can we talk about the ole days ......................

650xs

not me too much but the others on here and from near and farr to reminise about the ole days her eon the broads as it is about the broads ............................

like the boat sales at herbert wood ......................noooooooooooo nooooooooooooooo the old one 

stuart wood little ships ....................................

neswsons boat s .......good ole finbar ...............................

hearts cruisers ..................the cockerill ........................

the good ole boys at yarmouth yacht station

queen orf the broads ...................................trip boot 

the golden gallion .........trip boot .........................

the donkeys at .....................stracey mill..........................

squessed a boot at potter 

or sum numpitie towing a boot at midnite ....................did i wake yer up ....??????

mr cressey orf ole maffet and me at diving  for fouled props ....................

and loads more ..........................come one i,m sure yer all can tell 

some orf yer poor buggers might met me too .........................breakdowns ...............hire boots 

if this has been dun befor than i say soory naw ...............................

or that numptie jumping upo and dun the river bank ...........................

yuor got a tory tell it its all for a chuckle or an arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i remember ................

I am sure I am too young for old stories but I hired from Hearts cruisers near to their demise. It was a disaster from day one. -Leave yard get to Brundall, go to use the toilet but no water to flush. Call yard. Same Man that did the handover comes turns on the valve situated under one of the beds. -Tea time day one-open cutlery drawer, it's empty. Eat out. Ring yard-same man appears the next morning (day 2) with cutlery tray. We joke "see you tomorrow" -Day 3-heading past Reedham towards Breydon. We have the tides spot on. Temp gauge is rising. Cover off of engine endless amounts of water is going into the top and obviously coming out somewhere else. Mudweight over the side. One of us has a mobile (early mobile days-it was like a brick). We make contact. Their towboat is already at Reedham rescuing somebody else-result! Towed back to Reedham for pipe on the coolant system to be repaired by the "normal man". -Day 4-no incident -Day 5-won't start. Normal man appears and fixes. -Day 6-no incident -Day 7-onboard hairdryer gives up in a puff of smoke.

• Like 5

For years we hired from Dick Sabberton at Summercraft, one Easter Mrs Sabberton (Gwen) phoned me to say if we could drive down a day earlier we could take the boat over on Good Friday. A no brainer that offer! Arrived friday morning, and as usual did shopping in Roys etc, (Had driven down overnight) However, I would normally at 10.30am go for a pint in the Kings Head, but not this day. Why? Simples, I did not realise English drinking laws forbid bar open till mid day!!!! Good Friday. 

My father in law dually opened the boot, and burst open two cans of lager in Roys car park.

Never made that mistake again I can tell you all lol  :grin:

• Like 2

Boat sales on the corner of Ferry road.

Faceys garage in Horning selling Skodas.

Mixers yard at Stalham being full of houseboats

Morning flight on Thorpe Green.

the 'beach' at Salhouse (not that long ago)

Barton Angler.

• Like 4

Barton Angler.

Barton Angler!

There was also the Eagle at Neatishead

Bridge Hotel at Potter Heigham

Ranworth Hall

Stracey Arms (when it was a pub)

Railway Tavern at Reedham

Wood Farm at Wayford Bridge

Petersfield Hotel at Horning

Ribas Riverside Inn (now the Hermitage)

Loaves and Fishes at Beccles

Bure Court Hotel (sadly never got in before it burnt down)

Black Horse just outside Horning

And probably my favourite – the Castle at Wroxham

Happy days!

Pic of yours truly outside the Eagle

post-38-0-30581800-1390508263_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

uncle dave and jacks running up and dun the rudd at wroxham with his big ole red tractor from wroxham boat storage days ..................

a mix orf boot hire boot at wayford couple orf sallies and some big ole afrt cockpit cruiser too

rolls garage at luudham bl dealers too .........................maxi anyone ....

facey s at catfield selling plastic pigs ........................

the ole mobile shop boat which was an richo cruiser yer kaw.......

ols charles in the mill at horning bend ....................

i use to launch are canoe as kids from beach at salhouse from our bikes ......

broads tours wet shed with the wooden trip boots in ...........

the best boat auction at same place .......................

the shop at the bottom orf the water  tower at herbertwoods.....................

the fake minatuer misaippi steam boot at martham..................

slip way at ranworth public staithe ........................nice for launching cars...............

cockshoot broads full orf mud .........................

the wheery yacht half up the bank in brundall...........................

