Laws On Using Drones

Hylander

I read recently some of the laws regarding drones.     Having seen drone footage I wonder at times if people realise there are awful lot of rules and regulations with regard to the using of drones.

You can have a drone up to 250 grams over that you need a CAA Licence to operate it , also there is the possibility that a parish council has a total ban on using drones especially if there’s a camera fitted because they can, so before you get a drone you need to check that your not breaking any laws because once you break the data protection act you will end up in more trouble and  you cannot fly above 120 metres.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

My answer my Winchester SX4 Chambered 3.5in. No need to go too heavy No4s should have enough killing power.

20181109_080630.thumb.jpg.3199970940b24ce7b7c9a6f3c2af64e0.jpg

Since 2016, drones have been categorised as aircraft by the CAA and in the UK it is illegal to shoot one down.IMG_0921.thumb.jpeg.a147fb41dc90b1259fd505c874a03cd6.jpeg

I am a CAA licenced drone pilot and am able to fly drones heavier than 250gms with certain restrictions.  My use of them is to extend a lifelong interest in photography.  It is highly unlikely by hat a phot taken from a drone 150ft in the air would breach and data protection  laws - only the professional ones used by tv and film production companies would have the optical power to render a photo of the quality required and not many recreational drone users have the tens of thousands of pound that equipment of that standard costs.  Whilst parish councils may have restrictions regarding where drones can take off and land, they do not control the airspace in which they fly, which is controlled solely by the CAA.  There are restrictions where flight is restricted, however and these are clearly defined.

There are clearly defined laws regarding drones and their use, far more than in the original post.  Sadly, as in all aspects of life, the majority of drone users respect the law and use them legally, it’s the few that choose to break the laws that spoil it for the rest of us.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hylander said:

I read recently some of the laws regarding drones.     Having seen drone footage I wonder at times if people realise there are awful lot of rules and regulations with regard to the using of drones.

There is (and always was) a minority of users who either don't bother to read the regs or think they are above them.

You do indeed see a lot of footage on YouTube which clearly didn't meet the regulations at the time - There are a lot overflying the centres of both Horning and Wroxham at a time when flying over a built-up area was most definitely not allowed.

It's probably going to get worse as they're far more accessible. You can now buy a half-decent drone for under £500 - A few years ago you had to add £1000 on to that figure. So a decent used one is going to be probably £250 and so pretty much anyone can buy one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

There is (and always was) a minority of users who either don't bother to read the regs or think they are above them.

You do indeed see a lot of footage on YouTube which clearly didn't meet the regulations at the time - There are a lot overflying the centres of both Horning and Wroxham at a time when flying over a built-up area was most definitely not allowed.

It's probably going to get worse as they're far more accessible. You can now buy a half-decent drone for under £500 - A few years ago you had to add £1000 on to that figure. So a decent used one is going to be probably £250 and so pretty much anyone can buy one.

More's the pity.       Once whilst moored at St Bennetts we actually looked up and a drone was looking at close point into our main cabin window.   Good job no one was in a state of undress at the time.       Hubby was furious.

6 hours ago, oldgregg said:

The restrictions on overflying for drones weighing less than 250gms are comparatively relaxed and flying over built up areas is permitted, although they shouldn’t be flown over crowds.  There is clearly some interpretation over what constitutes a crowd, but there is much more freedom to fly using a sub 250gm drone.  The biggest area for potential contravention of the law would be maintaining visual line of sight, which obviously limits how far away from the drone pilot they can be flown.

As far as cost is concerned, to get a decent quality drone, capable of taking reasonable quality images, you are still looking at £1000 with a controller.  Cheaper ones are available, but the quality is poor.

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

The restrictions on overflying for drones weighing less than 250gms are comparatively relaxed and flying over built up areas is permitted, although they shouldn’t be flown over crowds.  There is clearly some interpretation over what constitutes a crowd, but there is much more freedom to fly using a sub 250gm drone.  The biggest area for potential contravention of the law would be maintaining visual line of sight, which obviously limits how far away from the drone pilot they can be flown.

As far as cost is concerned, to get a decent quality drone, capable of taking reasonable quality images, you are still looking at £1000 with a controller.  Cheaper ones are available, but the quality is poor.

It's more relaxed now, but it wasn't when most of that stuff was shot. I'm thinking back when the world and his dog (and me) had a Mavic Pro.

I guess it depends on perspective, but a Mini 3 (with the RC-N1) is £429 and a secondhand Mini 2 is around £370 from somewhere reputable like mpb.

No, they're not immense - But they're not terrible either. You and I would be looking a tier up, but many would not.

9 hours ago, floydraser said:

What about the times you are walking around a tourist type place and people are wondering around holding out their smart phones in front of them, making videos? Whatever the law regarding privacy I abandon mine and wave in front of them. I'm probably famous in parts of Asia. :default_smiley-char054:

Absolutely correct.  How many photos and videos are there on YouTube showing clear footage of buildings and people all over the world?  We must all have been guilty of taking photos of riverside properties on The Broads, without a thought for the privacy of the occupants.

What about users of dashcams?  Have they asked my permission to film me?

It seems that some folk only worry about data protection and privacy when they feel like it!

• Like 3