A47 - Upgrades?

You may have seen / heard on the news today that the current government intends to spend a few bob on upgrading our road network.  One of the upgrades mentioned is dualling of the A47.

Not before time some might say.  I initially thought - Great, A47 dualled from Kingls Lynn right through to Gt Yarmouth, but what about the A17?  That could do with being upgraded from the A1 through to Kings Lynn too.

If I was selfish I would say leave the roads as they are - due to dual carriageways and motorways being the bane of (big) bike riders, single carriageways are much quicker for us and a lot more fun

Then the cynic in me got the upper hand.  the A11 has recently been upgraded - only cos it comes from and serves those pesky southerners from London and the South East

I would not be surprised if the only upgrades on the A47 would be from the current Norwich bypass through to Gt Yarmouth - just to aid the rabble mentioned above!

The rest of the country, those from the Midlands, The north, Gods Country and of course Jockland can just make do with the scraps that we have currently got, that is basically a bottle neck from the A1 going east into Norfolk, imho this is way overdue being sorted.

Anyroadup (Pun intended) that's got that lot off my chest - now your turn.

Griff

• Like 5

Just to keep a "balanced view" :liar  I totaly agree with Griff on this one, the A1 although improved recently, is still a joke near Newcastle. :naughty: Down in Yorkielandshire the A1M has improved over the last 40 years a bit. Griff just carry on zooming to Norfolk on yer "Tiger" There is mair chance of us winning the lottery, than getting all these road upgrades soon!

cheers Iain

Don't get too excited. The A47 is being improved but a number of stretches between Lynn and Yarmouth including the Acle Straight will remain single carriage sections. A large amount of the allocated cash is to be spent on sorting out dangerous intersections and improving rounderbouts

I totally agree with you Dave on the subject o the Acle Straight. It would appear that a great proportion of the money will be spent improving the A11, Norwich, A47 junction and the Yarmouth A12 access near Breydon Bridge. But then there is a lot can happen in the five years until work is due to start.

I find that when I have a very early start and avoid Norwich the roads are fine just the way they are, but then I am only traveling just under one hundred and seventy miles. Traveling from a south westerly direction I see no point in working on the roads from any other direction. :)

I have to agree with Griff though. If we had dual carriage way from all directions just think how busy it would get.