An Early Encore

Nice to see you at Neatishead. Sorry we didn't join you in the pub. I'd made the mistake of cooking a large brunch and we were still stuffed early evening.

Pozzick has a thing about small dogs and puppies, he's a friendly character and just wants to play. 

• Like 1

We headed for Stalham first of all today, partly for Tesco and partly because it's a nice cruise anyway. It turned out quite a bright morning and not as cold. Between Neatishead and Stalham we saw only two boats. At Richardsons there were some gaps on Swan Quay so I was able to pull in there for water (it's still off at Neatishead) and Tesco. Suzie is never especially impressed when I leave her on the boat but needs must sometimes. Wayford Bridge was the next destination to see if there was any possibility of squeezing under. On arrival there only 6 foot 6 showing so not a chance (we need 6 foot 10). I turned around and decided to try my luck at one of the wild moorings above Barton Broad. Some of them are looking worse for wear after many weeks of being underwater. I finished up opting for Paddy's Lane instead and we had a very peaceful couple of hours there. This afternoon's final destination was St Benets. Although Suzie and I had a walk just before we left Paddy's Lane, when we were crossing Barton she was whining at the stern door as if trying to convince me she was in urgent need of a comfort break. I relented and made an impromptu mooring just on the right as we left Barton, only to soon realised it had been a typical doggy con trick all along. Oh well, it was actually a very pretty spot and so we stopped there for a short while and enjoyed the scenery. Carrying on downstream there were only two boats at How Hill and not many more than that at Ludham Bridge. We arrived at St. Benets around 4 and Suzie enjoyed herself off the lead as there were no livestock around.

20240326_135226.jpg

20240326_105109.jpg

20240326_082039.jpg

20240326_135315.jpg

20240326_142333.jpg

20240326_142410.jpg

20240326_074945.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I relented and made an impromptu mooring just on the right as we left Barton, only to soon realised it had been a typical doggy con trick all along.

I’ve been taken in by that trick before now. Once at those bankside moorings just upstream of Hunsett Mill, the ones you can’t moor at now due to the dredging spoil being offloaded there. I pulled in, grabbed both ropes, let Finlay jump off, (didn’t need a wee!) told him to get back onboard, got back on myself and set off again, all in one fairly seamless motion, I think much to the surprise from another boater who was moored up there!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Broads01 said:

You would say correctly.

You get some great pictures of your Shiz-tzu.  As soon as we point a camera towards ours she turns round and shows us her bum.  Maybe she's camera shy? :default_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Happy said:

You get some great pictures of your Shiz-tzu.  As soon as we point a camera towards ours she turns round and shows us her bum.  Maybe she's camera shy? :default_rolleyes:

In the other hand, she could be expressing her feelings towards your photographic technique!:default_hiding:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today I decided to do something different as you've seen, Bure Valley Railway. I like steam railways plus this one had an added interest for me - my late father volunteered there briefly before he became ill. Despite this I'd never visited personally so it was a but of a pilgrimage today.

Before setting off for Wroxham, we had another walk as far as the altar cross and we both enjoyed the walk as much as yesterday. I'd forgotten that of you stand by the cross, you can see across to the Thurne, Thurne Mill and Womack, not to mention much of Fleet Dyke in a southerly direction. It was blowy and a bit wintry though so once we'd set off I didn't open the helm-side roof so much today. I reverted to my cold weather M.O. of repeatedly getting frustrated by being inside, opening the roof for a few minutes of cold air and then getting too cold so shutting it again. I turned in to Wroxham Broad and did mudweight briefly but it was too windy to feel comfortable so we continued in to Wroxham and moored at Barnes Brinkcraft.

I enjoyed the Bure Valley Railway experience. It's probably one of the newer preserved railways having opened in 1990 on the site of an old passenger branch line (which was still used for freight until 1981). It trundles it's way slowly 9 miles to Aylsham where you get off and have time to visit the cafe before the return journey. It's narrow gauge so the locos and rolling stock are relatively tiny and they sort of shake you gently from side to side as they move along. Suzie isn't always a relaxed traveller, especially in the car but I found myself relaxed and sleepy and she was the same.

We returned to the boat around 4 and shortly set off for Horning. I was thinking of mooring at the Ferry Inn but couldn't believe my luck when there was a gap just big enough for us on the Staithe. What the photo doesn't show is there's a boat not far in front of us so I think if we'd have been 35 foot we'd have been struggling. Unfortunately the kitchen at The Swan was closed but I've had a decent meal at The New Inn instead.

