Clive - Dungraftin

BroadAmbition

well done, you got there in the end,

I once got stuck trying to turn at the bottom of the dyke, it was blowing half a hooligan, and I got stuck side on on the red and white post on the end, it made a right mess of the paintwork, right down to bare wood.

I ended up turning the boat using the ropes, on my own, fortunately I had a good long rope that I tied at one side at the back then lead it to the front of the boat along the outside, then with judicious pushing and shoving I got the back out into the river, pulling it around (its easier with several people)

• Like 3

Dungraftin 2 Your attitude to boating and your legacy is wonderful keep it up. We have a couple of daughters that boated with us and they are now re kindling an interest after leaving for a few years. Its such a rewarding pass time. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Even after 20+ years of boating it still goes wrong often enough, it make the good moorings feel even better, you will get the feel of it but only with practice and it's good fun practicing anyway.

• Like 3

Even experienced boaters like Grendel use ropes for turning sometimes  - I never kept count but almost always admit to turning boats on ropes and hardly ever turned on the engine. Always had a 15m (a 12mm one) rope on board which reached right from the bow, or stern, right down the other side and to the shore and usually assisted by wind or tide , made turning a doddle, especially when single handed or in tight corners.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dungraftin2 said:

Today left mooring sailed to Thurne Red Lion as it was my birthday all going well until I moored up great but then there were no rings 😒 had to turn around and moor on the opposite side well what can I say wind took me lost push off the hook. 

With some slow and steady bumps and some friendly person helping at Mooring and pulling us in we made it few 😌

Well done!

A very Happy Birthday to you. I hope you enjoyed your Birthday afloat. What a way to celebrate your day, afloat and on the Broads :default_winko:

Grace x

• Like 2

Allison,

I will let you into a secret, but don't tell anyone.

I have just completely messed up a side on mooring, with nothing in front of me and had to go around again. My defence is the wind caught me and Whitey is a pig in wind. I have had it 13 years and still struggle sometimes.

Keep at it, it will get easier.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I saw you go past me on the PH moorings and thought you are picking the windiest spots to get the most practice. I was hoping you were mooring further down as I’d have come to say hello on my way for a dog walk. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kpnut said:

I saw you go past me on the PH moorings and thought you are picking the windiest spots to get the most practice. I was hoping you were mooring further down as I’d have come to say hello on my way for a dog walk. 

Wish I saw you x 

• Like 2

well Today we left the dyke and travelled back to the moorings. 

Turned on the ropes thanks for the info this really helped x

All tanks filled and pumped out ready to go home tomorrow  

It's a been adventure looking for forward to my next visit x in a couple of weeks for weekend x 

• Like 16