August Memories

Broads01

So it's August and the month holds special Broads memories for me. My first three Broads holidays as a youngster with my parents were all in August. Later, when my own children came along, once again August school holidays was regularly a boating time. I think this is why I've never been phased by the busyness of the hotspots in the Summer and in fact, positively enjoy it (mad Wroxham day boats sometimes excepting) - so many happy associations.

Do you have August memories or perhaps another particular month which has special associations?

• Like 1

We are newbies to the Broads (relatively), not discovering their delights until 2014. I hope we’ve made up for it since though. So far we’ve only been on the Broads in August twice, and then only just about.  First time was our maiden voyage on Moonlight Shadow in 2019 for the week beginning the bank holiday weekend (a scorcher). Apart from one night on a wild mooring, just past the Acle moorings, we spent the whole time on the Southern Broads, so can’t really be counted as a typical August experience. Possibly I’m wrong there though…maybe all forumites high tail it south during summer holiday weeks. 
The following year we had an August bank holiday weekend on Water Rail, not so scorching, but lovely. Again, spent on the south side. Bliss. 

• Like 2

May for me, too.  My first ever Broads holiday in 1969 was in May with my parents.  It’s a favourite time of year for me for a number of reasons, as @Cheesey69 said, with things coming back to life and the wildlife, although sadly not as prolific these days for whatever reason.  Being quieter, it’s just a special time of the year.

• Like 1

I've had many day trips in August but never a holiday. Even when our children were younger we tried to avoid the broads in the height of summer. I really enjoy September things seem to quite down a bit. May is also a favourite month for us. I had 3 trips in June and each one has been a weather disaster 

• Like 1

Our first time hiring was the first week in July. The weather was perfect and we booked the same week for the following three years or so, and continued to have (mostly) good weather, apart from a couple of thunderstorms.

Our latest jaunt on Moonlight Shadow was week before last, the week of the heatwave, so our July luck seems to be continuing. Last year we had a week in June, which wasn’t awful weather wise, but was gloomy and overcast most of the week. Not what you expect in summer anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Our first time hiring was the first week in July. The weather was perfect and we booked the same week for the following three years or so, and continued to have (mostly) good weather, apart from a couple of thunderstorms.

Our latest jaunt on Moonlight Shadow was week before last, the week of the heatwave, so our July luck seems to be continuing. Last year we had a week in June, which wasn’t awful weather wise, but was gloomy and overcast most of the week. Not what you expect in summer anyway. 

I think that was last summer summed up it was very wet in Norfolk and dull  could not get two opposite years next to one another 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/08/2022 at 23:01, Broads01 said:

So it's August and the month holds special Broads memories for me. My first three Broads holidays as a youngster with my parents were all in August. Later, when my own children came along, once again August school holidays was regularly a boating time. I think this is why I've never been phased by the busyness of the hotspots in the Summer and in fact, positively enjoy it (mad Wroxham day boats sometimes excepting) - so many happy associations.

Do you have August memories or perhaps another particular month which has special associations?

August for me too Simon. Always went during the school holidays when I was growing up and the same when I had my children. I know it's known as silly season but you can't beat watching families having fun on boats. I could sit all day just watching boats cruise by. 

So many fond memories from spending pocket money in Latham's or Roys Toys (they really were the go to shops for spending pocket money :default_biggrin:) to fishing with my Dad. 

Also in May our hen party boat was such fun although we were well behaved of course :default_norty: We didn't drink too much, wear silly hats or dance on tables or anything :default_biggrin: x

• Like 1

Well we're coming up to October half-term now which I've always thought of as "mini August" as far as the north Broads is concerned. I must admit I haven't been boating at October half-term for a few years now though, mainly because living in South Wales nowadays they have it a week late, so after the clocks have gone back.

• Like 1