One for Jon! "Pongo" the mobile pump out boat at Wayford, he was as mad a bag of Frogs but a real nice guy, I think we used to pay £5/6 back in 85 for a pump out and he always did a good job, when Pongo gave up my niece was going to buy it from him but all the new regs coming in put her off the idea, that was back when it was OK to pump your loos directly into the Broads, gave a new meaning to Poo sticks,,,

Frank,,, 

without naming all the pubs and boatyards no longer here....

'One eye' from Breydon Marine..

How hill when the river was wide (not now they Quay headed into the river :roll:)

the woman at the Ice House with the speed gun :smile:

Hunsett mill (or the house) when it looked nice

the Blue lightship the Sea Scouts used in Norwich (Lord Nelson)

the first time I went under Postwick Viaduct thinking 'Where did that come from?'

the nice bit opposite the Kings head Wroxham before the houses got built.

the shed on stilts that sold tat and ice cream on the Hoveton end of wroxham bridge..

• Like 2

After our first three boats from Richardsons, Then we hired from Mr Brinkhoff. That would have been 1968, then from Ernest Collins (for many years). My early memories of things now unavailable, include, Beaching boats on Salhouse, with the old boy in his green skiff collecting mooring fees, Collecting Ice blocks for the cooler,  Mooring at the Anchor Pub in Coltishall, sometimes walking to the London Inn or the Railway inn (both Coltishall)

The Sutton Staith Hotel used to be a club not a pub, To be eligible to join you had to be a member of any other club, so yeah, really exclusive!!!

Pubs aside, there were little shops scattered about too. One at Dilham and one towards the end of Thurne Dyke, that I remember.

Still, the bottom line is that from 1965 when we first came to the broads, we only missed a couple of years in the mid 70s. then I bought my first boat (well my third actually but my first worth taking to the Broads) and spent quite a few happy years moored up at Peter and Thelma's yard at Wayford Bridge.

• Like 1

Slightly away from the water, but Stalham market on Tuesdays, Acle on Thursdays. So different from anything we saw at home. My sons once bought a rabbit at Acle,  we explained to them we couldn't keep a rabbit on a boat for three weeks, the seller kindly took it back. I know both markets are still there, but Stalham barely so, and Acle not half of what it used to be.

• Like 1

mr dear one eye ...whata star many trip and ride with him too..

thanks clive ........

and yes I do remember ole pongo what a great use or a concrete hull .........nice one .......

I like this thread ..............

like like ............

• Like 3

old man abbey coming to yards to lift boots great ole guy he was ...................

dunt he river with young mr bedwell on midnite runs to rescue boot from tidal bit s towards Yarmouth........

the ole girl at the bridge stores at st olives ....ummmm....

do yer want a bag with that luv..............

watchin the ole boys skull double quick at hearts for a quick can oprf the ole lager from shop oppositt......

while the mice were away .......!!!!!!

cleaning hulls at langfords with me and mr preachment

oh those were the days ............

orf me land ...........!!!!!!

goood ole hearts loved me time there .............................

i,ll tell yer story or two .......................

I am sure I am too young for old stories but I hired from Hearts cruisers near to their demise. It was a disaster from day one. -Leave yard get to Brundall, go to use the toilet but no water to flush. Call yard. Same Man that did the handover comes turns on the valve situated under one of the beds. -Tea time day one-open cutlery drawer, it's empty. Eat out. Ring yard-same man appears the next morning (day 2) with cutlery tray. We joke "see you tomorrow" -Day 3-heading past Reedham towards Breydon. We have the tides spot on. Temp gauge is rising. Cover off of engine endless amounts of water is going into the top and obviously coming out somewhere else. Mudweight over the side. One of us has a mobile (early mobile days-it was like a brick). We make contact. Their towboat is already at Reedham rescuing somebody else-result! Towed back to Reedham for pipe on the coolant system to be repaired by the "normal man". -Day 4-no incident -Day 5-won't start. Normal man appears and fixes. -Day 6-no incident -Day 7-onboard hairdryer gives up in a puff of smoke.