Broom Owners Club Sailing Pageant

9 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Not a wooden one amongst them :default_coat:

No, unfortunately no woodies present today

4 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Not that I saw. 

No, they were all more recent, and mainly the larger type boats

There were 2 Broom 29 Soft Tops in the lead squadron, and I had a good chat with them both afterwards, over dinner. 

I stayed around for the dinner at the White Heron, then left at about 9.00

But rather than going home, I have made my way to St.Ives, arriving at 22:30, and am spending the night aboard A Frayed Knot

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

There are a lot of photos, all a bit grey, wet and overcast.

Time for a game of ' spot the Bikertov' 😎

IMG_20240525_142437.jpg

IMG_20240525_142245.jpg

IMG_20240525_142215.jpg

IMG_20240525_142104.jpg

IMG_20240525_141959.jpg

IMG_20240525_141902.jpg

IMG_20240525_141833.jpg

IMG_20240525_141719.jpg

IMG_20240525_141654.jpg

IMG_20240525_141651.jpg

IMG_20240525_141502.jpg

IMG_20240525_141442.jpg

IMG_20240525_141337.jpg

IMG_20240525_141239.jpg

IMG_20240525_141151.jpg

IMG_20240525_141107.jpg

IMG_20240525_141006.jpg

IMG_20240525_140925.jpg

IMG_20240525_140849.jpg

IMG_20240525_140715.jpg

IMG_20240525_140641.jpg

IMG_20240525_140601.jpg

IMG_20240525_140420.jpg

Thank you for all of the photographs.   Can I ask where did you take them from?   I dont recognise the mooring.  (nothing new there then).   Such a shame about the weather.    I cant wait for Flaming June!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bikertov said:

No, unfortunately no woodies present today

No, they were all more recent, and mainly the larger type boats

There were 2 Broom 29 Soft Tops in the lead squadron, and I had a good chat with them both afterwards, over dinner. 

Unfortunately that pretty much sums up the BOC. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Unfortunately that pretty much sums up the BOC.

I have heard somewhere that they are rather selective.  Apparently they don't accept the Ocean 30 as it is not "a Broom"

I wonder what Ian Mackintosh would have had to say about that?

45 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have heard somewhere that they are rather selective.  Apparently they don't accept the Ocean 30 as it is not "a Broom"

I’m not allowed in - my boat was fitted out elsewhere, although the moulding is an Aquafibre.

Bothered?  Not really!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Yes, a little bit. It has to be an official Broom build and fit out

As mine has the Broom build plate (No 29-55) luckily that counts !

By the way, I met someone there yesterday that knows you Vaughan, in a 29 Soft Top - it's a small world !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I know the hull for the Ocean 30 is the same Rip Martins design used by the centre cockpit Broom 30 and moulded by Aquafibre, but I always shared the same view that it wasn't a "proper" Broom.

It's entirely possible I'm just equally snobbish, as we owned a "real" 30 in the past. Weren't a substantial number of Oceans built by people other than Brooms though? Isn't calling them a real Broom a bit like people now trying to pass off Aquafibre 32s at a premium as Brooms? And wouldn't producing the less attractive aft cabin MK3 model have conflicted with the Broom 30, if it was an official Broom model?

Just genuinely curious as, whilst we owned a Broom, my history and experience is very much based around the Northern Broads, so some details of Broom's history escaped me.

37 minutes ago, dom said:

Weren't a substantial number of Oceans built

john linford and others moulded a fair few at his workshops at neatishead, almost opposite the ba mooring,  the beginnings of aquafibre

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dom said:

Weren't a substantial number of Oceans built by people other than Brooms though?

My parents owned two, one was fitted out by Richard Nunn of Wroxham(sold through LH Jones st Ives) and the other was a Moonraker 30 (JCL?)both good quality boats but deffo not Brooms. I've not personally seen any reference to Ocean 30 ever being an official Broom(we looked)but I guess the Broom Ocean 37 having somewhat similar lines to the 30 may have fuelled the confusion.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Richard Nunn of Wroxham

I remember the Nunn name from around Wroxham growing up, but can't place a boatbuilder by that name.

