Toll increase

MauriceMynah

Hi Strowager,

We try and do rings on the canals, the other year we did the Cheshire Ring and from where we started the route almost on the Llangollen Canal we did 136 miles and 100 plus locks in a week.

Some Canals you do end up going one way and returning the same route but that is no different than going from Brundall to Beccles on the Broads

you see different things on each journey.

Be it the Broads or the Canals the main thing is being on the water and boating, we like both.

Regards

Alan

Hi Strowager,

We try and do rings on the canals, the other year we did the Cheshire Ring and from where we started the route almost on the Llangollen Canal we did 136 miles and 100 plus locks in a week.

Some Canals you do end up going one way and returning the same route but that is no different than going from Brundall to Beccles on the Broads

you see different things on each journey.

Be it the Broads or the Canals the main thing is being on the water and boating, we like both.

Regards

Alan

IOO plus locks - that's an awful lot of water lost, which must be replaced somehow, usually by pumps. Pums don't run for free.....

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/water/water-management-faqs

That's another cost which the Broads Authority doesn't face.

Then you have "Nessie" and the beauty of the Highlands on the Cally Canal. Lets be honest here, there is/are a hellova lot of beauty spots and cruising/boating/yachting areas in GB!

What is it they say? Lets all agree to disagree on this one! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

To this day I vividly remember my first, long time ago view of Hickling as it opened up ahead of us. Something that has stayed with me all my life. Open, Norfolk skies and vast, by Norfolk standards, open water, spell binding. If other folk fail to see that way then they are truly missing something. Yes, best seen from the deck of a sailing boat!

Hi Dave,

I can understand why, even going over there a few times, I never look over the edge if I can help it and helm with my left hand so I am on the towpath side. That 2 inch angle iron on the drop edge is a sobering effect when you are not good with heights, after saying that I would not have missed it for the world.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

The more I see this pic and the drop, HOW does it pass Elf and safety with as you say only 2" protection on the other side? Just a thought.

I worked on heights throughout my working life so never been a hassle to me. That crossing though may just change my mind! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

would that not be the same lock full of water following you down?

.... so how does it get back up the hill Clive - and thatr's for every boat? (unless sharing, when the water per boat is obviously less.)

It has to be pumped in most cases, which costs, and then there's maintenance .....

A bit late on the posting, but I agree with Iain.

Lots of beautiful places around and some with sea, rivers, canals, broads and boats in the mix (did I get them all in?) cheersbar 

I love the Broads and am not a sailor, but I will be doing the rag and stick thing round the Grenadines next summer. Done it before, but wouldn't miss it for the world. And if I do fall in - will I care? :dance  :party:

And I will also be crewed by a pair of Olympic class sailors and a team of would be's (my brother and his family) so I don't even have to worry about navigation or string pulling if I choose to have a rum day cheersbar   and take in the sights. 

• Like 2

There is nowhere on the canals that matches Hickling & Horsey for their sheer beauty, for example. I do enjoy the canals, yes, they are more interesting than the Broads, but the Broads is the Broads, and anyway, tacking up a 6'8" waterway is a blo*dy nightmare!

On a pedantic point narrow locks have a breadth of 6' 10" and there are a variety of other types of lock whose breadth is larger. But the point is that the width of canals and navigations themselves is much wider than 6' 10" (or 6' 8" if you prefer!). It would be very difficult for even narrow boats to pass each other if a canal was only 6' 8' wide.

• Like 1