20240327_131132.jpg

20240327_144509.jpg

20240327_131958.jpg

• Like 11

Hi I’m really enjoying your holiday tale  /blog glad you enjoyed the bure valley railway if you happen to travel on there again it’s worth a short walk in to Aylsham lots of independent shops and nice cafes 😁

I’ve been lucky to drive some of the trains when I was younger and had more time. 

enjoy the rest of your trip. 
Roy 

• Like 2

Today started with my third engineer call out of the week. The heating has been working but cutting out after a random length of time and refusing to come back on until a later time. An engineer attended within half an hour and diagnosed an overheating unit. He tried to swap to a replacement unit but the replacement required a different mounting bracket he didn't have. He offered to let me get on my way and for me to phone later for them to return to wherever which I accepted.

First destination was Upton Dyke. I love it down at the Staithe and reckoned on it as a good midday stop and dog walk. Suzie loves the chance to be off the lead and it worked out really well, even if the weather was blowy and inhospitable.

I decided on Womack Staithe next and to call the engineer from there. It was raining hard by the time I arrived but I didn't have any issues mooring. I phoned Barnes again and the engineer duly attended with a new bracket and it was soon job done. Despite 3 call outs, all have been for issues that are just bad luck more than anything and the service I've received has been excellent. I think of it as a great benefit of that premium price I pay for repeated hires - I'm paying someone else to look after the boat for me rather than have the stress of doing it myself and that suits me very well.

Heater fixed, the lure of The Lion and another pint of gluten-free beer was too much to resist. I had to give in and make the short cruise to Thurne. The river was choppy with the wind and I made the mistake of initially mooring on the main river by the mill. Not only did it need a couple of attempts, I soon realised once I'd tied up that the boat would be bouncing up and down all night. I walked down the dyke to scout out the scarce mooring rings and then moved around a short distance. I'd noticed the wind was blowing in to the mill side so I had no issues repositioning. Not so lucky were the couple on the boat who came in just after. Despite being pinned to the bank by the wind on the mill side, they subsequently struggled to moor the boat on the opposite bank, taking several attempts and much flailing of arms at each other. I chatted to them in the pub later and they'd been trying to avoid using the rhond anchors which would have been necessary on my side.

Dinner at The Lion has been lovely as usual.

20240328_125558.jpg

20240328_130613.jpg

20240328_132810.jpg

20240328_140926.jpg

20240328_182326.jpg

• Like 15

It's been blowing quite a hooly this evening. I opened the door to put Suzie out for her last pee and a gust blew it wide open. There is something nice about being in bed on a boat though when you can hear the weather outside.

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It's been blowing quite a hooly this evening. I opened the door to put Suzie out for her last pee and a gust blew it wide open. There is something nice about being in bed on a boat though when you can hear the weather outside.

Except when it’s blowing a hoolie and you know that you have an early appointment the following morning at Boulter’s and then have to return to your home mooring. I didn’t sleep well last night, waking quite frequently between slightly anxious dreams.

• Sad 1

Last full day today. It was a bright, blustery morning at Thurne and Suzie enjoyed another sprint down the side of the dyke.

Setting off it was initial destination unknown. I planned to finish up at Salhouse but had no intention of going directly there. I decided to turn up the Ant once again and later remembered Wood End Staithe which I've only visited once and on that occasion it was occupied. What a peaceful spot it is and sheltered from the openness of the Broad. It felt like I'd found a secret mooring which only a select few know exist. I think it's possible to walk from there but there was plenty of mud since the floods so Suzie and I didn't venture very far. I just took in a cup of coffee and the peace..I decided on How Hill next which is one of my favourite dog walking spots, so Suzie had her second sprint of the day there. It didn't feel like a Bank Holiday with only a handful of boats about. 

This afternoon we headed for Salhouse. It was good sailing weather so I'm surprised to have seen very few sailing boats this week but I did have some fun negotiating a fast tacker on the Bure. There was some warmth from the sun when it decided to come out, enough to entice some people in Horning on to their balcony. At Salhouse I picked the spot on the extreme nearest end (as you come in from Horning). It's a good spot because it's effectively at right angles to your neighbours and the view is lovely. Coincidentally, my near neighbour this evening is video blogger Dan (of the One Dan and his Boat channel). I'd not met Dan before so went over to say hello and have some boaty conversation.

This evening I'm at the Fur and Feather, awaiting food. I'm glad I booked a table as it's a busy place.

20240329_103517.jpg

20240329_103621.jpg

20240329_174308.jpg

20240329_174254.jpg

20240329_164312.jpg

20240329_132504.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1