Stormy Weather

Gracie

A wee update, 

Its still wild n windy up here, I doubt very much if the Ardrossan to Brodick Ferry for the Isle of Arran has moved in three days. We have had hail, sleet and snow showers this morning. This is typical January equinox gales weather up here.

On the bright side, it will soon be the start of the new boating season folks. Stay safe all.

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Two young men were swept to their deaths on Brighton beach last night, apparently they had been out drinking and playing silly beggars still none the less tragic though, one body has been found but still searching for the other, feel so sorry for the families

Thought our roof was coming off last night, the sea was coming over the wall onto the promenade, scary stuff.

Have you got power where you are Iain? I understand there are thousands of homes from your part of the world that haven't

Keep safe everyone

Grace

• Like 2

Hi Grace,

Yep we have power thank goodness, but further north up Dingwall - Inverness things aint so clever. Friends in Skye have no power the last I heard.

Not been out today, nor doubt tomorrow either. The old arthritis dizny like this kind of weather.

Hope all ok down south. Take care.

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Sad news about Brighton there :( We had gust down here of about 60mph, unfortunately Orca is quite exposed when the tides out as the wind has enough room to build up. In the week two acros came lose and the boat ended resting on the back up timber backup supports but she happily sat there until re-secured her. We was further worried about the amount of windage the canopy provides so friday evening we added a further timber tower under the midships to give it a further support and she thankfully she was fine yesterday although we have worst expected midweek I think :( 

• Like 2

As you know we are in a yacht club and in the strong winds last year we had just that, a couple went over and took the next one out, only to be stopped by the last boat who had decent props (Thankfully no damage was done, these rags are strong things ;) ). I think in normal yards they are generally OK but without being libellous, some of these boats aren't secured as well as they should be, largely because the boat owner arranges their own props. We have some large fin keelers next to us though and I wouldn't want to think what would happen if they go over, thankfully they seem well secured but If we go over (which I can't see we can now!) it would be a crane job as we have no equipment onsite to righten it!   But people say the boats are safer in the water than out for such reasons. cheers

• Like 2

Hi All,

I guess I am beginning to sound like an old 78 record thats stuck. Well basically its as naff as naffness can be again today. Very wet, very windy, with the houselights on. I hope they get the overhead lines sorted so that normal service resumes to Glasgow tomorrow for the working folks who commute from this area.

cheers Iain.

The body of the other lad washed up on Rottindean beach some three miles away from where they were swept in, not that it makes the slightest difference but my heart and thoughts are with the families

Sorry it's rough for you Iain, you wouldn't think we had storms here at the moment, very sunny and just a slight breeze although 30mph winds are expected later, which compared to Scotland is a walk in the park I would imagine

Grace

I've just been for a brisk toddle around Oulton Broad, brrrrrrr! Bitingly cold on the extremities with a near gale force wind. High tide on the 'salt side' at Oulton Broad was high with the sea water floating the wooden bridge across Mutford Lock so that had to be closed. Minor flooding on Oulton Broad itself but that has all gone away now. 

Hi Grace,

Living on the coast, and Troon in particular we are used to gales in the winter, these ones have been storm force and not abating much, so for the poor blokes going up poles to reconnect power can be a tad dangerous to say the least. 

When I played golf, you were at a loss as on non windy days here which clubs to use :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Griff,

I have crossed on the P&O Pride of Hull in a 60mph, most enjoyable getting to the bar and back without spilling a drop! :naughty:  What tickled me was, the caberet carried on as normal, with the waves crashing into the bow and the curtains moving back and forwards.

cheers Iain.