Jump to content

Song of Freedom - Easter Break


Recommended Posts

Day One:



Day One Captain's Blog



It felt rather odd boarding the train at Liverpool Street with my Dad for usually whenever we come to Norfolk it is in the car, but alas that was being worked on and so the train would need to take the strain.


It was not long before we were in sunny Norwich, and walked from the station to the large Morrison's stock up for the 4 night break ahead - and as ever you always seem to go a bit mad on things especially considering we were going to be eating out on 3 of the 4 nights.  Once out of the store it was a called to ABC Taxi's to collect us and take us to Freedom's boatyard, just off Bungalow Lane in Thorpe. 


We set off and our driver turned out to have grown up not far from where we live in London - funny old world - and soon it was time to turn into the unmade lane that leads to the boatyard. 


Rather interesting affair, under a rail line at a bridge then further down a manual level crossing - open the gates yourself, drive over the lines, then close behind you - ever watchful of the green and red signal on the gates which tell you if a train is approaching.  Fortunately this is the local line from Norwich to the likes of Sheringham so not a busy line as the mainline which is taken over the bridge at the startt of the journey.


We unloaded our bags and shopping and found £6.50 a very reasonable charge for the taxi.  A warm welcome awaited us at Freedom - we were a little earlier than anticipated because we had both booked the train from London thinking we would need to change trains at Norwich - old habits die hard.  Freedom have really done well since taking over this old yard (Kingfisher Cruisers) to turn it from pretty much derelict to a fully functioning boatyard once more.  All their fleet were out apart from two boats one of which - Rambling Freedom - is having pretty extensive refitting work done in their shed and once finished will look the bees knees! 


Andy arrived and talked us through the boat - Song of Freedom, an ex Aston centre cockpit boat and whilst  by today's modern standards she may not be up there with some boats, the warm wooden interior and charm really grew on me and my dad.  She felt like a proper boat complete with a good wooden ships wheel and many original features - however as you will see later in the tale, the interior especially the salon had been refitted thoughtfully to bring her up to date but without going over the top.


No need for a trial run, but I'll say this - many a yard out there could do with taking on the 'multi check' pre- handover sheet that Freedom use - I can well imagine a novice finding comfort in their willingness for any question to be answered and their comprehensive handover.


Time to leave and with the old BMC chugging away under our feet down the mighty Yare we went - our destination Rockland Staithe just off of Rockland Broad.  I knew this may be busy for the fact it is so close to the New Inn pub, which later as we unpacked proved to important as we had forgotten some things after all and needed to eat out now - Easter weekend late in the day I was a tad worried and planned a backup of the Beauchamp Arms  which has extensive moorings (and I believe now under new management).


Well as we passed Bramerton Common it was busy but it was not silly busy, indeed the only real boating activity was privateers out enjoying the break and sunshine and their very powerful large sports cruisers.   I have to say I found the majority very friendly and waves exchanged, but alas the few who saw the 5 or 6 MPH speed limit as more advisory and would come up out of nowhere behind and then speed past causing a trough we would then roll into.  The Seamaster hull however was very much up to the job and Song of Freedom really is a dream boat to manoeuvre - my dad down below trying to pack the fridge did not always appreciate the sudden  movement that passing craft caused.


My dad and I are not always the closest of people and many a time we will differ in our views, but that said we do get along and his quick wit and ability to tell a story can have you in stitches - he was the one who introduced me to boating holidays when I was 8 so has a lot to be thanked for and while not in the best of health now it was good to see him back on the water.

We took turns at the helm and when we reached Rockland Broad it was high water - the last time I was here in October 2013 it was low water with much of the reeds and other underwater plants showing this time however all was covered and we slowly followed the channel markers and took a right to the dyke that leads to the Staithe - somewhere previously I had not visited.  Well, we arrived to find just 3 boats there.  We moored up and all was quite - until another boat Concerto from Barnes Brinkcraft arrived bow thrusters going, engine revving.  It's funny how upon hearing this everyone will be like Meerkat's and pop up through a hatch, doorway or cockpit to see what is going on.


Well that was the only other boat to arrive and the road was very quiet and the Staithe a lovely place - there is a large green where children could play or dogs be worn out, benches and not to forget literally over the road the pub. 


