Christmas

Gracie

In cold weather, its not the boat, food or anything else that can prove the problem but ICE on the rivers.

It does not take too many frosts to ice over some of the quieter parts and in really chilly conditions quite a lot of the Northern Broads can be inaccessible.. Above Barton is a good example as are South Walsham, Womack and several other places.

You may think it fun to use a boat as an ice breaker but GRP and ice do not happily live together and it is quite easy to damage hulls.

But if its warm and sunny you don't have a problem!!

• Like 1

That is very true and something to bear in mind. Ranworth (Malthouse Broad) freezes very quickly too. As can Loddon. It's sometimes best to stick to the main rivers although I've even known it to start to freeze at Surlingham! As MM says ice breaking is big no-no.

I have just been watching on Food Network a programme titled The Night Before Dinner.      It is a load of Christmassy nonsense where well known Chefs in Canada come together in a log cabin , middle of nowhere,  snow up to your armpits (you know the scene).  On arrival , nowt in cupboards or fridge, but by some Chrstmas magic , you look again and the fridge is bulging , fire lights by itself and you would think that the Pub's Dray had been around delivering by the drink available.

Anyway this chaps cooks a Fresh Turkey Breast (large one)   he starts it off in as frying pan, Maple Bacon,   loads of butter , herbs etc and then finished off in the oven.   My thoughts are that with the restricted size of a boat oven, this could be the answer to cooking a Turkey on Christmas Day if that is someones desire.    

Just a thought. - yes I know get a life , well it passed the time whilst I was doing the ironing.

M

• Like 1

Hi Monica,

At home these days we just cook a turkey crown which is plenty for the family.

There would be no problem with a turkey crown in a boats oven for those afloat over the Christmas period.

Unlike Iain I have heard of ironing and could do it at a push if needed. :naughty:  

Regards

Alan

I bet you look lovely in yer pattern apron on Alan whilst doing the ironing :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1