Roadworks 2024

Thank you Cambridge. Just in time for Easter there's about two miles of 40mph restriction just before the A11 turn off on the bypass. Say's it's to do with barrier safety so could be done by easter I suppose. Fingers crossed.

15 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Thank you Cambridge. Just in time for Easter there's about two miles of 40mph restriction just before the A11 turn off on the bypass. Say's it's to do with barrier safety so could be done by easter I suppose. Fingers crossed.

Think yourself lucky last week the A14 was completely closed due to flooding, the queue was almost up to the traffic camera. 

• Like 1

I've been reading about this on local news media. It has been a very serious situation with the A14 being flooded by water from the adjoining land. We were fortunate that the road had two lanes open when we came back up there from London on Thursday last week. They had pumped away 10 million litres of water over the previous week.

• Like 1

If anyone's travelling that way this afternoon, the A14 eastbound carriageway is currently closed at Rowley Mile near Newmarket. A car has hit a petrol pump at the services causing a fire.

On 09/03/2024 at 12:27, floydraser said:

If you’re talking about the A14 Newmarket Bypass, it’s not so long ago since that stretch of the road had roadworks that took quite a long time to complete.  Signage there suggests that they’re emergency works, but it does seem odd that these repairs are necessary already.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Signage there suggests that they’re emergency works, but it does seem odd that these repairs are necessary already.

They are having to do these emergency flood relief works on the eastbound side as per my post above. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mouldy said:

If you’re talking about the A14 Newmarket Bypass, it’s not so long ago since that stretch of the road had roadworks that took quite a long time to complete.  Signage there suggests that they’re emergency works, but it does seem odd that these repairs are necessary already.

Correct, I apologise to Cambridge. :default_blush:

• Like 1

At Alkham where we hold our Astronomy meetings they have been pumping into tankers and taking the water away since early december, its an operation that has been running 24/7 since they started, at first they had several tankers and were filling up as fast as possible then taking elsewhere to empty (its a low point in the valley so nowhere lower to pump to) now they just have 2 tankers, still taking it turn and turn about to fill up and empty elsewghere, unfortunately this operation blocks over half of the parking at the village hall, making it more difficult.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Has Elsewhere flooded yet ?

not sure- lets find it on a map. well it seems most are cafes, there is one (an estate agent) that is temporarily closed, near the river thames- so the answer has to be - maybe

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m all for speed cameras where they reduce the risk of accidents.  But this morning on the A14 roadworks section there were 3 safety camera vans one at the beginning one in the middle and another one just before the end.  Their only purpose for having 3 is a money making exercise and nothing to do with road safety. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

I’m all for speed cameras where they reduce the risk of accidents.  But this morning on the A14 roadworks section there were 3 safety camera vans one at the beginning one in the middle and another one just before the end.  Their only purpose for having 3 is a money making exercise and nothing to do with road safety. 

And that is with a mile or more of road restricted by a lane closure before you reach the roadworks.

Fred

• Like 1

I was amused that the A14 road works was showing a sign indicating "No Visibility" or words to that effect, as the likely end-date. I was less amused by the fact that Google Maps was neither showing the ensuing delays on their route nor factoring the delay into your journey time until you were in the mess itself with no chance to detour into Newmarket to avoid it. I am increasingly concerned that Google Maps is in league with Highways England in their self-appointed mission to keep as much traffic as they can tied up in roadworks for as long as possible. 

9 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I was amused that the A14 road works was showing a sign indicating "No Visibility" or words to that effect, as the likely end-date. I was less amused by the fact that Google Maps was neither showing the ensuing delays on their route nor factoring the delay into your journey time until you were in the mess itself with no chance to detour into Newmarket to avoid it. I am increasingly concerned that Google Maps is in league with Highways England in their self-appointed mission to keep as much traffic as they can tied up in roadworks for as long as possible. 

Trouble is with people detouring of through Newmarket that then becomes gridlocked taking even longer, it was bad enough when the A11 used to run through there with much less traffic than today.

Fred

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Trouble is with people detouring of through Newmarket that then becomes gridlocked taking even longer, it was bad enough when the A11 used to run through there with much less traffic than today.

I worked in Newmarket in recent years and the traffic can be horrendous. The biggest issue is the corner near the Guineas shopping centre is always a bit of a sticking point but, at any random point in time, you might get a procession of dozens of horses crossing, which bring the place to a complete standstill.

• Like 2