We went in and were seated in the large barn like restaurant heated by a very efficient wood burning stove, the menu was not the longest but had all the classics - I opted as I like to for the Burger to see what this pub could come up with and they came up trumps!  I would not say it was too 'posh' but it was certainly lovely - a tad on  the pricey side for some perhaps, but  my dad also commented how lovely his sausages with bubble and squeak and rich onion gravy were.  The only thing that let it down was the Aspalls Cider - it was very 'watery' and lacked the crisp apple punch that one would expect.  Overall though it was a lovely meal and good night.


Back on the boat and the tide had gone out - I have to say this is the one thing that began over the holiday to become an almost ritual check the lines, check the fenders and then look at tide tables and should low tide be coming in t e evening double check before bed so there would be no nasty surprise in the morning.


I was already surprised at the general quietness for this time of year on the southern rivers and it was a new experience to have hired from a southern base and not have to worry about tides for Breydon Water - and as first days went, today was certainly a good one and I was happy to be on  the water once again.


  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day Two:


Day Two Captain's Blog




I had planned to leave Rockland Staithe early before the tide turned, this would mean we would be heading down the Yare at slack water and by the time we reached the Reedham the tide would be coming in - but we would not have much time going against it as we would be taking the Haddiscoe New Cut and upon reaching the end turning right and going with the incoming tide.  Well, that was the plan anyway...

However we had found it most strange that despite spending much of the evening in the New Inn upon return to the boat the lights seemed dim, and the heating would literally only kick in for a few moments before switching off.  Something was not happy electrically somewhere, only there was a rather odd anomaly going on that the 240v side of things was working just fine so we had television and I could use my laptop but the 12v side was decidedly flat.


This morning a call was made to Freedom and Andy was as puzzled as I (batteries had been checked prior to departure) and why was the engine and 240v side batteries all charged but the 12v domestic side not - well with Andy on the phone and me looking to see if anything silly had happened like a battery isolator being urm isolated the problem soon was apparent, the negative wire was not on one of the batteries - a simply error to have made when testing the batteries at the yard before we took over the boat.  Andy was most apologetic but it was all fine I just wished I had brought my tools I usually do for I could have connected it and tightened up the terminal clamp without bother.


Well true to his word, Andy was there within an hour with new batteries just in case, and once all the wires were put in place and double checked we had power and could be off on our way. The only downside to our later departure was the fact that we would not have as long cruising before the incoming tide began to slow us down before we reached Reedham.  Our destination today was Oulton Broad Yacht Station where we had previously called and booked a berth thinking over Easter things may be a bit busy down there.


Once we were on the Yare you really felt like you were getting along and this is where southern river travel is so much different to the northern rivers - you do go on and on for hours but at the same time I enjoy the fact you can settle in to a sort of rhythm and mark off the places you pass on the map and in a very rough fashion feel as if you are navigating - seeing how far you have to go, what the time is - is the tide turning, checking to see how strong the tide is and what effect it is having on your speed and thus your time of arrival etc.  You can therefore if you want,  pass the time doing such calculations.  If you're not a nerd just enjoy the view lol.


The tide did indeed begin to turn and things began to slow down, but worse was to come for the rain - which had been forecast finally began to fall.  This meant having the canopy up the first time we had needed this to be raised whilst underway and it soon became apparent that a BMC engine's sound can be rather tiring on the nerves - the sound bouncing off all the hard surfaces in the cockpit with no escape.  The engine however never missed a beat, started first time every time be it cold or warm and had a silky smooth gearbox paired to it. 


The rain soon stopped and by the time we reached the New Cut we could lower the canopy once again - there was a stiff side wind coming from the direction of Breydon but it meant that when we reached the St. Olaves end and headed up the Waveney we were now going with the tide and what a difference this made - but the wind changed direction and was on our bow and before long a good few waves had got going and we were rolling up and down through them.  It really felt you were boating and Song of Freedom did not put a foot wrong.


It must have taken some time, but it did not feel it before we were heading along Oulton Dyke and soon turning a sharp left and entering Oulton Broad.  We were a little later than we had planned but none the less still had a lot of time to spend ashore once we reached the Yacht Station - we were asked if we wanted a Pontoon berth of side on - we opted for side on, something later I wished I had not because I was forever adjusting fenders and ropes and the tide went out - and seemed to carry on going out we dropped certainly over a metre and then I was worried the concrete quay would 'hold up' the rubbing strake on the side of the boat - more adjusting ropes and fenders around 9:30 in the evening to ensure we would have a good night sleep and stay horizontal in our berths.


