Hiring Yards And Private Boats

How is the Hiring yards fairing with Thier Summer Booking with out Rain of Course Is there a lot of Private Boaters out on the Broads this Year?as No Rise in Vat which will benefits every one On I hope on Diesel Fuel?

I'd agree with our cabby, i'd think late bookings are down due to the comparatively poor weather. 

The first important date is the 28th June when the Scottish schools close, then the holiday bookings should really pick up.

26 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'd agree with our cabby, i'd think late bookings are down due to the comparatively poor weather. 

The first important date is the 28th June when the Scottish schools close, then the holiday bookings should really pick up.

First important day is 16th June first day of fishing season, the biggest single group of hirers both boat and riverside cottages.

Fred

• Like 2

Id forgotten about them, won't affect me until the 30th June when we have a down river race to Thurne and back those ever longer fishing poles are getting to be a navigation hazard. I see they are now advertising 20M 66ft fishing poles..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Id forgotten about them, won't affect me until the 30th June when we have a down river race to Thurne and back those ever longer fishing poles are getting to be a navigation hazard. I see they are now advertising 20M 66ft fishing poles..

Goodness me.

Why do they not fish on the opposite bank?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

TheQ There should  be a a Law on the Lenth of theses Fishing Pole aspecaily on  the Norfolk  Broads as to the Boating season  in full swing very soon . It is OK for Pole Fishing out of the Boating  Season that's  my opinion 

• Like 1

With the rivers so busy, I guess they will be learning quite quickly how to bring them in, either that or get so frustrated with them they give up. If I am in the centre of the river, I don't expect to have to avoid fishing rods, except perhaps on the thurne above potter heigham.h

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wussername said:

Goodness me.

Why do they not fish on the opposite bank?

Probably because there is no access, also they are often fishing between a 3rd and 2/3rds across, it is mainly match fishing that use long poles as it gives better presentation and accuracy over a baited spot and the need to fish where the majority of fish are on a given stretch, this largely depends on the flow and bottom configuration as it is never completely flat or consistent over the width of any river.

Just to be clear I am not defending their use just trying to help non anglers understand when and why they are used in certain locations, being a purely pleasure angler and being mobile with my boat I don`t need or use one on the Broads but  I have done in the past when bank fishing on my local rivers and canals.

Edited to add that the waterways are for everyone and while consideration is needed from all groups towards others perhaps boaters could remember they have access to the whole system while bank anglers only have access to a limited number  of locations, these are few and far between.

Fred

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Edited to add that the waterways are for everyone and while consideration is needed from all groups towards others perhaps boaters could remember they have access to the whole system while bank anglers only have access to a limited number  of locations, these are few and far between.

Get that, but I do not appreciate a torrent of verbal abuse and a load of angry fist shaking when I disturb some twerp lurking in the reeds at the side of a busy river, fishing with a pole that I can’t see.  Either tie a bloody flag on the end to give me a clue, or use a modicum of sense and fish with a rod.  :facepalm:

• Like 15

Just back to the original enquiry about how the boatyard are faring this year. The 16th is a marker date each month for me to compare previous years. I don't record availability across all dates, just the public holidays and the six weeks of school holidays commencing 20th July. For those who are interested, the figures are below:

Boats remaining to be hired on 16th June each year (240 boat types  x 7 weeks - total for hire = 1.680
775 for 2024
637 for 2023
487* for 2022
* 2022 was a year where overseas travel was still partially affected by Covid.... less inclination to travel abroad.  

Availability for the August weeks has hardly changed at all since the 16th May. Going to be a late booking year I think. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Just back to the original enquiry about how the boatyard are faring this year. The 16th is a marker date each month for me to compare previous years. I don't record availability across all dates, just the public holidays and the six weeks of school holidays commencing 20th July. For those who are interested, the figures are below:

Boats remaining to be hired on 16th June each year (240 boat types  x 7 weeks - total for hire = 1.680
775 for 2024
637 for 2023
487* for 2022
* 2022 was a year where overseas travel was still partially affected by Covid.... less inclination to travel abroad.  

Availability for the August weeks has hardly changed at all since the 16th May. Going to be a late booking year I think. 

Maybe time for the yards to look at their prices? :default_rolleyes:

• Like 1