Mudweighting

Royston

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

How do you throw a mud weight. Do you tuck the weight under your chin, Geoff Capes style, pirouette on the bow of your boat, and then with a mighty heave launch the weight into the bobbing up and down stuff?.

Maybe giveing it a firm kick is a better option lol 

Just now, Smoggy said:

No, not YET!

I’m really looking forward to this Mudweighting lark , I must practice standing on one leg and chucking the rounded brick thing and letting go at the optimum moment whilst keeping a firm grip on my chihuahua at home prior to hireing , then at least on arrival at Brinks I will be able to eagerly demonstrate my newly learned experience , god I’m so looking forward to boating in summer lol

• Haha 1

Don't be too concerned about the tide issue up north - cannot really think of a Broad where the rise and fall exceeds about 6" so its pretty irrelevant. 

Down south its a bit more important on Rockland, Surlingham (Bargate) and Oulton but just let out a little more slack at the outset and Bobs's your uncle. Even if he's not most Broads are surrounded by trees or scrub and you won't come to a lot of harm!!

Dangling to clean the mud off is highly effective but you must expect the comments - I was doing that on S Walsham Inner Broad where you cannot mudweight, when I was chased by an irate old git in the local trip boat who told me I couldn't stop, so I just had to politely point out, that as the boat was moving, all be it slowly, I wasn't actually stopped and that he could buzz orf!!!!! He did much to the amusement of his passengers!!

47 minutes ago, Royston said:

I’m really looking forward to this Mudweighting lark , I must practice standing on one leg and chucking the rounded brick thing and letting go at the optimum moment whilst keeping a firm grip on my chihuahua at home prior to hireing , then at least on arrival at Brinks I will be able to eagerly demonstrate my newly learned experience , god I’m so looking forward to boating in summer lol

dont tie the end of the dogs lead onto the mudweight line.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, marshman said:

Don't be too concerned about the tide issue up north - cannot really think of a Broad where the rise and fall exceeds about 6" so its pretty irrelevant. 

Down south its a bit more important on Rockland, Surlingham (Bargate) and Oulton but just let out a little more slack at the outset and Bobs's your uncle. Even if he's not most Broads are surrounded by trees or scrub and you won't come to a lot of harm!!

Dangling to clean the mud off is highly effective but you must expect the comments - I was doing that on S Walsham Inner Broad where you cannot mudweight, when I was chased by an irate old git in the local trip boat who told me I couldn't stop, so I just had to politely point out, that as the boat was moving, all be it slowly, I wasn't actually stopped and that he could buzz orf!!!!! He did much to the amusement of his passengers!!

Sounds like very sensible advice , been through Brendon a few times and witnessed the tidal difference in the south so will stay north in July. Thanks 

In recent years i have usually hired a boat with a powered mud weight with a chain. When used in a broad I normally lower the weight and then reverse slightly to plough the weight into the mud to make it more secure. The chain drum also ensures that you don't loop it round your leg!

However, for using a manual mud weight:

First ensure that the rope is connected,

And the end to the boat is secure,

For it wouldn't be wise if you threw it away

in the Ant or the Thurne or the Bure

The rope should be tied to the mud weight,

But ensure that the fixing is tight,

For you’ll really be goosed, if the fixing comes loose,

And your boat floats away in the night.

The technique to lower the mud weight,

Is your personal choice I would think,

You can lower it gently, or drop it or throw,

(But whatever you do please ensure you let go!)

Or you’re likely to land in the drink.

When you’re leaving the mooring remember,

To raise up your mud weight in time,

But tie it a bit below water,

To remove all the mud and the slime.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The only broad I wouldn't advise mudweighting on is Salhouse as it has a firm sandy bottom rather than black gloopy mud so the weight just rolls about rather than sinking in. If you must, the best holding seems to be in the bay near the island at the upstream end. 

18 minutes ago, Splasher said:

In recent years i have usually hired a boat with a powered mud weight with a chain. When used in a broad I normally lower the weight and then reverse slightly to plough the weight into the mud to make it more secure. The chain drum also ensures that you don't loop it round your leg!

However, for using a manual mud weight:

First ensure that the rope is connected,

And the end to the boat is secure,

For it wouldn't be wise if you threw it away

in the Ant or the Thurne or the Bure

The rope should be tied to the mud weight,

But ensure that the fixing is tight,

For you’ll really be goosed, if the fixing comes loose,

And your boat floats away in the night.

The technique to lower the mud weight,

Is your personal choice I would think,

You can lower it gently, or drop it or throw,

(But whatever you do please ensure you let go!)

Or you’re likely to land in the drink.

When you’re leaving the mooring remember,

To raise up your mud weight in time,

But tie it a bit below water,

To remove all the mud and the slime.

Royal velvet 2 mercifully has a leccy weight so should be no need for any manual lowering or chucking so should thankfully reduce  the risk of any unwelcome gooseing or impromptue river batheing  and due to the wonders of modern technology won’t require me even getting my hands wet / dirty lol , Thanks for advice Splasher 

10 minutes ago, stumpy said:

The only broad I wouldn't advise mudweighting on is Salhouse as it has a firm sandy bottom rather than black gloopy mud so the weight just rolls about rather than sinking in. If you must, the best holding seems to be in the bay near the island at the upstream end. 

That's handy to know, I can just use my anchor then, much better for that sort of bottom.

1 hour ago, stumpy said:

I have mud weighted at Salhouse many a many time and can t say I've ever encountered anything but the black goopy stuff . Some sand near the moorings for sure , but all other corners hold the boat no problem in my experience . Not saying your wrong , just my experiences.

• Like 2