I can recommend the Spar down the road from the Yacht Station, we did not venture into the local pubs however and I cooked onboard instead, it was not that noisy but of course this was not a Friday or Saturday night so things may be different then but a good place to moor overall.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day Three:


Day Three Captain's Blog




An early start today - I was up around 6:15am doing the usual engine checks, making sure there was water in the header tank and how was the oil doing etc - these being all the more important on these old BMC's who always like to drink a little water and burn a little oil.  By about 6:50am I was casting off from the quay and heading off over a still Oulton Broad who was just beginning to wake up - and finally, there was calmness and no wind so with canopy lowered it was destination Beccles.  I should note that last night at Oulton Broad we had a very peculiar fault - start the engine, turn on heater - heater starts turn off engine once was running and within 5 minutes the heater would be off and the LED blinking.  Try as we might the heater would simply not stay on longer than a few minutes - yet we had ample power.  Another job for Andy, so I called him later an arranged to meet later that evening at our final destination - Loddon.  I am sure his eyes rolled, his head was scratched thinking what on earth was wrong - fear not, it was just the Rascal's luck had turned once again...


All the way along Oulton Dyke and then to the sharp left hand turn onto the Waveney, not a single boat was seen - but what was a little unnerving to begin was the shotgun being fired off our port side a little way down the Waveney  - where I wondered were our cannons and balls to fire back with haha.   It was the most delightful morning and one of the few times in our journey where we were neither going with or against the tide - the river was calm and we were making good progress.

It was not too long into the journey I passed a trio of fine craft, Job Done, Secret Lady and Happy Jax III but their crews seemingly all below decks.  Carrying on the first of several hire craft coming towards us all from the northern rivers - clearly having had an early start and making their way to Breydon to get back to the northern rivers - and then it was still once more and the landscape really begins to change.

It was along this stretch that the BMC rolled over 15,000 hours of use - say what you like about them, but with care and a few new bits here and there these classic engines go on and on!

Reeds begin to give way to a mixture of trees and beyond you see marshes and cattle - the bird song began and the further towards Beccles we got the changes continued - less and less reed fringed banks, more and more tree lined, then the countryside seemed to change too - the flat ground giving way to small hills reminiscent of that you find at Salhouse, this was beautiful cruising country.  It took us about 2 1/2 hours to reach the outskirts of Beccles and we had booked a mooring at the yacht station just in case - previously saying we would be there around lunchtime (this having changed since we now wanted to overnight in Loddon) so arrived earlier around 9:45am.


On behalf of all sons out there, can fathers please take note.  If your son is at the helm let him decide where to moor and don't become a 'stern end driver' as my dad did.  I filled up with water over night at Oulton Broad, but my dad was insisting we needed water - furthermore where he was instructing me to moor I could not because of the lines of the boat already there strung over from their midship cleat to the shore as well as their stern cleats.  Try number two - this time one mooring down we again faced a problem with getting in the spot where my dad thought we could fit.  I was now getting a frustrated, and having made two attempts, our engine being revved began to create quite a scene - the chap from the Yacht Station had now come along, owners of boats popped up ready to issue guidance and protect their pride and joys from what appeared to be a pair of confused men bickering at each other and incapable of deciding what mooring they should opt for.


Finally, third time around - we got in to a space I felt was adequate - and would mean we still could get water the hose simply having to be unravelled a little more.  Later, the reason for the need of water become clear - if you pay to moor and its included my dad said, then we shall use it - and so we did taking all over 5 minutes to top up the tank. 

I then prepared breakfast, washed up and we went into town - by now the sun was really making its presence felt and things were warming up nicely - so much so just a t-shirt was needed.  Beccles is a lovely place, and I am sure has many delightful nooks and crannies I have missed, but for us it was the basics - cash point, QD stores, Boots for more paracetamol  and throat 'sweets' - a cheeky nip into the new Wetherspoons for a quick half and use their loos and before we knew it was time to head back to the boat - I wanted to depart around 12:30pm, in the end we left about 15 minutes later than planned.


