sockets (the inverter switch for these is situated next to the microwave), so take some plug to multiple USB adaptors and you'll be fine. There is only one cigar lighter terminal by the radio. you also have a couple of shaver sockets, so plenty of power points.

Steering the boat is best done from the top deck!. we had a downpour on one day and decided to move the steering to the cabin, but this, we thought, was almost dangerous! The single windscreen wiper was almost useless and the windows steamed up quickly making it impossible to see anything on the starboard side of the boat! We quickly put on our waterproofs we had brought with us and ventured "up top" again!... make sure you pack them!!

We had one mechanical issue on our 4th day, which turned out to be a rusted forward throttle cable link, as we could engage reverse but not a forward gear. However, one phone call and the maintenance boat was with us within an hour and a half and got us going again... excellent service once again!

Don't take anything with you that's fairly wide?... the doors on all of these boats aren't big. you access this boat through the stern bedroom doors only.

In the popular summer months, as we found, if you don't want to use the free mooring points outside of the towns and villages, make sure you choose your mooring spots early!... we found that between 3 and 5pm was best, as the better "alfresco" spots get taken quickly. Also, if you do want to moor up near a town or village, best to get to your destination between 2 and 4pm! 

All in all... happy with our boating experience (which is never long enough!) and the Richardson's staff were very good. this was our second trip to the Broads... and will definitely be visiting again!

Hope you find this review helpful? 

T & A and T & S from Cornwall

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Thanks, I could never understand why richardsons haven't added the crescent style upper deck seating that's now available for these boats. It can't be an issue with Ludham bridge, I believe bridgecraft have and I'm sure barnes have on their older versions. Clive mentioned they were going to a few years back. Guess it didn't get done. She must be 20 years old now at a guess and due some tlc, a popular boat in the platinum fleet. 

Wherever we stayed on holiday, whether afloat or ashore, we always used to take a few things, as the ones supplied were usually inadequate.  Sharp knives used to be top of the list, a decent chef’s or carving knife and a small paring one, proper mugs, as although they’re generally supplied, they’re usually too small and a decent non-stick frying pan were in our ‘going away’ box.  There were a few other items - a box of matches, citronella candles, a crib board and a couple of decks of playing cards.

Since we’ve had our own boat and the majority of our holidays are taken on her, the ‘going away’ box has become a thing of the past, something that I was reminded of when we went to Cornwall earlier in the year and spent the week coping with blunt kitchen knives, small mugs and a lousy frying pan!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 28/08/2022 at 17:10, troydark said:

Hello, 

We have just come back from a 7 day cruise on "Bolero 1".

Think I may have spotted you passing Polkey's Mill moorings, whilst I was having an 'anorak' moment.

Fred

Bolero I. Lower River Yare Norfolk.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, trambo said:

Think I may have spotted you passing Polkey's Mill moorings, whilst I was having an 'anorak' moment.

Fred

Bolero I. Lower River Yare Norfolk.

Not sure which one had the argument with the quay at great Yarmouth. She was left with a very big hole on the bow. Certainly looks like this one wasn't lifted last winter and needs a good polish and brush up.