Clive - Dungraftin

BroadAmbition

Just passed Springers Retreat at Griffs Corner on the Ant - Looking good. 

At some point this year I will strim the lot also push on and open up another six feet. 

It’s probably no secret by now that the original 40ft clear bank has been extended to what it is today by yours truly. One day it’ll be clear all way t windpump. It’s hard graft. I’ve had to purchase a strong cordless brush cutter with extra batteries, take a strong rake, secateurs, extended clippers (for reeds in the water) and gardening gloves. 

Griff

• Like 11

I think those who try to maintain wild and not-so-wild moorings in a better state for boaters are to be commended. Apart from Griff's efforts, that wild mooring near Neave's Mill has been worked on by others (not members of this forum), with particular focus on reducing the amount of burdock, the seed heads of which will attached themselves to the fur of (in particular) long-haired dogs, to the extent that a trip to the vet might be necessary to get them cut out, as well as gradually extending the mooring towards the mill.

I am also aware of a small group of dedicated 'gardeners', who have kept the wild moorings on Fleet Dyke available, by judicious strimming/hacking. Not to mention the EA moorings in Fleet Dyke, which a few years ago were overgrown with thistles and burdock. The parish council used to mow along the back of those mooring once or twice a year, which helped, but lack of finance has put an end to that.

If such moorings can be given attention by those who are about in the Winter and early Spring, holiday makers in their hire boats WILL make use of them during the Summer and they become almost self-maintaining. Every little helps and it is really nothing more than an extension of the activities of the wherrymen of days gone by, who carried out 'gardening' during their voyages, simply to keep the wind available to them.

• Like 15

Hi 

I am Clive's daughter Alison I have just joined as dungraftin2. 

I hope you will all help as I find my feet been a boat owner. I have been lucky that Charlie Rob and Jan have been a great help with sorting stuff out. 

I hope you all will wave and make me feel welcome x

• Like 25
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Dungraftin2 said:

Hi 

I am Clive's daughter Alison I have just joined as dungraftin2. 

I hope you will all help as I find my feet been a boat owner. I have been lucky that Charlie Rob and Jan have been a great help with sorting stuff out. 

I hope you all will wave and make me feel welcome x

Hi Alison

Hope you have many hours of pleasure on Dungraftin as I know your dad did.

• Like 2

A warm welcome to the forum Alison.

Graham and I took ownership of a Hampton ( it’s been a huge learning curve ) only 6 weeks ago  and have been following how your weekend has gone with great interest.  Looking forward to hearing about your future adventures :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Just passed Springers Retreat at Griffs Corner on the Ant - Looking good. 

I presume you are referring to how the mooring looks.
Boat looks ok, would look better newly painted (🥲). 
If you’re referring to the skipper, I know it’s April 1st 😂

The mooring is nice and dry and fairly clean of goose poo at the moment. I’ll be down Fleet Dyke this week, may get the giant scissors out. 

• Like 3

Welcome onboard Alison

Sounds as though you've had great support over the weekend from some forum members, which will get you off to a great start.

Happy cruising .........

• Like 1

I presume you are referring to how the mooring looks.
Boat looks ok, would look better newly painted (🥲). 
If you’re referring to the skipper, I know it’s April 1st 😂

I was referring to your boat

Stating the same about skipper goes without saying I would hope :default_icon_kiss:

The mooring are looking in good shape all the same, they seem to be getting used and established recently - Good :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 2

We, today was so a great start reversed myself out of the neat shed at 8.30 am Turn the boat around completely lost hit the boat hard on the mooring in front and scrapped her. 

Then got back to Moorings to take my son to the train station and pick the hubby up and completed lost again had a fully panic. Rang Robert from the boatyard to come to my rescue I had somehow ended up for end of the Boatyard. Rob moored us felt so disappointed 🙁  

But I won't give up might wait to paint it until I crack this driving 😆 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dungraftin2 said:

We, today was so a great start reversed myself out of the neat shed at 8.30 am Turn the boat around completely lost hit the boat hard on the mooring in front and scrapped her. 

Then got back to Moorings to take my son to the train station and pick the hubby up and completed lost again had a fully panic. Rang Robert from the boatyard to come to my rescue I had somehow ended up for end of the Boatyard. Rob moored us felt so disappointed 🙁  

Never give up! Practise makes perfect! :default_biggrin:

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Dungraftin2 said:

Good idea. I’m three years in and just at that stage of repainting. 
I’ve racked up over 60 weeks of practice now. At a week a year in a hire boat that’s a lifetime and I still feel nervous for each mooring!

But it has got easier, far easier, so as Helen says, keep practising. Go out on Barton Broad and go round and round, forward and back, use the channel markets as targets for reversing etc. You’ll get to know your own boat. 
Have fun!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dungraftin2 said:

you wont be the first- or last person to mess up, it happens- even to the best of us, dont forget, take things slowly.

• Like 7

I do believe too, that practice makes perfect. We've all messed up from time to time, it happens, except for Griff of course :default_biggrin:

I reckon by the Summer you'll be taking Dungraftin through Wroxham Bridge backwards 

All the best and good luck 

Grace x

• Like 4

What everyone else says 👍 We do really all get it wrong sometimes especially at first but even after years of experience. You'll laugh about this oneday and before you know it you will be the one giving a beginner helpful advice.

Carry on regardless 🙂

• Like 7
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

A good place to get plenty of advice and tutorials is around a sales pontoon. They always seem to try and tell you how to do it without it costing you a penny. :default_biggrin:.Take it easy and enjoy 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Must clarify not buying or selling but a place to practice maneuvering .

We've all messed up from time to time, it happens, except for Griff of course 

Of course I don't - When I'm alongside - underway is another matter

And of course you couldn't be further than the truth, I'd need an abacus to keep check of the amount of times I've cocked it right up, the worst of which a couple of years ago was that time I tried to get 'B.A' along side up river of Ludham bridge in a strong wind to take the top down for a bridge transit, that nearly ended up in a complete disaster, a proper schoolboy error.  It was well documented on our underway on the H2O thread

Griff

• Like 1

Today left mooring sailed to Thurne Red Lion as it was my birthday all going well until I moored up great but then there were no rings 😒 had to turn around and moor on the opposite side well what can I say wind took me lost push off the hook. 

With some slow and steady bumps and some friendly person helping at Mooring and pulling us in we made it few 😌

• Like 6