A Tow From Stalham To Brundall - End July

36 minutes ago, andyg said:

If its Stalham then richardsons would be a good shout, you have Simpson and Sutton boatyards. Not sure if there tugs are big enough tho. Richardsons also have a tug still at acle. Hope that a help

All three tugs are quite big enough for the vessel in the picture.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

All three tugs are quite big enough for the vessel in the picture.

That's great, I wasn't quite sure. I've been towed back to Stalham by one of Richardson’s tugs so knew that was more then capable.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EdwardCharlesMitchell said:

Thanks so much for your helpful reply Andy - much appreciated.

Bridgecraft at acle have a tug as well.. if it is acle you'd need towing from. Dan's a member on here I believe. 

• Like 1

Robert from Sutton towed Malanka all the way from upside of Wroxham bridge all the way to the wet shed. We used a bow tow with a bridle. Worked very well indeed. 

Malanka is over 11 tons. 

Martin 

• Like 2

G'Day Clive,

Many thanks for your message. Yes please to a quote.

Dawn Star lives in the wet shed at Richardson's and I need to deliver her to A R Peachment on Monday 1st August.

She weighs 6 tons approx.

Where are you based?

If you could offer 2 quotes?

1/ Stalham - Brundall

2/ Acle-Brundall (I reckon I could get her to Acle with the current electric range of the engine - But if there's not too much difference, I'd be happy to go from Stalham.

? You towed the Zephyr ? That's a lovely boat.

Cheers,

Edward

9 hours ago, EdwardCharlesMitchell said:

G'Day Clive,

Many thanks for your message. Yes please to a quote.

Dawn Star lives in the wet shed at Richardson's and I need to deliver her to A R Peachment on Monday 1st August.

She weighs 6 tons approx.

Where are you based?

If you could offer 2 quotes?

1/ Stalham - Brundall

2/ Acle-Brundall (I reckon I could get her to Acle with the current electric range of the engine - But if there's not too much difference, I'd be happy to go from Stalham.

? You towed the Zephyr ? That's a lovely boat.

Cheers,

Edward

Im based in Horning,  so anywhere downstream of Ludham bridge is easier but bear in mind I will have to do the return journey so Horning is probably easier, 

I will see if I can tie it in with another job but the timing at end july mightn't be good for me.

I towed Zypher to put an engine in which was needed to sell her, we also sorted the screens out which was  half way though being fettled and some bits lost!  

I will message you a quote hopefully tomorrow

Thanks, 

Dear Clive,

Good morning to you. Sent a reply yesterday via my phone - but that seems to have disappeared into the ether.

Yes please to a quote. I can meet you with Dawn Star in Horning.

The destination is A R Peachment in Brundall. They're installing a new Nanni. I'm going to be selling the current electric propulsion unit - returning Dawn Star to diesel.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Edward

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, EdwardCharlesMitchell said:

They're installing a new Nanni. I'm going to be selling the current electric propulsion unit - returning Dawn Star to diesel.

In view of the question of the future of electric boats on the Broads, I am sure a lot of forum members would be very interested to hear why you have made that decision.

If it hasn't worked for you, will it ever work for other "motor" cruisers on the Broads?

Edited to add :

Also interesting that you can get from Stalham to Horning on electrics, but you are not willing (or able?) to go through Yarmouth to Brundall.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

In view of the question of the future of electric boats on the Broads, I am sure a lot of forum members would be very interested to hear why you have made that decision.

If it hasn't worked for you, will it ever work for other "motor" cruisers on the Broads?

Edited to add :

Also interesting that you can get from Stalham to Horning on electrics, but you are not willing (or able?) to go through Yarmouth to Brundall.

:default_blink:  He has probably been reading all the latest posts regarding Breydon?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Answering this Q first. I know I can reach Horning from Stalham with charge to spare. Bearing in mind I'd pick up the tow in Horning, so no worries re a return trip.

However, I don't think there are anywhere near enough charging points yet to be able to set off in any direction without pre-planning. And when you do come across some charging points, often they are all already being used.

A hybrid would be the ideal solution, but for my budget, installing a new Nanni is my best route.

For the time being, I'm a weekend sailor, and I just want to be able to turn up, and head off down the river in any direction, without having to take stopping/charging points into consideration. 

happy to answer any further Qs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

"He has probably been reading all the latest posts regarding Breydon?!"

Responding to Happy. Re Yarmouth and Breydon, it's a question of both range, and torque.

I've been cruising the Broads for many years - but always with a diesel motor that I was confident had the power to tackle the Southern rivers and Breydon at any stage of the tides.

• Like 4

Wholeheartedly agree Edward, the riverside infrastructure is a million miles away from where needs to be in accommodating electric powered boats and allowing the boat owners a stress free experience. Best of luck getting your tow arranged. Be careful of that Clive, he likes a good wooden boat, she may end up hidden up at his house 😉

• Like 2

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, which bears out what I have always cautioned against, with electric power for hire boats.

12 minutes ago, EdwardCharlesMitchell said:

- but always with a diesel motor that I was confident had the power to tackle the Southern rivers and Breydon at any stage of the tides.

A cruiser must have the capacity to maintain 7MPH for at least 4 hours before it loses power as the batteries become discharged.  Any less than that, it is not safe to navigate through Yarmouth.

I fear that this is one of the main things that protagonists of electric power are not allowing for in their calculations.

• Like 2