An Early Encore

3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Coincidentally, my near neighbour this evening is video blogger Dan (of the One Dan and his Boat channel). I'd not met Dan before so went over to say hello and have some boaty conversation.

I met Dan whilst we were at Potter earlier this week. Nice to see him back on the Broads and hopefully with one of his videos to look forward to.

• Like 1

It was a thumbs down from me for the Fur and Feather. Whilst they were busy I felt the service was too slow (almost an hour's wait and only a brief apology). I ordered fish and chips and it was basic to say the least, my main complaint being the fish was tasteless but the chips weren't great either. The manager asked for feedback when I was paying and so I politely explained.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I met Dan whilst we were at Potter earlier this week. Nice to see him back on the Broads and hopefully with one of his videos to look forward to.

Much of our conversation was about the wind issues. Being on his favoured Brinks Duet he felt it suffered windage a fair bit and would benefit from a bow thruster.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SwanR said:

I’m interested to know how the food is at the Fur and Feather? I haven’t been there for quite a long time. 

Safe travels tomorrow Simon. :default_icon_wave:

I was there a couple of weeks ago, only had lunch of a Chicken BLT which was ok but nothing special.  The beer was pretty good though so I would give them another chance!

IMG_1910.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It was a thumbs down from me for the Fur and Feather. Whilst they were busy I felt the service was too slow (almost an hour's wait and only a brief apology). I ordered fish and chips and it was basic to say the least, my main complaint being the fish was tasteless but the chips weren't great either. The manager asked for feedback when I was paying and so I politely explained.

Our son and his family are in Moonlight Shadow this week.  We met them at HPC to sort the bedding out and went to The Ferry Inn for dinner, before heading back to Brundall and Norfolk Lady.

We hadn’t booked, but soon found a table for us all (four adults and three grandchildren).  They’d just switched to a new menu, which certainly looked more like ‘proper’ dishes rather than something out of the Brakes Brothers catalogue.  We did wait quite a long time for the food, but it was very evident that it was a long way removed from what they used to serve.

Our son and daughter in law both had a 12oz gammon steak, which looked really good, thick and well cooked, the wife had lasagne, which she described as freshly made with plenty of mince and sauce, served with a salad of dressed leaves and olives, with garlic bread.  I opted for pie of the day, which turned out to be turkey and mushroom.  Unlike some pies, this was a proper shortcrust number (top and bottom), properly filled and very tasty, served with creamed potatoes, green beans and gravy.

They’ll need to speed service up before we get to ‘peak,’ but after a winter plagued with closures due to the flooding, it was good to see the place busy again and serving food that would entice me back.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good to know that The Ferry Inn in Horning is improved. We must try it out next trip.

We had lunch in The Old Mill in Wroxham yesterday. We both had a vegetarian burger with chips.  A simple meal, but it was very good for what it was, with home-made coleslaw. The place was heaving, but then it was a bank holiday. We were lucky to get a table.

Sorry for thread drift. Your holiday tale is turning into a pub/cafe review site.

:default_coat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Early alarm this morning to be away at 8am and return the boat. We used 60 litres of diesel which I thought was reasonable given the mileage we'd done and the heating we'd used. Straightforward journey home.

Overall a very satisfying trip and great to experience "quiet and peaceful" boating when it felt like the season hadn't yet begun. I certainly noticed the cold, especially at night when I wasn't on electric and couldn't use my low wattage fan heater. Overall though the weather was reasonable despite the wind being challenging at times. Brinks Encore was a comfortable boat but a little underwhelming in some ways - I'll write about that on a separate thread.

Next boating for me is on the Thames in May then returning to the Broads in September.

• Like 11

Thanks for the write up Simon. March is a lovely time to be on the rivers, but not without heating!

I’ll be interested in your Thames trip, so I hope you’ll favour us with an account of that trip. 

• Like 2

Great write up Simon and good to see you even if it was only from the other side of the river each time!   Looking forward to your review and also your Thames trip

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I certainly noticed the cold, especially at night

Two duvets does the trick, works for us even in the coldest weather. Plus Mrs Nog's feet :default_norty:

Thanks for taking us with you on your trip Simon :91_thumbsup:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Next boating for me is on the Thames in May

Be very interested in your write up of this trip we are booked from Kris cruisers early September never done the Thames before so any tips , hints and advice will be very welcome 

Susan

• Like 2

Thanks all for your kind comments. Yes I'll certainly be writing up the Thames trip.

Malcom, I was warm enough in bed as I'd brought my sleeping bag with me and I was toasty in that with the duvet on top. What I always struggle with though is being cold out of bed during night time bathroom visits and first thing in the morning before the heating gets going. I tried leaving the fan heater on one night when I had electric but found it too noisy.

• Like 1