Beccles needs more time spent on it in future I thought, as too a trip down to Geldeston Locks and the Inn - later in the year no doubt that will be done.  For now it was back the way we came, and I found this stretch of river to be very pretty - a little more busy now but none the less a great deal less busy than the northern rivers would be over the Easter weekend I am sure.

Now at this stage I think I 'lost the plot' because when we reached the Waveney River Centre I turned to my tide tables and river distance guides and figured from this location we would have more than 4 hours still to cruise.  It was obvious, but I had seemingly forgotten this and perhaps it was the fact I had already done over 4 hours at the helm going to and from Beccles from Oulton Broad the prospect of another 4 or more hours - some against the tide - did not fill me with joy.  It soon passed but so too did the sunshine, the sky began to turn ever more grey and the temperature dropped - first a long sleeved top then a coat needed to be donned and then on the approach to St, Olaves the canopy needing to be raised as the heavens opened. 

Going against the tide, in the rain, feeling a bit chilly and having the noise of the BMC under my feet all conspired to make the going - shall we say, fraught.  I was checking our speed over ground with the time and our ETA at Loddon far from being between 5:00pm to 5:30pm seemed more likely to be after 6:00pm - maybe closer to 6:30pm - I had told Andy I would be at Loddon around five, and we had booked the table at the Swan in Loddon for 7:00pm so there would not be much time for fault finding/fixing out heater issue and getting to the Pub for dinner at this rate.  We were doing just about 4 MPH and I could not do much more about that, at 2,100 RPM the engine was certainly not flat out but was now pushing past 90 degrees Celsius - she would run hot as it was, but I was not going to push things past 95 degrees and so this became our top speed like it or not.  Well slowly but surely the entrance to the New Cut arrived, and so the rain stopped for a bit, canopy down head out - rain back - canopy up then the rain did ease but was spitting.  The dead straight length of water that makes up the Haddiscoe New Cut is not the most interesting places and the grey sky, rain drops on the screen and canopy up meaning the engine noise was kept in all the more added to the bleak feeling of just wanting to get to Reedham end.


As we reached the Reedham end of the New Cut, something seemed to have changed - firstly our speed over ground began to increase and this very much changed as we turned left and headed towards Reedham swing bridge - the tide was helping us, I eased back on the revs to around 1,700 RPM and we settled down nicely - by the time the Reedham Ferry was in view things were very much looking good, we could well be at Loddon just after 5:00pm after all.  As we turned on to the Chet I was expecting the daunting jounry of this very narrow twisting river hoping not to meet another boat at a tricky corner - but far from daunting since my last visit in October 2013, the river had been 'Environment Agencied' - the banks on the port side devoid of greenery or reed, the 45 degree perfect angle to waterline the classic 'square top' yep, them diggers had been about and while it will grow back, the river will not have some of the charm and character it used to prior to the works, it is much more now akin to the Ant narrow yes, but not as twisty or narrow as once was.


We did not pass another boat, just a couple of chaps in canoes - and by 5:00pm we were passing Maffet Cruisers and I knew the Staithe at Loddon was just a few minutes away - and as it came into sight, there was plenty of space to choose from.  Once we were tied up, I called Andy and he was on his way - I then got talking to a couple of first time hirers on a boat from Alpha Craft - they loved the Broads but found the boat a little too big for a first timer.  They plan to return on something smaller and perhaps on the northern rivers next time but it is always good to meet fellow boaters and have a chat.


Before long Andy was at the boat and so we fired up the heater.  Minutes passed.  It was working - but he had not done anything, maybe I said it was the much longer run we had today - no as he unplugged a battery, ran it off just one and noted that it was not drawing excessively any amps - so why was it working fine now but had not last night?  Suddenly it stopped - the LED blinked ah ha! But the battery was fine so it was not power related - but the heater had just been working perfectly fine, hot air, no smoking...


There is me on the web getting fault codes for the heater, Andy taking more of the boat internal panels up and trying to figure out what was going on.  Ah, 10 flashes its overheating and cutting out. Now all the pipe work is being taken of the air inlet side of the heater which required ever more contortionist work to get at, but there was the problem - an inline filter had a lot of friendly four legged hairs caught in it - at sometime someone's best friend laid down on the cockpit floor under the helm, right by the intake pipe had sucked in some of its fur and chosen now to restrict the air floor just enough to stop the heater.  Within minutes it was all cleaned, put back together and what seemed like a job without end or a fault without clear reason was sorted. 


