Lifejackets

We are now in need of some lifejackets! Does anyone have some old ones for sale or can offer advice on where and what type to purchase? 2 adults above 10 stone(enough said please ;) ) 1 slim build teenager and one 13 year old to cater for.

Thankyou x

Hi Mandy,

Are you looking for the automatic self inflating lifejackets?

Here is a link to Pacermarine:-

http://www.pacermarine.co.uk/product/crewsaver-cwx-150n-lifejacket-automatic-harness/

These are for sale at £57 each, however they offer the same lifejacket on Ebay at £99 for two on Fast & Free delivery (ebay item number 181437140255).

If these are for Moonlight Shadow I would have thought that they may have been included in the inventory other than the children's life vests.

Regards

Alan

We are giving away all our old lifejackets.

(Not the kids ones)

all good zips and clean no stains, take your pick... shame to go to land fill but we have binned all the

knackered ones....

• Like 6

Hi Geoff, they are Auto inflates..

we waited for the new design of firing mech so it was possible to check the status on each turnaround  I don't know how the other yards do it without the window like we have but it would have not been practicable without. 

we waited for the new design of firing mech so it was possible to check the status on each turnaround  I don't know how the other yards do it without the window like we have but it would have not been practicable without.

Fantastic,

No more cumbersome movement restricting jackets....

Nice move

:Stinky

we waited for the new design of firing mech so it was possible to check the status on each turnaround

I hate to think how much it cost, Clive!  .Oh, and thank you for saving me money. I was going to have to replace the firing mech on ours,as we are bringing our own sailing dinghy with us, but now it can wait till next year!

Staying with the topic of auto lifejackets, but shifting the focus slightly, has anyone changed their auto inflators from dissolving to hydrostatic firing ?

I had my first unwanted inflation last Winter, with the lifejacket left in the cabin, the dampness must have finally dissolved the United Moulders capsule.

When I re-arm it and next replace the others, I wondered if it was feasible to replace with the more expensive hydrostatic mechanisms. Has anyone done this ? or are the threads non-compatible ?

Clive, are your special ones with the windows hydrostatic ?

to be honest I don't know! they use the UML pro sensor...

You've spurred me on to research the options further Clive !

It looks as though the UM Pro Sensor is still a dissolving paper element rather than a hydrostatic mechanism.

I can see the great advantages for your professional application though, (hence the name I suppose).

The two indicators close together on the firing mechanism that show whether it's been fired and if the CO2 cartridge has been pierced, so it makes your special window easier to place.

I can see the windowed "pro" ones becoming a real selling point for all auto inflating lifejackets, making the others far less appealing. No doubt we'll all get bombarded with the sales pitch for them soon !!

I certainly wouldn't buy another new one now without that feature.

Here's the UML product information booklet, nice and clearly explained, for anyone contemplating buying a new auto inflating lifejacket.  Well worth spending the extra on, IMHO.

Especially if Clive's "windowed" lifejackets can be bought by us Amateurs too.....  :)

http://www.uml.co.uk/hres/uml%20pro_sensor%20manual%20_a4%20with%20contents%20page_.pdf

Thank you Clive, it is clear from your picture that the indicators are shown. You will however need to keep a log of the dates on the CO2 cylinders and the activators.

I think you should have had a 3 year useage with those jackets.

I renewed ours when I was down on the boat and we do not need to worry with ours until June 2016 (dates shown on all of the newley fitted activators) unless any are discharged.

Regards

Alan

we are having staff trained this winter by the manufacturer, it will involve inflating the jackets and monitoring for 24 hrs, the firing mechs have a 'replace by' date but I have heard conflicting reports on the canisters so will confirm with the manufacturer during training...

all the jackets have a service record sewn into the lining.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the photo Clive, (and Alan for thinking of asking for it).

That makes it very clear to understand.

What a fantastic improvement it makes. A clear and obvious indication at all times of the security of the device.

I know I'm paranoid about them, but I check mine much more frequently than the manufacturer's required intervals.

I have a very clear understanding of exactly how they work, and what a frighteningly effective diver's weight they would become if any one of a number of crucial factors was faulty.

Thank you Clive for posting the picture, as Strowager rightly says this makes the clear sight of checking that the life jackets are fully armed and ready for deployment to the customers.

This must make you a forunner within the hire industry with regards to customer safety.

Well done.

Regards

Alan

They will make a huge difference of space on the boats compared to the old type. I personally wore the old style one once while out on the quay at Norwich Yacht Station the morning of the hurricane, I looked like a stuffed Budgie lol. But better to be safe than sorry later.

cheers Iain.