Clive - Dungraftin

BroadAmbition

It is with a sad heart that I need to inform forumites that we lost Clive on Thursday night - He has gone to catch up with his much missed MrsW (And as he said many times -  have a few 'Words' !)

Clive went peacefully and unexpectedly in his sleep. That in my book is the best way to depart.   He was eighty

He had a Hampton Safari boat 'Dungraftin' and was one of our longest standing 'Boaty' mates.  Huge family, never a cross word for anyone.

He lived in Rotherham so not far from our place and we often visited as he did to ours

Awesome metal fabricator / welder, he could pretty much turn his hand to owt.

I always smiled when he operated his remote controlled mast that would lay flat and then sit up on command from a switch adjacent to the helm.  All self designed and made

We had the pleasure of his company only three weeks ago onboard 'B.A' ticking of a bucket list for him - Helming 'B.A' (He did most of the weekend, couldn't get him off the helm) and cruising up to New Mills pond

He was full of Life's experiences too, always fascinating listening to him talk of a bygone era.

He loved dogs (So in my book was a top bloke)  Not long back he literally  'Stole' (Rescued) a dog from a house he was visiting for some sort of purchase exchange, saw the kids treating the small dog as a football, the dog was in a terrible state too.  So he simply took it when they weren't looking (if they weren't kicking it they were ignoring its plight)  Said dog is now with other dogs of its breed, healthy, happy and having a normal life of luxury with its present owner

I consider it a privilege to call him and have enjoyed him as a mate

Safe anchorage - Miss you mate xx

Griff

Photo taken during his weekend onboard

BA NBN 1313.JPG

• Like 9
  • Sad 11
  • Love 4

• 6 months later...

Sometimes one gets    'Called out'

After Clive left us, I said to his family - 'If there's owt you need - I'm here'

Clive's boat - Dungraftin a Hampton Safari is now of course in the ownership of his family. Berthed at Sutton Marina.

They want to keep and enjoy her - Good.

What is not so good is that they have not much idea of boat handling and general boaty stuff.  Yes, they have been onboard many times with their Dad / Grandad (Clive) and his late wife Kathy enjoying their time afloat without actually learning some of the basic helming skills

The call came in a couple of months ago.

'Griff you kindly said if there's owt we need' ?

- 'Well there is' -

'Can you come onboard Dungraftin with us for a weekend and properly instruct us in helming, berthing, ropes and hitches, mudweighting, bridges, tide, wind, fuelling, pump outs, etc etc'

That was me check-mated right there as easy as wink

Their idea was to crew up Friday early evening, go to the pub and then sail Saturday morning - Really?  If only!

Dungraftin has to my knowledge not had anyone onboard for about five months minimum.  (The yard winterised her October last year).  They have no idea if the diesel tank is full or when the holding tank was pumped out, no idea of what winterising entails, nor when the engine / batteries etc were last serviced or looked at or any current outstanding issues.

So, as a result I'm driving down this afternoon to the wetshed, stay onboard 'B.A' overnight (And change the defective horns) with Bro and his crew, then disembark tomorrow morning, round to Sutton yard and get stuck in.

De-winterise, check systems, pump out, fill diesel tank, warm through, spring clean inside and as much of the outside as I can (Wx permitting).  I'll be armed with Henry hoover, microfibre cloths, green nylon pads, flash etc etc and aim to get her in some sort of order before the owners arrive early evening thereby be ready for sailing Saturday morning as they intend.  Purdey dog will of course be with me.  She is going to be mightily miffed she is not onboard 'B.A' for the duration plus she won't be able to wander round the upper deck whilst underway in her normal fashion and if we end up berthed in the vicinity of 'B.A' she is likely to 'Jump ship' !

I'll be onboard till Monday afternoon, they will continue afloat for the rest of the week

On the upside a bad day afloat is better than a good day in t office, even if you aren't on your boat of choice

Griff

• Like 23
  • Love 2

Griff Sir. I'll take my hat off to you. Always a man of his word. Thank you for what you are doing for Clive, one of life's true gentlemen.

Also to Brother and crew for helping. You may be a Yorshireman with deep pockets but you have very big heart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also to Brother and crew for helping. 

Er, they ain't ! :default_icon_rolleyes: 

They are sailing independently early Friday forenoon for a social weekend afloat independent of us onboard Dungraftin

(Otherwise knows as 'Sodding Off!) :default_icon_eek:

Griff

5 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

They are sailing independently early Friday forenoon for a social weekend afloat independent of us onboard Dungraftin

Griff

If I had been there in Norfolk you could have had another Cleaner and helper. But! Alas, not for another three weeks yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

I can pop round tomorrow and lend a hand, have a variety of scrubbing brushes and chemicals - some could even be used to clean a boat! :default_hiding:

Plus I need pump outs and diesel so will be there anyway.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

I can pop round tomorrow and lend a hand, have a variety of scrubbing brushes and chemicals - some could even be used to clean a boat! :default_hiding:

Plus I need pump outs and diesel so will be there anyway.

Pop in and see our own Maurice Minor too 🤣🤣🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Engine - running ok, heads operational, immersion heater working, 12,& 240v systems ok, heater ok.

That’s the exterior completed along with windows  / frames inside and out. Got a ‘Well done’ from the yard staff on her appearance. Now for the interior

Big. thanks to NeilB earlier for assistance too

Griff

• Like 15

We made the Swan pub for dinner last night in one of their pods in their back yard. Then back to the Sutton hotel, both were proper busy. Didn’t get back onboard till 2330. My bunk is the saloon one, plenty long enough but narrow while Purdey has loadsa room. 

This morning we will visit the rainbow cafe for a FCE, then Tesco’s. Then a final declutter onboard. 

Getting Dungraftin out of her berth and into open water will be interesting but prior to that I need to give a safety brief along with some do’s and don’ts 

Anyroadup, off for a Purdey walk just now

Griff

• Like 7

How just how can a small boat have so much clutter and crap onboard?

This lot out of the shower compartment only! Having to narrow stuff away. Henry hoover working overtime

Just what is that telescopic thing too?

We are nowhere near the cafe or Tesco’s either 

Griff

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh how I can relate to this 😂. Having now downsized to a Hampton, we were absolutely determined to be ruthless of what we keep on her.  It’s so difficult and there’s been a couple of occasions this week where Graham didn’t have something on board to fix issues whereas Luna had everything for the ‘just in case’ times. 

is the telescopic thing for a tv aerial? Thats what we have for ours. 

• Like 1

The telescopic thing -

Mooring Rope Dock Hook,The Boat Hook,for Your Home and Outdoor U Type Mooring Rope Threader Dock Hook Cable Wire Guider Ship Parking Tool (With Telescopic Rod)                                    Amazon on special offer £11.50. (Search - Mooring aids)

• Thanks 1

Boat - sorted apart from diesel tank only half full. I could fuel here but need some diesel bug treatment so will call in at  Boulters. Berthing ropes are far too thick / long too.

We have done the cafe and factory shop now at Tesco. 

There is a distinct danger we might actually sail this afternoon 

Griff

• Like 3