Those of you who read and watch my Blogs know over the years I have got to know engineers rather well on boats, things go wrong no matter the boat or boatyard but figuring it out, putting it right and being friendly and having a laugh along the way can make these issues non-issues as this was, and so it was time to pack up, lock up and head off to the Swan in Loddon for our evening meal and drinks.


It had been a long old day one way and the other, from just after 7:00am I had been at the helm with a break in Beccles - then another 6 or so hours to Loddon I was looking forward to a refreshing pint and some good food.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well looking at its old J reg that was about 1975 so the old girl will have covererd the Broads a fair number of hours cruising. The Astons yard lads always checked that clock when we came back on any Aston Concorde Class at Loddon.


cheers Iain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day Four:


Day Four Captain's Blog



We had spent the past days cruising for many hours and often getting up early - today therefore was going to be slightly less hectic so it was a later start and not before 9:30am that we departed Loddon Staithe. 


It was low water and I was anxious as it did feel like we were cruising in a paddling pool leaving the Staithe and me worrying how much water was under us - our all but one of our neighbours having departed earlier when perhaps there was more water to be had.  However my worries became true when having passed the last set of moorings (just before the Staithe on the left hand side as you approach Loddon) there was a large floating mound of Reeds.  I moved to the centre of the river to avoid them and just as we came past what now appears to be a type of basin (the bank works scooping out a very large area oblong in shape) I felt the boat touch bottom and slow momentarily as if just struggling to keep going through the water and then no sooner as had sped up and was going along as usual.


I made very sure to not cut any corners but the rest of the journey I was worried we may end up not going anywhere - an judging by the amount of silt we were (and a passing boat) was stirring up this river at low water is still a very shallow one and certainly not for boats which require too much draft.


Back to the Yare and what a change that made as we turned left on to it, the day was grey and a bit chilly - but dry so the canopy was down.  Our destination was Norwich - to go into the centre via Thorpe (under the low railway bridges) if the tide was still low by the time we got there and once in Norwich, turn around and come back to Surlingham to the Ferry House for our overnight mooring and evening meal.


It was much quieter today - being Tuesday many of the Easter visitors clearly had departed to return to work and it was nice to be able to take our time and enjoy the landscape than having eyes in the back of your head waiting to the next boat to appear, catch up and over take.  Everything seems to blue into one and by the time we reached Surlingham the sun was shining and it really was a lovely day to be cruising - really relaxing and my throat and myself was finally beginning to feel a bit better.


Passing Bramerton (still a few boats moored) you could hear the bird song, and the warmth increased - by the time we came to the low railway bridge at Thorpe there was 7' 6" showing  - our boat showing on the helm that she needed 7' 3" - well let's just say I think that plaque is bang on because there really was only a few inches to spare between the canopy roof and rivets of the metal structure as she cruised slowly under.  Not my first time here, I stayed long ago in a hotel - the Oaklands - but was not of course on a boat, and what a nice tucked away gem this area is - even if you got 'trapped by the tide' it would not matter for the lovely pub and quiet feel to things would mean there are worse places to be stranded - if your boat can get there well worth a visit, if it cannot get a dinghy and row along here because it is idyllic and the live aboard boats lining the port bank add charm and a sense of comfort I feel rather than clutter the area.


Just before we got to the second bridge the heavens began to open - but no time to stop and close the canopy so put away all items down below and don the coat - it was a passing shower fortunately, but coming under the second bridge proved even tighter - back on the main river it was but a short distance to 'Norwich proper' whre I noticed the live aboard on the port back just before Trowse bridge had gone - the bank however strewn with rubbish, old chairs etc - he was moored further along approaching the likes of TGI Friday with another boat - I doubt they will stay here for too long too close I suspect to the entertainment area and risk of passers by being able to cause issue -  preferring I am sure a more out of the way place one can tie up and not be bothered other than by the Broads Authority.


As we came past the Yacht Station the Ranger (same chap as I have ever seen) shouted over and began giving instructions.  I have to say, while the chap is decent he has two annoying traits.  One he will not deviate from the script he must repeat every day countless times, and secondly his rope knots are a pain because they get tighter and tighter as more strain is put on them - that aside I was telling him we were not staying but would turn and go back - the look given as if 'you've come all this way only to turn and leave' was classic and wish I had captured it on camera.


