Clive - Dungraftin

BroadAmbition

We were informed there was a Richo’s aft ccckpit hire boat stuck under Ludham bridge thereby blocking navigation. By the time we arrived Richo’s yard staff had extracted it and were emptying the water drums. 

We arrived in Horning  to find all berths taken. Swan Inn moorings no longer operational. There was a day boat on end of t green. I thought to mysen once they move I can get 25ft in there so we meandered up down till they left. The benefit of a Hampton Safari 

Griff

IMG_4099.jpeg

IMG_4098.jpeg

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, grendel said:

25 foot, generally, if you can see 3 mooring posts you will fit.

That's where Old Parge has been going wrong we have got 35 foot and three posts is always tempting when things are busy

I should know better ( Grendel we are talking about stern on I hope :default_biggrin:).

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 2

Underway yesterday I noticed the transom fenders needed adjustment. The middle one was constantly in the water. So, onboard with em, cleaned and re-sited. Much better. 

Last night was a stir fry onboard. Clives Daughter (Alison) is vegan, this did not stop her producing a fine chicken dinner. Then after an extended Purdey walk it was into the Swan for the remainder of the evening. I got swamped by very attractive girly staff and customers as per the norm. They all said they wanted to meet Purdey but I knew better :default_rolleyes:

This morning, after Breakfast rolls from the shop and after a much more comfortable bunk l(extended it) it was time for a fettle. Clive had fitted a disability folding handrail on the stern. It was proving to be a hazard having to travers round it and an accident waiting to happen. So, off it came and replaced with a much more user  friendly affair

Griff

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

• Like 5

Then it was time to sail. Only the Bmc 1:5 didn’t want to join the party. I’m suspecting tired glow plugs and a slight air leak within the fuel system. After cracking open the injector feeds , bleeding the system it roared into life. Then I had to top up the coolant (Again) and bleed the calorifier, now we have hot domestic water - Good

’B.A’ came alongside us to offer assistance just as I got her running - Sodden Typical.  I suffered two points of spanner rash too

Griff

• Like 6

Be very careful if you decide to remove the glow plugs as they carbon up and snap off when you try to unscrew them a careful back and forth a bit at a time normally does the trick. The 1.5 injection pump does have a habit of leaking past the seals so might be something to keep an eye on if you continue to have to bleed it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By now it was 1200. Sailed to Boulters. Topped diesel tank which was only half full. Allison will in future brim the diesel on return to their home berth. Purchased some diesel treatment to administer ever time she is refuelled. Robbed some white marine rubber sealant for the hand rail holes. Filled up with f/w

Then off to Salhouse for stern on berthing evolutions , mudweighting and lots of theory instructions. 

Sailed for Wroxham, enroute did lots of side on mooring practice. In and out of Wroxham pointing out berthing options now enroute for Womack water. More stern on practice and hopefully overnight. Dinner onboard will be shepherds pie but with pork  - already prepared 

Griff

• Like 4

We have learnt that Dungraftin has serious prop walk to Stbd when going astern. She refuses point blank to turn to Port when going astern. This is fine as long as they are aware.

When going ahead she comes about in her own length to Stbd but not so tight to Port.(Normal ) She maintains a true steady course going ahead with little input from the helm required. I feel the Bmc might benefit from attention the engine mounts as not quite balanced at low revs, otherwise - fine

Griff 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Underway yesterday I noticed the transom fenders needed adjustment. The middle one was constantly in the water. So, onboard with em, cleaned and re-sited. Much better. 

Last night was a stir fry onboard. Clives Daughter (Alison) is vegan, this did not stop her producing a fine chicken dinner. Then after an extended Purdey walk it was into the Swan for the remainder of the evening. I got swamped by very attractive girly staff and customers as per the norm. They all said they wanted to meet Purdey but I knew better :default_rolleyes:

This morning, after Breakfast rolls from the shop and after a much more comfortable bunk l(extended it) it was time for a fettle. Clive had fitted a disability folding handrail on the stern. It was proving to be a hazard having to travers round it and an accident waiting to happen. So, off it came and replaced with a much more user  friendly affair

Griff

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

12 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

We have learnt that Dungraftin has serious prop walk to Stbd when going astern. She refuses point blank to turn to Port when going astern

Exactly the same as Mermaid. Is this a Hampton thing?

18 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Exactly the same as Mermaid. Is this a Hampton thing?

Not just Hamptons, when we were hiring Horizon 35s they had the same starboard drift going astern. Some seemed more pronounced than others. I wasn't sure if it was the prop or it was a balance issue, a bit lower in the water at the back  starboard side would create more drag that side going astern? Maybe a combination? Always seemed fine going ahead. Never noticed it on other hire boats or our syndicate boat.

I suggest it is because the prop has a coarse pitch.  This is normal on hire boats, as we want them to have power in astern!  The Hampton has a small waterline length, which will also have an effect.

It could also be because one or more of the blade tips have been slightly damaged and bent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bucket said:

Always seemed fine going ahead. Never noticed it on other hire boats

Actually it is happening all the time, in both ahead and astern, but you are automatically steering to compensate, so you don't notice.  When going astern, the rudder is now "in front" of the propellor, so you cannot steer to compensate.

Try going across open water, such as Barton Broad at a moderate speed, in a dead straight line.  Then stop the engine, without touching the position of the wheel.  You might be surprised how much the boat will veer off to starboard before it stops.

If the stern "kicks" to starboard, you have a left hand propellor, which is also standard for the Broads.

• Like 5

This morning the Bmc struggled at first but did the roar into life on second attempt. Big relief as no spanner rash.

We are cruising in company with ‘B.A’ to Sutton. I have noticed that at the same river speed, the wash off Dungraftin is half as much again as what ‘B.A’ produces. It’s overcast and grey. The rivers are still too high

Griff

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BroadAmbition said:

I have noticed that at the same river speed, the wash off Dungraftin is half as much again as what ‘B.A’ produces.

Classic case of waterline length, on a displacement hull.  The longer the boat, the more speed, the less wash and usually, less engine power needed.

BA also has a much better profile to the bottom at the stern.  Much better than the Hampton, where the back of the hull is effectively "sawn off" by the transom.

6 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

This morning the Bmc struggled at first but did the roar into life on second attempt. Big relief as no spanner rash.

If you have a clip on ammeter, it is worth testing the current through the feed wire to the glow plugs.  You should have about 25 amps, as each plug takes a bit over 5 amps.  If you only have 10 amps, then a couple of the plugs are not working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

We are cruising in company with ‘B.A’ to Sutton.

Nice to see you both, sorry I didn’t have my camera ready sooner.

BFBF9898-38CD-4EB0-80D6-CD3920419D8C.thumb.jpeg.83642df4c17ab4780eb1f6ccedf7e6a0.jpeg

• Like 3