A Wc And F Holiday Afloat – Sep 2024

No – we’re not having a holiday floating on a toilet :default_biggrin:, it’s that time of the year again! Unfortunately, our friends from Devon cannot accompany us this time so we’re taking brother-in-law and his wife and their adult son with us. Hence the “WC and F” surname initials.

We’re on Platinum Light 2 (HW) for a week beginning 28 Sep 24 and I’ll be interested to see how this hybrid boat performs :default_unsure:. We want to get down south and moor up at Beccles and Oulton Broad again before coming back up north for the last couple of days. Crossing times for Breydon are not ideal for us this time and I’ll be giving GY yacht station a ring next week to see if our intended crossing on the Sunday and back on the Wednesday are feasible (weather permitting). I’m hoping we can cross Breydon Sunday afternoon and have enough light left to moor up either at Berney Arms or Burgh Castle. Wednesday’s return crossing is the iffy one and I think we’ll have to moor up at the yacht station after crossing Breydon before the light fades?! If crossing Breydon is a no-go then we’ll have to make do with poodling around the northern broads although with the recent water levels at Ludham bridge, I doubt if we’ll get under it; and if we do, I don’t want to get stranded the wrong side of it if the levels were to rise again!

Whatever the outcome is, we’ll be sure to enjoy ourselves as always. Brenda and I will keep a lookout for fellow forumites who may be out and about :default_icon_wave: – apologies in advance if we don’t spot you!

Chris and Brenda

• Like 9
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get to Reedham by 1600 hrs and bagged the last free mooring! Huge thanks to the two BA guys that helped us moor up :default_icon_e_biggrin:.  Eating on board tonight. Looks like tomorrow is going to be a tad wet for our poodle to Beccles :default_sad:

• Like 7

Left Reedham at 0915 this morning with it lashing down and very windy. Dave the BA guy at Reedham was brilliant on getting us turned around from our mooring and we started our journey to Beccles. Got here at approximately 1230 with Brenda and myself looking like a pair of drowned rats (we always helm from the upper helm and we wear our waterproofs). Table booked at the Wine Vaults in Beccles for tonight’s feast!

Chris and Brenda

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Not the best cruising weather for sure. Those guys at Reedham are so helpful even when it’s pouring with rain ️ 

Did you need the bridge to swing at Somerleyton or were you ok?

Definitely hats off to the guys at Reedham, I’d have been all over the place this morning had it not been for Dave! Luckily Somerleyton bridge was open as we got to it so we bimbled through at a great rate of knots before they swung it! :default_biggrin:
Chris and Brenda 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Left Beccles at 0900 hrs this morning and managed to cruise to Oulton Broad without getting rained on until we arrived at our stern on mooring at the yacht station :default_biggrin:. Got the train to Lowestoft and the heavens opened!! Now back on board and waiting for the rain to stop. Carvery in the Wherry tonight. 
Chris and Brenda 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Left Beccles at 0900 hrs this morning and managed to cruise to Oulton Broad without getting rained on until we arrived at our stern on mooring at the yacht station :default_biggrin:. Got the train to Lowestoft and the heavens opened!! Now back on board and waiting for the rain to stop. Carvery in the Wherry tonight. 
Chris and Brenda 

I hope you don't snore unlike certain other forum members :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

Excellent carvery in the Wherry last night. Rained on and off through the night, currently rain free as I type! Phoned GY Yacht station yesterday afternoon for best time to pass under Vauxhall Bridge, they advised to get to Berney Arms for about 1.30 and ring them again. They will then let us know what time to transit Breydon. Tonight we will hopefully moor up at Stokesby.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Left Berney at 1300 along with another three dual helm boats. Transited a bit of a lumpy Breydon and passed under Vauxhall Bridge at 1400 hrs with a foot to spare. Pushed the tide and now moored outside the Ferry Inn for the night. Currently sipping a much needed pint of Adnams dry hopped lager :default_beerchug:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Left Stokesby at 0830 and arrived at Bridgecraft approximately 0905. Pumped out and made our way at a leisurely cruise to Ranworth, arriving at approximately 1040. Quite a few spaces at the staithe and moored up now until tomorrow morning. Staithe now filling up so we timed it just right! :default_biggrin: Brother in law, his wife and son have gone up to the church while Brenda and me have a bit of a relaxation! Excellent weather so far!

Chris and Brenda

Afternote: staithe is now full apart from the taxi rank!!

Edited by CeePee1952
Added afternote
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

What a cracking afternoon it’s been here at Ranworth! Had a surprise “visit” from Malcolm (Mouldy) earlier today and had a great time chatting 😀 and no - before anyone asks, I didn’t ask Malcolm about what his next boat is out of respect to him letting us all know in due course :default_eusa_naughty: 

Chris and Brenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

What a cracking afternoon it’s been here at Ranworth! Had a surprise “visit” from Malcolm (Mouldy) earlier today and had a great time chatting 😀 and no - before anyone asks, I didn’t ask Malcolm about what his next boat is out of respect to him letting us all know in due course :default_eusa_naughty: 

Chris and Brenda

It’s no use asking him. Warren (Tempest) and I tried to get him to give us a few clues the other evening when we had a Moonlight Shadow Management Team meeting, but Malcolm is remaining resolutely tight lipped. LOL.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

It’s no use asking him. Warren (Tempest) and I tried to get him to give us a few clues the other evening when we had a Moonlight Shadow Management Team meeting, but Malcolm is remaining resolutely tight lipped. LOL.

Helen, you asked me what we were buying and I told you in no uncertain terms exactly what it is . . . . . . . . . . A boat. :10_wink:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Helen, you asked me what we were buying and I told you in no uncertain terms exactly what it is . . . . . . . . . . A boat. :10_wink:

Except we all now know that you actually bought a new motorbike ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

Except we all now know that you actually bought a new motorbike ...

And having seen it in the flesh (so to speak), strap a couple of floats onto it and it will definitely get under Potter Heigham bridge 😂

Chris

• Haha 1

Left Ranworth at 0925 hrs. Had a nice gentle cruise up to and into south walsham Broad and now moored up at Thurne Dyke until tomorrow morning. Evening meal will be had in the Lion as per usual and then depart tomorrow morning about 8 ish back to HW to hand the boat back. I’ll do more comprehensive reports on our week afloat next week (including a review of Platinum Light 2!).

Chris and Brenda

• Like 7

Well, that’s a first! Just been up top ( 0740) to use our Karcher on the helm seat and the moisture is all frozen!!! We’ll be leaving Thurne Dyke in about 20 mins heading for HW and a hearty breakfast in the Flour and Bean when it opens at 9. Next post will be next week when I’ll be giving a bit more detail of the week afloat and a review of this boat (it won’t be favourable!!!). Stay safe everyone and enjoy the day wherever you may be :default_biggrin:

Chris and Brenda

• Like 3
  • Love 1