Speeding

I am fully aware that the stretch of the Yare by Strumpshaw RSPB reserve is a water ski area, but does that also allow the large sea going cruisers to open up the throttles and plane along creating what is a HUGE wash, which last week, on our recent visit, even came over the footpath. What was a few minutes earlier, lovely clear water along the margins with Rudd darting all over the place was soon turned into a muddy soup. 

I am only asking as i have witnessed this on most of the occasions that we visit the area and am surprised particularly as this stretch does run adjacent to the RSPB reserve.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Norfolkangler said:

I am fully aware that the stretch of the Yare by Strumpshaw RSPB reserve is a water ski area, but does that also allow the large sea going cruisers to open up the throttles and plane along creating what is a HUGE wash, which last week, on our recent visit, even came over the footpath. What was a few minutes earlier, lovely clear water along the margins with Rudd darting all over the place was soon turned into a muddy soup. 

I am only asking as i have witnessed this on most of the occasions that we visit the area and am surprised particularly as this stretch does run adjacent to the RSPB reserve.  

At a guess I would say no but a report along with photographic evidence where possible to the BA would get the answere you want.

Fred

• Like 1

To reiterate was was said above , if you see antisocial behaviour , dangerous helming , or excessive wake do try and get video evidence and forward it to the BA and Broadsbeat .

If they have the evidence then action can be and in the past has been taken 

broads.control@broads-authority.gov.uk

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Norfolkangler said:

I believe, but I may be wrong, that there is a section of The Yare where craft on trade plates for sale or on survey can be demonstrated or tested at speeds in excess of the river limit.  Dont forget that there are also sections of the southern rivers where water skiing is permitted and that does require more than 6mph to achieve.

• Like 7

I appreciate that its a water ski area,but as you know a speedboat designed for this activity does not give off anywhere near as much wash. I just find it hard to believe that if it is not allowed the RSPB have not made a complaint. 

It was certainly annoying with the noise from twin engines along with the flooded footpath, however from what Mouldy has suggested, which sounds plausible if you are wanting to show off your boat to a prospective buyer and they are allowed, then that's that, but if not then I will certainly vidio it and send off to the BA next time. I have the boat name from last week but no video.  

3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I believe, but I may be wrong, that there is a section of The Yare where craft on trade plates for sale or on survey can be demonstrated or tested at speeds in excess of the river limit.  Dont forget that there are also sections of the southern rivers where water skiing is permitted and that does require more than 6mph to achieve.

• Like 1

I think Mouldy may be right but the use of trade plates is strictly controlled and, times logged etc etc but do complain if you have the boats number and a photo of it happening. The use of the plates, and clearly visible ones at that, along that stretch is NOT available for private boats just to put their foot down but should be limited as stated.

Talk to Broads Control who will know the precise details and the BA should have access to the logs etc etc.

• Like 2

As Mouldy says, there's a long established history of boats being permitted to speed around that area, subject to strict rules. Broom would test new build boats there, and I believe NYA continue to do speed trials with buyers (after a deposit has been taken, to prevent joyriding). As a general rule, they'll usually traverse a section slowly to check for moored boats before passing at higher speed.

What's more worrying is the reports on social media in the last week or so. One was a rib videoed at high speed going through Norwich around the yacht station - possibly the same one seen a few weeks ago, and well into double figure speeds. The other was someone reporting an "old Sunseeker style" boat at very high speed near Horning. The person concerned suggested 50+ mph, but obviously that's probably an exaggeration.

• Like 1

When we were purchasing Mystic Lady in March 2023 she was taken out from NYA, Brundall, for a trial run as part of the survey. As dom stated above, a section of river downstream from Brundall was slowly traversed before two controlled runs at 22 mph (speed over ground) were carried out, whilst monitoring engine & outdrive temperatures, oil pressures, operation of trim tabs, etc. All very professional and I do not believe anyone else was inconvenienced. 

We keep strictly to the posted speed limits and are constantly watching our wake. We do slow down for moored craft and anyone using kayaks, SPB's, etc., but we're very much novices. We have experienced other boaters speeding, both private & hire craft, I tend to forgive the latter and curse the former...

• Like 1

Just up river of Horning, technically in Hoveton parish, is a measured half mile for the purposes of setting up speedometers / putting the speed marks  on rev counters.. 

I've done this in the past, but not seen anyone else use it.

Have have seen a speed boat come round Dydlers mill corner on the plane, it shut its throttle rapidly when it saw me putting out the sailing cub marks one Sunday morning.

9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Just up river of Horning, technically in Hoveton parish, is a measured half mile for the purposes of setting up speedometers / putting the speed marks  on rev counters.. 

Have have seen a speed boat come round Dydlers mill corner on the plane, it shut its throttle rapidly when it saw me putting out the sailing cub marks one Sunday morning.

I have timed us on a two way run there a few times but at ordinary river speed just to check the NASA log. 

Paddlewheel/Prop type input need pretty constant adjustment over a season at slow speeds.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Although it's worth pointing out that there is a speed limit in force on that stretch for ALL vessels to comply with. The measured half mile is for setting up speedo's within the speed limit.

There are four sections on the Yare, three on the Waveney, three on the Bure and one on the Thurne where boat yard vessels are exempt from the speed limits at certain times. The measured half mile on the Bure is not in one of the designated areas exempt for boatyard vessels.

A boat yard vessel is a motor vessel which is being used by a boatyard for the purpose of trial or demonstration or testing after repair and whose navigator is an employee of the boatyard. 

The one most commonly used on the Yare is from a point 400m downstream of Hobro's Dyke to a point 460m upstream of Rockland Fleet Dyke. This is the one that does pass the RSPB at Strumpshaw.

• Like 2