Sailing Yachts

Andrewcook

My Dad and his family used to come to Norfolk from London and hire a sailing boat. It’s what started his love for the Norfolk Broads. After service in WW 11 his employer (Duckham’s Oil) asked where he would like to be based and he chose Norfolk. 

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

Were the  Sailing Yachts we're popular on the Broads in their heyday? Of them now, fewer of them are on the Broads

IF you are meaning hire boats yes they were popular.. There are much fewer sailing hire boats today. 

But in overall numbers now there are probably more sailing boats, as the number of private sailing boats increased dramatically from the 1960's onwards as people had more disposable income.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

Was great during second lockdown - recognised exercise don't yer know :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

So was fishing, but I failed to see the benefit of sitting on a stool watching a float then and still do now! 😉

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

So was fishing, but I failed to see the benefit of sitting on a stool watching a float then and still do now! 😉

yes, but lugging that mountain of fishing gear from car to river bank must have counted as exercise.

One question for Griff has he ever done Sailing? On the Broads or any where abroad?

Yes - Lots, Home and abroad.  Best adventure was a fortnight onboard 'Thalassa' (Thar Lass) sailing around the Greek islands. That was a hired yacht with no hired skipper / crew, I made up all of them

Griff

DSC01260.JPG

DSC01262.JPG

DSC01275.JPG

DSC01296.JPG

DSC01300.JPG

DSC01331.JPG

DSC01389.JPG

DSC01392.JPG

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

yes, but lugging that mountain of fishing gear from car to river bank must have counted as exercise.

Hmmmm!  Granted, but you can get similar exercise by going for a walk!  Worse still was that they were allowed to fish from a boat with an engine, so didn’t have to carry gear or row the ruddy thing! 🤨