Do you know any more about them? I've always been puzzled about a connection between Wroxham and Waldringfield on the Deben. I now wonder if Richard Nunn might have had a connection to Nunn Brothers, Waldringfield.

1 hour ago, gancanny said:

When I bought some equipment from Aquafibre about 15 years ago there was a ocean 30 mould which was earmarked for disposal I was told there was more than one mould and something like 450 hulls produced. My Dad put the order in for 17 of them before selling his Aquafibre shares and setting up on his own. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Mine is a Broom designed and built but I wasn’t able to enter as I was too late. I did chuckle as we passed the convoy and they were all taking pictures of us. 

I did wonder if would get there anyway - sorry I didn't spot you, I was on an Ocean 42 towards the back of the flotilla 

1 hour ago, dom said:

I remember the Nunn name from around Wroxham growing up, but can't place a boatbuilder by that name.

Do you know any more about them? I've always been puzzled about a connection between Wroxham and Waldringfield on the Deben. I now wonder if Richard Nunn might have had a connection to Nunn Brothers, 

I don't know a huge amount but looking at the literature Jones have in their archives, they were based in Ashmanhaugh.(loads of stuff about other makes/models too, in case you hadn't seen it before).

https://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/ocean-30-boats-for-sale.html

https://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/moonraker-30-boats-for-sale.html

I think my Hampton Safari may also have been a Richard Nunn fitout for Geo. Smith, as I think their name is on some of cushions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

I don't know a huge amount but looking at the literature Jones have in their archives, they were based in Ashmanhaugh.(loads of stuff about other makes/models too, in case you hadn't seen it before).

Not surprising the name rings a bell in that case. I lived in Ashmanhaugh at one time. I would have thought anything built there would probably have been moulded by Bridgelands, so possibly fitted out on the same site. I think Paul Bown also used to do some work around there, but I think he was always more concerned with sailing vessels.

I notice the other brochure shows their address as Brimbelow Road, so not far from where I worked at LL and Summercraft. Extremely likely that they might fit out for George Smith in that case, as Duncan Prophet who ran the yard lived on the corner of the road for many years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dom said:

Isn't calling them a real Broom a bit like people now trying to pass off Aquafibre 32s at a premium as Brooms?

Depends what you call passing off.  A large number - around 30 - were fitted out by Brooms for Crown Blue Line in France, to what we called "Crown Class" standard.  I imagine several of these will have found their way back to UK waters by now.

In a similar way, the AF42 "Classique" design was a private moulding by Aquafibre for Crown Cruisers, and only one out of about 100 was ever built for a private owner. The modified "Classique S" class were all fitted out by Brooms for CBL in France.

When is a Broom not a Broom?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I suspect that's the dilemma the owner's club faces. If it has a Broom build plate, it's hard to argue it's not one. If however it doesn't have a plate, how can you differentiate between that and a similar moulding built elsewhere? You'd need to have access to all the old build records, but presumably they're still an asset being included in the ongoing sale of the yard.

I'd imagine in cases like the AF42, Broom probably viewed the arrangement as being "white label" and didn't add plates, but you might know otherwise. I would have thought if they were attaching their name (and reputation) to the builds, the cost for the build plate would probably be fairly substantial and not something a hire yard would have much reason to pay?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dom said:

I'd imagine in cases like the AF42, Broom probably viewed the arrangement as being "white label" and didn't add plates, but you might know otherwise.

Being built after 1992 they all had CE plates, denoting the category (C) and the builder.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Perhaps when it is a beautiful wooden classic Broads Broom design, but considered "too late" to join in a little toddle up the river to Surlingham and back?

Don't you find that rather sad?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Perhaps when it is a beautiful wooden classic Broads Broom design, but considered "too late" to join in a little toddle up the river to Surlingham and back?

Don't you find that rather sad?

The only model I can think of with surviving examples and missing from the club's list is the Robb. Not sure if that's a wilful omission or simple oversight though?