Pubs in Coltishall.

JimG

Are there still 3 pubs relatively close to the public moorings. Last time I was there, there was The Rising Sun, The Kings Head and The Red Lion. How far away is The Recruiting Sergeant? Are these all still open?

Hi MM

I was last there in June. The chef is Portuguese and at the time they were planning a Portuguese themed weekend but as far as I know they do 'normal' grub the rest of the time. They have half a dozen well kept real ales and usually feature local ones too. There is a quiz night too but forget when this is.

We just "yesterday" went past the Rising Sun to have an explore.. About 500 yards past it gets very tight so we bottled it and span round whilst we could! Having said that - we did see a lot of fish in the water and a pair of kingfishers - so we deemed it worthwhile!

cheers, Jane and Jon

However, the sign prohibiting hire boats from going to the head of navigation had gone in May this year. I don't know if hire companies directly prohibit it though.

The sign disappeared a long while ago - 10 years or so, perhaps. No hire company we've used has prohibited navigation up to the locks and we go up there from time to time. It is shallow and sometimes weedy, but apart from having to clear the weed filters we've never had a problem. Its a lovely short cruise.

We used to pass the common and carry on up to the lock, as it is a beautiful stretch of river, with a few moorings. In our Alpha 32, we never encountered any problems with depth, though it is a bit weedy, that didn't cause a problem. From there the Recruiting Sargent is only 5 mins walk. The river opens out a bit at the lock and so there is plenty of room to turn. The last time we got up there we were guest aboard Broad Ambition, which is longer than our old Alpha, and even so, Griff had no problem turning round.  

• Like 1

How easy would it be for the BA to oe-weed this stretch?. I don`t` mean dredging, just pulling up some of the larger weed growth. If they did that and then put up a sign saying "full navigation to the lock" or something like that, it would mean more trade for the pubs and shop.

I have been to the Recruiting Sargent many times (by road unfortunately).  It can get busy as it is popular for food.  It is about a mile from the moorings at the Kings Head, but as has been said above, you can get a lot nearer by going up to the Mill (or where the mill was!), although I don't know the state of the weeds there at the moment.