The 2 W's Afloat 1st June 2024

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Enjoying your tale. I'm intrigued to know why you go for moorings for electric - are you needing the heating?

Ha ha 🤣 noooo! We only come to the Broads twice a year so it’s really a sort of comfort thing. We’ve also got quite a few electric cards left over from a couple of years ago. 
Chris and Brenda 

• Like 1

Under way at 0740 hrs accompanied by a million dead midgey things all over the outside of the boat! :default_biggrin: Should arrive at Oulton Broad between 1 and 2 pm hopefully before any rain appears!

Chris and Brenda

• Like 2

It took me a moment to realise why you yelled across as you passed (your definition of poodling seems more like a greyhound 😂), then I realised what the name on the boat was!

It's been quite sunny today despite the looming dark clouds, you might have judged things perfectly to be nice and moored before the heavens open 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, William92 said:

It took me a moment to realise why you yelled across as you passed (your definition of poodling seems more like a greyhound 😂), then I realised what the name on the boat was!

It's been quite sunny today despite the looming dark clouds, you might have judged things perfectly to be nice and moored before the heavens open 😬

lol, the “poodling” applied to Haddiscoe cut! Once on the Waveney we kept to the speed limits (so my GPS informed me 😀). Now moored up at Oulton Broad yacht station, sun shining and a nice breeze. Hope you also reach your destination before anything wet drops out of the sky!

Chris and Brenda

• Like 3

Having a relaxing time listening to the bow slap which we hope will diminish before retiring for the evening later tonight. And as I type this, we’ve just been bumped on the starboard side by a rather large Brooms hire boat!! :default_icon_e_surprised: I wouldn’t have minded but there’s at least 3 boat widths between us and the next boat! And now the heavens have opened up as well! Dinner tonight will be a carvery in the Wherry hotel (if it stops persisting it down!). Have a good evening everyone :default_biggrin:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Back on board after a very good carvery at the Wherry Hotel! Managed to dodge the rain showers there and back as well. TV signal is very poor so got the radio on - helps to minimise the sound of the bow slap :default_biggrin:. Hoping to get under Somerleyton swing bridge tomorrow - about an hour or so before high water (our air draft according to HW is 8’ 6”).

Chris and Brenda

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

I hope you don't snore :default_biggrin:

IMG_20240604_211716528_MFNR.thumb.jpg.a99091c171d1ad7c24d092d55c32220e.jpg

Oo-er!!! That’s a sneaky pic :default_icon_e_biggrin: are you also moored up here? I never hear myself snore but someone else does! :default_hiding:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

A word for the wise, don't disturb the locals by using the 'girlie button' of a morning :default_norty: :default_rolleyes:

I believe someone was boasting two girlie buttons on his current accommodation Howard. I suspect I shall hear him leave in stereo!

Chris - Somerleyton bridge phone number should you need it to open for you 0330 858 4656

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

I believe someone was boasting two girlie buttons on his current accommodation Howard. I suspect I shall hear him leave in stereo!

Chris - Somerleyton bridge phone number should you need it to open for you 0330 858 4656

First use of the girlie buttons this morning and it wasn’t us :default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Bow (and stern) thrusters.

I thought you might say that. In which case as an experienced helmswoman I am going to say that I find that quite sexist and strongly object! ☹️
With apologies for voicing that opinion in the middle of a lovely holiday tale. 

18 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I thought you might say that. In which case as an experienced helmswoman I am going to say that I find that quite sexist and strongly object! ☹️
With apologies for voicing that opinion in the middle of a lovely holiday tale. 

Whoah!  You thought I may say that?  That’s a bit personal, when reference has been made to ‘girlie buttons’ by others on the same thread.  If I were to hire a boat again, it would make no difference to me whether or not it were fitted with a bow thruster.  I’m quite capable of helming without.

Ok, let’s get this thread back on track! Apologies for using the term girlie buttons. As we only have two separate weeks a year on the Broads, I/we don’t have the same experience as some more fortunate members so thrusters are good to have if the need arises. Today we left Oulton Broad at 0920 hrs and headed for Somerleyton swing bridge. Fortunately the bridge had just opened to let an oncoming hire boat through so we nipped through after they’d passed us. Then it was another poodle :default_biggrin: up the haddiscoe cut and then towards Berney Arms. After checking with GY yacht station for timings, we took a leisurely cruise across Breydon. Not too far from Breydon bridge, we saw a hire boat aground, way over to the left of the green marker posts and pointed towards the bridge!! Occupants were still on board and seemed to be ok!? Passed under Vauxhall bridge with about 6” to spare. Brenda took over the helming and I disappeared into the galley to do sausage and mushroom sarnies. Currently closing in on Stracey Arms and it’s started to rain!! Next stop will be Acle hopefully :default_biggrin:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I think the term 'girlie button' is very apt as it could be named after the very brilliant helmswomen we have on here who probably have no need for such a button anyway :default_biggrin:

Sorry Chris and Brenda, must get back on track and what a brilliant track this is, thank you :default_icon_kiss:

Grace x

• Love 1

Just moored up at Acle past the bridge on the BA free moorings on the cafe side of the river. Weather is good now the rain showers have passed. We got the last free mooring on this side, pub moorings are full and there’s 11 boats moored on the other side but still plenty of room left for anyone else. Tonight’s itinerary yet to be decided 😀

Chris and Brenda

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just a quick apology to Mouldy. What I meant was that I thought that might be the answer rather than associating anything specifically with you. I didn’t mean to imply any connection to your good self. 

Now back to the excellent holiday tale … 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Soup followed by rice pudding on board tonight :default_biggrin: it’s turning out to be a glorious evening! Hi to Regal Star being followed by Moonlight Shadow as I type this :default_biggrin:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Left Acle this morning at 8.40 and went with the tide heading for Wroxham. Had a quick detour into Ranworth, only 7 boats moored up when we went past the staithe and a couple mud weighting over in the corner, nothing on the island. Back out onto the river and onwards towards Wroxham. Not long after we continued on the river, we heard a rare (to us!) sound. It was a cuckoo!! Perched high up on the top of a tree. I managed to get a quick pic with my phone but it’s not brilliant. We haven’t heard a cuckoo where we live for decades even though we are in the countryside. Eventually arrived at Wroxham about 1145 and although the NBD moorings to the right as you enter the marina we’re all taken up, I spied one down the bottom so with a bit of a twizzle and a pirouette we are now moored stern on until tomorrow morning. As it’s changeover day tomorrow we have to be away by 0800 - no problem as we are always up before 7! We’re going to have a mooch around the town this afternoon and will most probably eat out tonight :default_biggrin:

Chris and Brenda 

IMG_1604.jpeg

Edited by CeePee1952
Added pic
  • Like 10

I've heard a few this week too. One at Burgh Castle and then a cuckoo calling on the western bank a bend or two downriver of Hardley Flood. Spotted a brown bird fly over the river and then the cuckoo call started up again on that side, so I'm guessing I spotted a cuckoo.

Heard him again in the same spot as we were returning downriver the following morning.

• Like 1