The Damage It Can Cause

Hylander

My former employer, one of the big 5 food retailers stop selling them ages ago. I remember having to sort out the collection of unsold units from our retail stores. They were brought back to our warehouse re packed and sold onto to a well know outdoor goods retailer. We use to sell hundreds of thousands of the things during the summer months a very popular line indeed. You'd be surprised just how many are sold.

Question.       Does the panel think that not having disposable barbeques available,will stop people having barbeques?

Does the panel think that Joe Blogger will act more responsibility with a reusable barbeque?

It would be my suspicion that said 'Joe' would just empty the ashes on the ground somewhere close by and leave. I further believe that as they are self contained, disposable barbeques have saved much natural habitat from the thoughtless moronic type that cause all this damage. Blame the people not the product.

• Like 5

I think the problem with disposable bar-b-ques can be exacerbated when they are used  without a stand. Having said that some years ago we were using one on a stand when the entire bottom of the container fell,out and separated from the rest of it, tipping the hot coals onto the ground. Several buckets of water were used and 4 sirloin steaks were lost. We returned it to the Tesco store from where it had been bought and the manager that came to deal with the problem was quite flippant even asking if we had removed the packaging before we  lit it!! We took a dim view of her attitude and said so in no uncertain terms. The outcome was that the steaks were replaced and a £20.00 voucher by way of an apology was issued.

Carole

The underlying  problem,is people. Last summer many people set up tents in beauty  spots across the country. Leaving rubbish, tents sleeping  bags,building  open fires every where,without a thought  of the damage and those that had to clear up there damage.Common sense us often in short supply. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi can any premier this incident a few years ago with a Boat coming out of Ranworth doing a BBQ .on the Deck on the Boat that was stupid and  Dangerous 

yes, the one doing similar with the disposable BBQ sitting on the hatch of the gas locker, and the one I saw at Stalham, the BBQ was about 3 ft from the diesel fill up hose and nozzle/ pumpout (at least on the ground)

• Like 1

As MM has correctly stated , the fault lies with people , and by removing disposable bbqs from the market the idiots will still find a way to bbq irresponsibly .

We use a Weber goanywhere bbq which has a built in stand , but , we always make sure that it is positioned away from combustibles and out of the way of walk ways . Thank 

Its the act of placing the disposable BBQ's directly on the ground that is the issue. They get so hot and people  do not realise that the heat burns down into the ground setting light to the peat, which in turn can travel horizontally along the peat underground. Often it can be several hours before it breaks through somewhere yards away - throwing old BBQ coals away is probably less harmful just because they do not generate that kind of heat. Or so I would have thought.

Or you could just add a stand in the package - that would help.