hire craft fuel

olddock61

I don't agree, we paid to hire the boat, the cost of that is what makes the boat good value or not. If you hire a car do you expect to pay over the odds for the fuel you use (per litre) simply because you travelled a long distance and the car was nice and comfortable?

Thanks, can you clarify what duty I should be paying on the 60% and the 40%.

We used 124 litres so how much tax should there be on the 74.4ltrs (the 60%) and on 49.6ltrs (the 40%)

My receipt clearly shows VAT at 20% on the full amount.

Thats right, I dont disagree you gan get your fuel from wherever you like in the same way you can get your bread from Tesco, milk from Asda and saussages from Morrisons to save a couple of quid,

Quote "you have to look at the overall cost and weigh it up against how far you have been and if the boat is good value etc."

Which is possibly fair comment if you are hiring, although I'm still not convinced. What happened to transparent pricing? By this I mean if you are suggesting that a lower initial boat hire price is being subsidised by a higher fuel charge, it makes it harder for people to compare like for like. As has already been suggested it would make sense in this case to shop around for the cheapest hire, and then shop around for the cheapest fuel and get the best of both worlds. I suspect most won't want the hassle and won't.

What is the price per litre for privateers? If your fuel price subsidises lower hire charges, then what do you charge private boaters who obviousely are not benefitting from your lower hire charges :naughty:

I do know of at least one marina on the South which has different rates for its berth holders and a different one for everyone else, be they hire or private visitors.

Personally I would have thought that fuel prices would be very much driven by volume of sales as it is on the road, and therefore never understand why some of those with the highest turnover of fuel aren't the cheapest around.

I use somewhere in the region of 500 litres per year and given the extremes quoted on here £1.15 vs £1.60 I can save myself £225 per year or an extra 450 miles cruising per year, which is a no brainer :party: When buying fuel I tend to look for somewhere that 1. has a high turnover of fuel, hopefully leading to a better quality of fuel, and 2. As close as possible to the lower end of the pricing. I tend to use 3 or 4 different places depending on when I need to fill up and who is closest, all of which meet both of my criteria, and two of those places also have the shiney new fuel pumps too :naughty: although I would be surprised if they sell more, or much more than the bigger hire yards.

Finally and I am not pointing the finger at anyone here, but The Broads are not immune to the weights and measures act. Anyone selling fuel can be reported to trading standards and they have a responsibility to ensure their equipment, however antiquated is calibrated.

We dont seem to get our Diesel at any better rate wether we buy 1000 litres or 36000 litres, it seems all yards pay basically the same which is about the same as Norfolk Farmers buying group who dont do any better than average jo.

We dont have separate charges for private and hire boats, we chage the same (within about 5p) as all other hire yards (except LeBoat)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve done better than that Clive, i`ve recommended you to a colleague at work. He said he`d often thought about a Broads holiday, especially for the fishing, so i`ve recommended you to him. They`ve never been boating before, so my recommendation was based on the very wide choice of boats in size and style and price, as well as the reviews of several people on this forum.

I know at times, i`ve voiced some sometimes strong and opposite opinions to you on the forum, but i`ve always believed Richardsons have improved their fleet and servisces in recent times, and am more than happy to recommend Richardsons (as well as others) to anybody, as you can offer excellent value for money, or exceptional quality.

cheersbar Thats right Neil, spread the good word, cheersbar I would always prefer new boaters to come with us but we also spend considerable time money promoting the broads network as a destination not just promoting ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post an update to my email to Le Boat.

Today I received a refund of £57.16, they matched Goodchilds price :dance

Hopefully they will review their prices and make them more in line with other hire boat operators.

Thanks to all those who replied.

Just a quick question when filling up ... when filling up a car you can brim the tank does this also work on boats or is there a runoff so you can't brim the tank ??

I guess it depends how the tank breather pipes are run in terms of height above tank in relation to the deck filler hole. On the two Fairlines I had, a Mirage and a 40, if you filled them right up derv peed out of the overflows into the river :norty: .

I guess it depends how the tank breather pipes are run in terms of height above tank in relation to the deck filler hole. On the two Fairlines I had, a Mirage and a 40, if you filled them right up derv peed out of the overflows into the river :norty: .

Quite correct.

Jonny, it's part of the Safety Scheme Check that the overflow has a swan-neck in it (before it does pee into the river).

Just a quick question when filling up ... when filling up a car you can brim the tank does this also work on boats or is there a runoff so you can't brim the tank ??

One thing to be aware of when brimming the tank, is that diesel can expand quite a lot when the weathers hot. Seen a few truck tanks leaking diesel in the summer months due to this.

Also, don't do what I did several times :cry .

Whilst trying to fill derv tanks, I've often tried to peer down the filler hole with the fuel nozzle in there just to get that last litre in. Then you hear a gurgling followed by a whoosh and hey presto, a face full of derv. I'm now always careful as some fillers & tanks can air lock when approcahing the full mark. Best boats I found for filling were Freemans - 2" or 3" fule cap straight into the tanks, soooo easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm new here so be gentle with me please :wave

I guess your Emails to LeBoat must have worked as their price is a much more reasonable £1.49 per ltr now. Also their refueling procedure is the similar as Richardsons, brimming the tank after each hire to calculate the fuel used and they don't mind where you refuel either.

Hi I'm new here so be gentle with me please :wave

I guess your Emails to LeBoat must have worked as their price is a much more reasonable £1.49 per ltr now. Also their refueling procedure is the similar as Richardsons, brimming the tank after each hire to calculate the fuel used and they don't mind where you refuel either.

I still find that high for a 60/40 price, Asda self service were £1.37 this morning for full duty paid road diesel, if they are selling 100% duty paid for that price how can 60/40 be £1.49?

I find fuel prices very confusing :?:?:?

I still find that high for a 60/40 price, Asda self service were £1.37 this morning for full duty paid road diesel, if they are selling 100% duty paid for that price how can 60/40 be £1.49?

I find fuel prices very confusing :?:?:?

I would think some of it is down to the fact Asda buy so many million litres, so get a larger discount, but not totally the answer.

If the bigger yards have a captive audience they can get away with selling it too at the higher price why wouldn't they?

Absolutely, and there is the option of refuelling somewhere cheaper if you so wish.

I've toyed with the idea before but always decided I cant be bothered once I'm actally on holiday! Always an option for the future though, or if the price charged/difference got truly out of hand

Dan

If the bigger yards have a captive audience they can get away with selling it too at the higher price why wouldn't they?

A very good point Keith as they are there to make money after all. If we were filling our tanks with postmix cola from a pub, then we would be crying :naughty: