Bow Light For Use At Night

craigmc67

A bright light at the bow is positively frowned upon (and I think possibly illegal) as it ruins anyone elses night vision, you will be surprised how well you can see at night as long as you keep any internal lights low and ideally red or green.

You will need the proper nav lights too, a foward steaming light should be shielded from the helms view.

• Like 1

Basically, yes.

You'll also want a white light (but not a particularly bright one) at the stern.

As others have said, a big bright 'headlight' will ruin your and everyone else's night vision. A 'searchlight' can be useful for finding entrances etc but it shouldn't be on permanently.

• Like 4

A forward steaming light but not spotlight, a steaming light would be no brighter than the stern light so would not light the way, it all depends on the length of the boat of course as smaller boats would just need an all round white light.

Spots have their use but not for general running.

A badly placed spot will mean all you can see is a pulpit rail and nothing past it.

Have a read here. https://www.svb24.com/en/guide/navigation-lights.html

• Like 2

To avoid confusion, "navigation" lights are red and green, worn on their own by a sailing vessel under way.

A "steaming" light is the white light worn above and normally ahead of, the nav lights, to show you are a vessel under power.  Both types carry a white stern light.

What is frowned on is a spotlight, used like a car's headlights, which is not appropriate unless you are coming in to moor up. You can see much more at night without powerful lights to spoil night vision. I find the nav lights alone leave quite enough light when coming in close to a mooring.

• Like 4

This is all basic stuff. Vaughan is absolutely right in emphasising the standards, disciplines, procedures of night navigation.

What does concern me that some require confirmation, guidance, on that which is required.

It frightens me. Even with very experienced helms. 

The weather on the rivers and broads can change dramatically within a few minutes. From a starlit night to thick fog. A calm night to a vicious squall.

I have been lost on Wroxham Broad in thick fog, sea mist, Haar.

I have been round that broad so many times racing in a very competitive Broads Sailing Cruiser. Reefed to the limit, on other occasions, "do we put the topsail up" of course they always did. do we need the large jib, yep, we will have some of that.

I always knew exactly where I was. I still do. Except in fog, and adverse weather conditions.

I know what to do. I am nervous of others.

I know that this is somewhat controversial but should we not re visit night cruising with regard to those who have an expectation of a peaceful and sound nights rest.

In answer to the OP question; We have/had just general 12v bar car type spot lights: https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/rectangular-led-work-lamp-3000-lumens.html which we use on dark nights where the general light levels are so low that the reflection of the night sky isn't reflected on the river so you can't navigate from that (and/or back in the day looking for unmarked channels), so these just light up the path.  It's better than a powerful spotlight and makes it safer than nothing.  There is nothing stated in the byelaws nor COLREGS in doing that is against these rules. OP just be aware that your alternator will need to keep up, ours struggles on slower speeds and the voltage alarms go of.. :( ) 

Also times where a spotlight is needed but indeed a rechargable portable handheld searchlight just for that quick flash is probably a more suited option and of course that ideally shouldn't be run all the time and the battery probably wouldn't last too long anyway.

Indeed most of the time just navlights is ok and obviously on the broads you should be following the byelaws (which is rather cut down from normal COLREGS and of course the byelaws overrule COLREGS, there is an in-depth bit there about lighting and indeed you will probably see most broads boats don't follow them! (I.e anchor lights)).

3 hours ago, Wussername said:

This is all basic stuff. Vaughan is absolutely right in emphasising the standards, disciplines, procedures of night navigation.

What does concern me that some require confirmation, guidance, on that which is required.

Remember, not everyone on the forum is experienced, or even a boat owner (yet).

Some of us are only at the very start of our journey to boat ownership, so are trying to learn and understand. Sometimes this means we ask what seems a silly question, or one that seems obvious to others.

• Like 4

Hi Craig unless you mount it below the bows you will be blinded by the reflection , I have two car fog lights on a detachable brakit that i mount on the roof this gives a good spread of light down wards on to the bank when mooring at night and as it is above and behind helm doesn't lose your night vision and removes any shadows on the bank of dips or uneven ground. John

• Like 1