Marinade Recommendation

Hylander

Me too. I will be marinading pork in Worcester sauce and soy sauce in equal measure and Chinese 5 spice. If you like it spicy then a dose of chilli sauce too, sweeter then a glug of sweet chilli sauce or mango chutney.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I tend to look on the BBC Food website nowadays if I want to use a recipe. I used to have a bookcase full of cookery books, most of which never got used or which I kept just for one or two recipes. I got rid of all of them apart from a few trusted go-to ones, first copying out the recipes that I wanted from my discarded books.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I tend to look on the BBC Food website nowadays if I want to use a recipe. I used to have a bookcase full of cookery books, most of which never got used or which I kept just for one or two recipes. I got rid of all of them apart from a few trusted go-to ones, first copying out the recipes that I wanted from my discarded books.

Ditto! :default_biggrin:
Chris

• Like 3

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I threw out a lot of my old cookery books and now I wish I hadn't as some were Mums and were kind of part of history in so much as the ovens and cookers were a different world away from ours today , along with the availability of ingredients.  I dont think we appreciate what we have today.

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

I threw out a lot of my old cookery books and now I wish I hadn't as some were Mums and were kind of part of history in so much as the ovens and cookers were a different world away from ours today , along with the availability of ingredients.  I dont think we appreciate what we have today.

I’m the same. One of the recipe books I have kept belonged to my grandmother. It’s a 1930s vintage, from the days when working class people first bought gas cookers. I didn’t hang on to my mother’s Marguerite Pattern cook book as I don’t think she used it much. What I do have are a couple of small recipe books that she compiled to raise money for a church restoration. They included recipes from other parishioners, but also most of her own frequently baked cakes etc. The second one was an ‘international’ recipe book that included recipes from friends and family who had moved abroad (for a start, Mam had cousins in New Zealand, Canada and the Netherlands). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’m the same. One of the recipe books I have kept belonged to my grandmother. It’s a 1930s vintage, from the days when working class people first bought gas cookers. I didn’t hang on to my mother’s Marguerite Pattern cook book as I don’t think she used it much. What I do have are a couple of small recipe books that she compiled to raise money for a church restoration. They included recipes from other parishioners, but also most of her own frequently baked cakes etc. The second one was an ‘international’ recipe book that included recipes from friends and family who had moved abroad (for a start, Mam had cousins in New Zealand, Canada and the Netherlands). 

How interesting.     Anything about cooking I am there.       In the 1960s my sister bought me a Cordon Bleu cookery book, when I look at those recipes they are beyond me.     Things cooked in aspic.      I have still got that book.    Mums book that came with her cooker I threw out it was a ring bound book, spoke of powdered egg etc.    That was 1949.

When I started my allotments, I had so much veg that I was at a loss to do creative things with it. I didn’t want to buy any recipe books as there would be so many recipes I’d never use. So I started collecting from online and magazines etc. Some were so badly written that I now type them out into my own format and file in my computer recipe book under the name of the main veg or if there’s two main veg, I file under both. It’s really, really handy. And easy to send a recipe to someone who asks. 

One of my only recipe books I  have kept is British Cooking. That gets used a lot. Also some small narrow ones that Sainsurys published many decades ago, good for baking and stuff using eggs. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, LizG said:

Some of the 1980s M&S recipe books are still good especially a home baking one, also the Stork cookery book has good basic recipes except I use butter! 

I still use the Stork all in one recipe to make my Victoria Sponges.

• Like 1

Just done Pimm's and nibbles at the sailing club (Horning that is) as it's the White Boat Open. 90% home made except veggie stuff! All went! Except the sausage rolls still in my Hertfordshire freezer!! Oops they'll last to that word starting with C!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LizG said:

Just done Pimm's and nibbles at the sailing club (Horning that is) as it's the White Boat Open. 90% home made except veggie stuff! All went! Except the sausage rolls still in my Hertfordshire freezer!! Oops they'll last to that word starting with C!

Well done.     

Anyone remember trading stamps? When I was first married I saved up my pink stamps and redeemed them at the pink stamps showroom in East Finchley for a Mrs. Beatons Cook book. I've acquired  umpteen cook books since but that first book is still my first go to.

Carole

• Like 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, addicted said:

Anyone remember trading stamps? When I was first married I saved up my pink stamps and redeemed them at the pink stamps showroom in East Finchley for a Mrs. Beatons Cook book. I've acquired  umpteen cook books since but that first book is still my first go to.

Carole

With me it was Green Shield Stamps 

• Like 2