White Horse Upton

NorfolkNog

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I had lunch there about a month ago and it was very busy nearly everyone was eating. I am up next week for 4 days and will probably go there on one of those days for lunch. I hope it doesn’t close. I also read yesterday that the New Inn at Rockland closed on 31st of October.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I was there a couple of months ago and it wasn't rammed but seemed fairly busy.

I think it must be very hard for a business to be run by a committee, not just because of the difficulty in getting decisions made (as referenced in the article) but because the sort of people willing to sit on committees are not usually the most commercially-aware.

A pub has to be run as a business, has to be kept up to date and needs to advertise and continue to keep itself relevant.

I think they're right that a £37K loss isn't fatal, but assuming they own the building and aren't beholden to a landlord or pubco then actually it's not very good.

• Like 2

The trouble with many community run pubs , is that they often have very large wage bills , tbh far higher than it is necessary .

the Broads area has seen a drought of chefs this last few years meaning those few in the area are able to command higher than usual wages , and obviously the manager would expect to earn more than the chef , I would expect their two wages to be easily in the region of £80k p.a which is unsustainable for a village pub on top of other wages and bills .

in our area the community pub is managed and operated by a group of the “owners” and the only full time paid staff member is their chef , this pub is making a healthy profit and is quieter than the White Horse 

• Like 3

As a now retired  Chef.Nearly all my working life I was underpaid.I am highly skilled.Just like skilled builders, Electrians,plumbers. Etc.Covid highlighted certain things.Many Chefs were layed  off.Many found other jobs ;better paid and socialable hours.Since we've  moved up here  I found to be Frank many of the menus are the same with little imagination. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

How is a loss of £37k not fatal for a community pub?

That money has to be found by someone surely. Suppliers, staff , bills and insurances all have to paid or someone will pull the plug for them.

Or what am I missing?

Because in previous years they have made a profit, and as a community pub, they haven't paid it out in dividends, but kept it as reserves. It will be those reserves which will see them through the bad years, such as the last one. However they have limited time to turn it around before the reserves run out and then it will be game over.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...