Sailing Yachts

Andrewcook

The best sailing, is a personal choice, if racing I love Horning based sailing,  https://www.horning-sailing.club/ we race round the buoys outside the club or up on Black Horse Broad weed permitting, and like yesterday, we also do down rivers to Thurne or Acle  have lunch and race back.

I also love sailing quietly, say above Potter Bridge out onto Hickling Broad or out to Horsey..

If you wish to sail a lot, and have your own boat, then I'd recommend joining a club.. Most do not insist on you racing, though that is their primary aim..

That also gives you the use of cheaper moorings, free parking, showers, toilets and at many clubs, water for tank top ups . There is also the benefit of club social evens to join in as well should you so wish.

if you click on, http://www.thegreenbook.org.uk/

and then click on, clubs and classes there is a list of all associations accredited with the Norfolk and Suffolk Boating association (it includes Motorboat clubs).

Hire , as Marshman says all yards are on the northern Broads, you could take a boat down to the southern broads if the yard permits.

Most of the yards hire Halfdeckers for day sailing, as well as broads cruisers for stay aboard sailing...

• Like 1

I have done both racing and cruising and came to enjoy the rivers more than the broads, as there seems to be rather more fun in making a passage, by wind power alone. I much enjoyed racing on rivers, as there is a lot more racing tactics involved.

If you are just beginning though, make sure you have an auxiliary engine.

Later on if you come to really love it, you can always become a purist, with the quant!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I have done both racing and cruising and came to enjoy the rivers more than the broads, as there seems to be rather more fun in making a passage, by wind power alone. I much enjoyed racing on rivers, as there is a lot more racing tactics involved.

If you are just beginning though, make sure you have an auxiliary engine.

Later on if you come to really love it, you can always become a purist, with the quant!

Making passage is the best bit of sailing, any one can zoom up and down a broad but reading the wind and planning which side of the river would give the best advantage is the best bit.  I have sailed since I started secondary school first on dinghy’s on Hickling broad then with Hunters yard first year as a mate then four years as skipper of Wood Anemone. Then a selection of dinghies from Lasers to fireballs to a Contender and became nation champion in the Lightning 368 class, windsurfing coming 11th in the 1987 th world championships.  Sailing the med in our own boat left in Corfu and of course sailing Perfect Lady 9 until we got into mobo’s 

We still have a halfdecker as once a sailer it never really leaves you. 

Give it a go you might even enjoy it :default_icon_clap:

• Like 5

Hi, I used to do sailing on the Broads. but I first learned sailing at a Sailing school at Rocky Point in Poole Dorset. on a Wayfarer sailing dinghy that was in my Twenties now 70 years old this year, I wish I was young too do it again or go with a group to do this sailing once more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi, I used to do sailing on the Broads. but I first learned sailing at a Sailing school at Rocky Point in Poole Dorset. on a Wayfarer sailing dinghy that was in my Twenties now 70 years old this year, I wish I was young too do it again or go with a group to do this sailing once more.

Couple of cans of red bull Andrew I'm sure you'd be fine lol. Only ever done dinghy sailing with my dad on the broads. I enjoyed it and can see the appeal..

15 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Ah Rockley Point, been there on holiday, got my hand badly cut on glass in the sand.. (in the sea, hurt somewhat that did...) That was just 53 years ago..

Wish I'd learnt to sail then rather than 10 years later..

9 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

I was treated to the sight of quite a number of classic looking yachts of the same style ( sorry no idea of class ) returning up the Yare towards Norwich last week.

If you mean like this

image.thumb.png.94a7f5aa1a68ffcc3842c4a3c1db1adf.png

That's a member of the Broads River Cruiser Class, https://rivercruiser.org/ there's now over 400 of them. Very few Identical outside of the Hunter fleet.. 

Most have individual Handicaps for each boat.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2022 at 13:28, BrundallNavy said:

Making passage is the best bit of sailing, any one can zoom up and down a broad but reading the wind and planning which side of the river would give the best advantage is the best bit.  I have sailed since I started secondary school first on dinghy’s on Hickling broad then with Hunters yard first year as a mate then four years as skipper of Wood Anemone. Then a selection of dinghies from Lasers to fireballs to a Contender and became nation champion in the Lightning 368 class, windsurfing coming 11th in the 1987 th world championships.  Sailing the med in our own boat left in Corfu and of course sailing Perfect Lady 9 until we got into mobo’s 

We still have a halfdecker as once a sailer it never really leaves you. 

Give it a go you might even enjoy it :default_icon_clap:

I went Laser, Merlin, Contender. We must compare scars sometime. Dinghy Sailing and rugby has made me what I am today.......Totally Crocked!

Then Coastal and some Blue Water.

Looking back, having swallowed the anchor. My late wife loved the ten years onThe Broads and various inland cruises. It never gave me that frisson of putting to sea. The exception being The Shannon Erne.

My intention when we moved to Norfolk fifteen years ago, a move driven by Judith not wishing go "off-shore" in our 50s, was to buy a traditional Broads cruiser. However having hired, river sailing was not really for me.

I will say however that the skill of some Broads sailors is exceptional with regards to their tactics and reading of wind shifts etc. They could certainly show a clear transom to the "Inshore, round the cans" Sunday morning crews at clubs along the South Coast.

• Like 2