We did turn, and then Carousel coming towards us sort of just froze - so we had to stop too I can only presume they were taking in the instructions being shouted over to them and it was not before long they were underway and moving over to 'their side' of the river and the Ranger was off on his bike to assist their ropes and show his rope tricks.   For us it was back through the city, the rain having stayed off and our final destination a couple of hours away.


We had called and booked our mooring and table at the Ferry House and was good to know you could do both, but also choose side on or stern on.   We arrived and I turned to come in so the large Princess, or was it a Fairline fly bridge in front of us worried and looked on as a hire boat came in to moor.  They need not have, their sea anchor would have destroyed our bow had I misjudged anything hanging over their bow like a medieval weapon of torture.  Perfectly moored with spring line to be safe we soon began to pack away our main items so there would be less to do the following morning and we could enjoy a good night at the pub.


The welcome, atmosphere and food was great in the pub and it had made such a difference to hire from a southern based boatyard than have to of come from the north.  Of course it depends on yourself, some prefer to cruise for many hours others do not but there is to many a visitor this sort of invisible line they may not cross if they hire from a northern yard and somehow see the southern rivers as not part of the map.  Don't be put off, do give it a go - a short break is an ideal way to sample some of the best pubs on the Broads, and visit some of the most pretty stretches of river.


Freedom Boating Holidays were always helpful, be it on the welcome given, advice of where to go to their help and fast service to correct a couple of problems along the way - and I think their policy of anyday to anyday hire means you can fit in a visit with your schedule more easily.  My dad also very much enjoyed the time afloat saying it was far more relaxing than if he had gone to a hotel - well of course, I was on hand to cook breakie and convey him from location to location with plenty of Aspalls on tap along the way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Come on then. How many of you spotted Jonny's old boat at Thorpe then  :naughty:

I doubt even Jonny would recognize it on the inside now, the new owner has and continues to put in a enormous amount of time and money into its transformation, regardless of the boats resale value they love it and intend to get it just how they deem it should be.  :clap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And finally...


The Boat Review



Song of Freedom proved to be a very nice, cosy and warm boat.  Although it was not that cold you could certainly tell that the heating would keep things toasty and I liked the way the boat was in four compartments, from forward cabin to saloon, to cockpit to aft cabin - all with their own doors.


It is funny how it seems everything these days needs to be bigger, fatter, longer, wider from cars to pushchairs not to mention boats - but it goes to show how a good design and use of space can make 30 feet feel far larger and have plenty of space and drawers to stow your things.


Good to handle, and considering the hours we did many against tides I thought frugal on fuel too.  Would be a really nice small family boat and while not the most modern has some nice touches - such as a refitted galley and salon space to make evenings spent on board pleasant, rounded off with a fair price you really can't go wrong.


So now you can watch the walkthrough and see for yourself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Robin-really great blog,filming,music & commentary excellent-we spend most of our time on the southern broads even though we moor at Sutton Staithe & your blog was a great advert for them.Just one minor point, I take it that you know there are two entrances to Surlingham Broad-one on the left as you approach Brudall towards Norwich & the other as you pointed out on the left as you exit Brundall.

On one of your visits try mud-weighting on Surlingham Broad overnight-an experience not to be missed.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

@boycee: Yes I actually went in the ‘second’ entrance/exit to the Broad and out the ‘first’ which means you kind of do a circle and have to come back past Brooms yard on the main river.


It is indeed a place would be lovely to mudweight on over night, but that remains one of the few things I have never actually done – mudweight on a Broad overnight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We mud weighted there for the first thing last year. It was a lovely hot sunny evening. Only spoilt by some inconsiderate nit coming in at about 10:30 playing loud music and dropping their mud weight close by. We soon got back to sleep. We will be doing it again in August when we are back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sunsets and Sunrises at Surlingham can be amazing, but please it is not Surlingham Broad - it's Bargate. Surlingham Broad is elsewhere down a narrow and shallow channel that you can't really get a cruiser down to the right of the northern-most dyke that enters what many know as Surlingham Broad.


I took Absolute Freedom down there a few years ago, but it's way too overgown now for anything other than a canoe or perhaps a rowboat.


Many thanks to Robin for his custom and review. Song is the last of her example left in hire now and, along with Rambling, is our favourite boat for the family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Sponsors

    Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.