BANG!

Timbo

Just finished updating my blog with some footage of the Lightening we had over the Broads on Saturday night.

Image8.jpg?fit=1024%2C1024

Well I'm assuming it was just a storm and 'ole 650xs' was not creating a monster behind one of his sheds..."It Lives!"

http://youtu.be/rM8IUbo0v48

More images on the blog

• Like 6

nice pics tim well dun ...............

the bolt is the devils work here ,eon narfolk land ......eon get it .........................

he is not pleased with all the numbties boat owners here in  the bayou ant .......................

orf me land .......................bad voodoo........................here in deepest red neck land

pay yer bill or get a bolt .......................................

now orf  my land .................................

new echo boat has new power plant ...........................can gooooo faster than  the police slow boot ..!!!

250 million volts up yer transom 

• Like 2

We had a customer that had their phone lines struck by lightening, it took out the PBX, two fax machines, two adsl modems and 12 network cards and a managed switch that some of the phone lines were patched through.

They were left without any communications for two days. The building had lightening conductors but the phone lines were struck before the building.

Regards

Alan

Seriously though,

I love to watch lightning at night when you get the best effects from it.

I remember years and years ago being told to count in seconds after a lightning flash, and whatever number you arrive at, that was the distance in miles as to how far the flash was from you.

If that was the case, then sound would have to travel at 3,600mph, which is the number of seconds in an hour.

I sat down and worked out that with the speed of sound being around 700 mph, the time delay for a flash of lightning to the roll of thunder  a mile away, the difference would be somewhere around 5 seconds?. Is that about right, or have i made a slight miscalculation?.

• Like 1

Best lightning show I ever saw was in 1976 when that long hot summer came to an end.

I was with some friends in a rowing boat in the middle of Coniston Water in the Lake District, the forked lightning circled the lake touching the tops of the mountains.......Spectacular!

When we went out in the boat it was just another hot, sunny day that we had got used to but it changed so quickly, the wind got up and I've never seen a swell like it on a lake.

It was pretty scary but to a 15 year old really exciting

David

i was taught every 5 seconds was a mile

,best lightning show i saw was across the conway valley on the mountainside,good as a firework display

Are you sure they weren't those Welsh Nationalists at it Mike? You know the ole 'come home to a real fire...buy a cottage in Wales' advert?

My ex-mother in law (first one) had the habit of hiding and crouching in the bathtub whenever a thunderstorm would occur...you can't image the hassle I had trying to get the lightening conductor connected to the plumbing!

The strangest after effects of a storm I have encountered was on the Southern Broads in 1972, we were taking Captain XII back to the yard on the last morning of our holiday after a terrific storm the night before. The water was littered with hundreds of dead fish of all sizes and species where the lightening had struck the water.

• Like 1