The Bure Hump

Mouldy

1 hour ago, Karizma said:

When we were at the Spring Meet some of us got talking about the Bure Hump and I said that on the way 'up north' i started monitoring the depth under the boat once we'd got past Great Yarmouth Yacht Station, as I didn't really know where the 'Bure Hump' was, so was surprised that at one point the depth got to 1.8 feet but I couldn't really remember where I was on the river :default_dunce:, so promised to try and remember doing something similar on the way back ........ well here are the results - I found 3 'low' areas - so which one is the 'Bure Hump'?

burehump.thumb.jpg.e8780a1da89093eeafb17d0e79c56f91.jpg

A very interesting piece of research. Thank you.

To put it into context, from your post, these are the 'depth under hull' measurements. What has to be added to  give an indication of overall depth?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paladin said:

A very interesting piece of research. Thank you.

To put it into context, from your post, these are the 'depth under hull' measurements. What has to be added to  give an indication of overall depth?

I'm not sure tbh, as I've never calibrated it, but I do know it's pretty accurate in showing the depth under the keel from visual checks travelling in shallow water.

But if nothing else, the results are all relative to each other if not entirely accurate / scientific, and will only cost 2 litres of diesel if anybody wants me to do another one :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

it is my belief that we should report incidents such as this to the broads authority, the more evidence of groundings / touching bottom, we provide them, the less they can argue that the channel is clear and to depth. especially mid channel.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, grendel said:

it is my belief that we should report incidents such as this to the broads authority, the more evidence of groundings / touching bottom, we provide them, the less they can argue that the channel is clear and to depth. especially mid channel.

That may carry some weight for those properties and land that flood upstream too alerting other interested parties. This will add to pressure on flood alleviation all round 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

Just to add, hit something mid channel around start of marker posts. Sounded like going over gravel. 

@Cheesey69 where about do the Marker Posts start in relation to my mapping? any idea? Just interested if the same area as one of my noted low points..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karizma said:

@Cheesey69 where about do the Marker Posts start in relation to my mapping? any idea? Just interested if the same area as one of my noted low points..........

I had a quick look at the BA depth charts and I'm gonna place a bet - the red box I've drawn here corresponds with your 1'9" sounding, and I think that's between the 4th and 5th marker post (when heading downstream)...

image.png.e3f648ab83d8fe57984f902e312440f9.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1