Marine Decals

We've recently purchased a boat "Cormorant" and registered it under a new name "Admiral Dingley".
I'll be removing the old decal and replacing it with a custom one.
Can anyone recommend a place that makes marine grade decals.
Any general advise on decals vs painting is more than welcome.

We used Marine Transmissions   formerly of Stalham to replace ours a couple of years ago to our specifications , they used an outside contractor for this .

If you contact Daniel Austrin danielaustrinmarine@outlook.com

he was our contact there , now indépendant , I’m sure he will be able to assist 

I used www.Funkymonkeyboatnames.co.uk

DIY but with full instructions on how to do it. And I rang the man who was really helpful with advice on font size, positioning etc. Really quick turnaround too. 

Once I knew the space available I drew it out on a cardboard template so I could get the font size right. 

Richardsons had taken the old ones off but the ‘shadow’ of them could still be seen. Isopropanol got that off and cleaned the area I was putting the new ones on. Sold in Stalham diy, and Roys diy in Hoveton. 
A10D77A0-8D5A-4807-AC64-571455661591.thumb.jpeg.b80ba849174f1a468f9bcb5d97e4d133.jpeg

If you zoom in on the photo you can see better. 

• Like 1

On 06/06/2023 at 20:13, ZimbiIV said:

Brian Wards.

They did some complex decals for us.

You can go in and talk it through with then and get good advice.

paul

And don't forget the 10% discount when you use the code 'NBN'. Brian Wards have been a forum supporter for many years and it's a really handy perk.

But yes, they're really helpful people too.

• Like 1

DG signs (they have a web site not sure how to add the link), did our boat names. These were placed onto marine grade brushed alloy. They do many types of signage, boat and vehicle graphics for all sorts of applications and marinas in and around Suffolk, and surrounding areas. They will set up, print or cut from different types of materials, and also arrange to post out if required. These are industrial strength decals/graphics and will last for a very long time. When visiting them they were preparing the graphics for a Sunseeker which included a boot topper, I was surprised by this that a graphic would be used here, however they advised the vinyl they use would last much longer than any paint without fading etc and could be more easily removed without damaging the gel if ever a colour change etc. Was required. It got me thinking about this during the next lift out 🤔. Worth a look. 👍🏻

FEAAC26F-579D-4EFB-914C-63E030B84679.png

9 hours ago, PCL023 said:

When visiting them they were preparing the graphics for a Sunseeker which included a boot topper, I was surprised by this that a graphic would be used here, however they advised the vinyl they use would last much longer than any paint without fading etc and could be more easily removed without damaging the gel if ever a colour change etc.

This is such an important thing. I see so many ex hirecraft around the Broads and people decide they don't like the colour scheme so they paint it :51_scream:.

Of course this looks good for a few years and then it stops looking good and the boat needs painting again. And again. And often the original gel was perfectly acceptable and would have needed very minimal maintenance.

Vinyl wraps aren't cheap but they cover well, give a good finish and can simply be stripped when it comes to resale time so that the boat hasn't lost value like it would if the original gel had been painted. Many people won't buy a boat that isn't in gel because you have to factor in the repaint every 5 years or so, and repaints can be really expensive for a good job.