Herring Bridge

batrabill

2 minutes ago, marshman said:

If this is an IDB initiative, does this mean that the farmers will be able to plough up more grazing marshes?

Exactly!

Those meadows that they now want to pump more quickly, are already doing their job, as washlands, to retain excess rainwater.  So if they want to pump them into the river before the river can cope with it, where is all that water going to go now?  Wroxham, perhaps?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marshman said:

but is this an EA or an IDB plan? 

I didn't notice, to be honest.  Like you I refuse to pay for what should be a free website but it does allow you to read an article about once every 3 days, so I make my choices sparingly!

I have just been on the phone with a certain Billy Day (of national pike notoriety) and he agrees with me that this is only part of the problem and could well make matters worse.

8 minutes ago, marshman said:

To be fair most of the pumping is usually timed to coincide with the ebb!

But the ebb, we are told, can no longer get rid of it.  Which is why we have had all this water lying around on the northern Broads for the last several months.

The minutes are now available on Duncan Bakers website.

FLOODING MEETING UPDATE - PLEASE SHARE

Thank you again to everyone who attended my public meeting on flooding on Friday 2nd February. This was a fantastic meeting and we have lots to take away from it.

The full minutes from this meeting are now published and available to read on my website please follow the link below:

https://www.duncanbaker.org.uk/news/flooding-public-meeting-minutes?fbclid=IwAR2oob-ZZibmnR67OVdwy8Qz0jkl7fDohFo-xmpgfmSIaOChfMFa7oLRskY 

I would like to give a special thanks to Michelle from my office for taking such detailed minutes.

Given the technical nature and comprehensiveness of the minutes, can I ask for your understanding if any nuances may have been missed. However, we hope to have captured most pertinent points over the 16 pages!

I am anticipating reconvening this meeting again with all of the stakeholders in the late summer as I am keen to ensure continuity and progress on the issues. I want those accountable to ensure they have started to deliver on their promises.

Thank you once again to everyone involved. I look forward to continuing to work closely with the panelists and local communities moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Has anyone heard about a hireboat running aground near Stracey Arm's this week, I overheard a conversation but didn't think much of it with the Rivers been so high then remembered about the lack of Dredging down the bure. 

I think we should be reporting groundings along this stretch to the Broads Authority, especially if you are nowhere near the banks, if we build up enough reports then they can no longer ignore the situation and say dredging isnt necessary.

• Like 1

Just now, grendel said:

I think we should be reporting groundings along this stretch to the Broads Authority, especially if you are nowhere near the banks, if we build up enough reports then they can no longer ignore the situation and say dredging isnt necessary.

I would have reported it if I had witnessed and not heard it👍

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 15:46, BrundallNavy said:

The amount of water coming in from the sea should be the same as what flows out, but the problem is as Vaughan stated there is a an abundance of run of water joining it from land so it therefore exceeds the ability of the water to flow out in the same time scale. 

I felt from the meeting that there is no joined up thinking between the various agencies to try and come to a solution. 

I think that is the status that we have to contend with, all agencies put their hands in their pockets as taking responsibility may land them with the cost of flood alleviation - EA particular, some years ago, had to publicly acknowledge that they protected more affluent homes, which led to public outcry and the £500m+ River Thames Scheme with the construction of two new flood relief channels  at Runnymede and Spelthorne.

At the time, many factors were quoted - guess what? the same as here, increased house building, removal of soak plains, changes to agriculture, changes to dredging practice - however, more recently these have been cited as purely environmental changes such as snow fall, tides, climate change....

There is a narrative and a truth, what we need is a single version of the truth, and until all agencies agree what it is, there will not be a solution.

• Like 1

Don't think you will have to worry about any plans in the the short term - this week we have had nearly another inch of rain cumulatively so any expectation of lower levels will have been blown totally out of the water - unless it flows out of the rivers over Herring Bridge!

This amount of rain on top of existing levels will do nothing for lower lying levels - I have never seen anything like it on land away from the river, let alone anywhere near a river! Some local farmers even on light heathland have not been able to get on their land since about October. With another cooler snap likely, thats not going to help either - perhaps some sun would help!

We just need it to stop raining for at least 3/4 weeks to see any sign of rivers receding

• Like 3

It is indeed pouring with rain again this morning. The road outside NBD's yard has been flooded again all week and will only be more so after this weekend. 

On a slightly different tangent perhaps, I drove over Herring Bridge a few days ago on my way from Lowestoft back to Great Yarmouth. It lands you in an industrial area of GY and might not seem of much advantage if you are passing through. But it does avoid Gapton Hall which is always jammed up in the summer months. It avoids going over Breydon Bridge which again causes queues when lifted. And it avoids having to go anywhere near the roundabout that takes you to the Vauxhall caravan site.

I had wondered why they were putting a third crossing in at all, but can see the advantage it may bring to drivers depending on your journey's start and end.

Looking again at my figures, which are by no means a proper weather station totals, but merely me trying to remember from day to day, I can see that I have severely underestimated the total  - I reckon its probably around 55mm or over 2 inches. This weekend alone has seen around an additional inch falling on already saturated ground.

In other words its been pretty wet!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Looking again at my figures, which are by no means a proper weather station totals, but merely me trying to remember from day to day, I can see that I have severely underestimated the total  - I reckon its probably around 55mm or over 2 inches. This weekend alone has seen around an additional inch falling on already saturated ground.

In other words its been pretty wet!!!

I agree rain has been a major factor, also we shouldnt disregard the wind factor which again has been far more  prevalent the last couple of years, a major factor with tide locking and holding back the flow of ebb tides.

Fred