Squatters

JennyMorgan

One of my daughters came back from Germany yesterday and on the train from London overheard a rather alarming conversation if she heard it correctly. Apparently an individual was bragging that he is dossing on a boat in the Beccles yacht station, without the owner's knowledge and presumably consent. My Rebecca might have got it wrong but it does ring true and is certainly possible. People abandon their boats for six months of the year making them an obvious target for dossers and if one is doing it then I'm sure others will follow. Worth checking or asking us locals to check.

• Like 8

If this is correct it shows that the boatyard is not maintaining the security to which the boat owner is entitled. After all these moorings are not cheap. Personally, I would be looking for a refund of fees if a boatyard allowed some scruff to doss on my boat. 

Back in the 90s I had a weird situation...

I was working shift in those days, visiting my boat two weekends in three right throughout the year.

Occasionally I'd get the feeling that someone else had been aboard. One winter I was proved right.

The river was frozen over when I got to the boat and getting dark so I sat onboard, had a few smokes (I did in those days) and a bottle of red. Went to the pub for din dins then back to bed.

In the morning I went to empty the ash tray overboard (yes, I used to do that too :( ) and noticed on the ice that somebody else had been doing it before me.

On the ice were quite a lot of dog ends, I guessed about 20 to 30. I managed to retrieve one and found it to be a different brand to mine. It was obvious that whoever it was had been doing what I did, emptying the ashtray out of the window.

As I have said, I'd had the feeling for over a year that someone else had been using the boat but this was the first time I ever found actual evidence.

There was never anything missing, even though there was usually cash on board.

There was never any mess, but it did explain why on occasions I seemed to think the boat was slightly cleaner than I'd left it.

It took me some weeks to decide what to do, leaving little traps or tell tales. I'd leave a dead leaf in a certain position on the carpet and just one dog end in the ashtray. Sure enough, even though the dog end was still in the ashtray, it was in a different position and the leaf was gone. Whoever it was he/she was very careful to cover their tracks. (and No!, I never noticed anything in the snow).

Eventually I left them a note saying that I knew they were using the boat and had been doing so for some considerable time, but given that they'd proved to me their honesty and carefulness with my property, they were welcome to carry on, and perhaps we might meet up sometime.

When I next went to the boat I could tell the note had been read but there was no reply, and to the best of my knowledge, sadly, they never returned.  ..Shame really! Still, probably the rarest form of squatter!

Edited to ask... is there any way of using the word "Welcome" without the welcome banner coming up?

• Like 7

JM:

Even so, as the mooring appears to be somewhat long term I would expect for the price charged (which is never cheap) at least a polite challenge to anybody other than the owner who is around the boat or a telephone call to the owner to clarify the situation would be in order.

• Like 1

orf my land with shot gun up yer **** ...................

I will happily remove all unwanted tennats we offer full evac service across uk

knock ..knock .....................

time to move on ....................

hose eviction and boat hassle a pleasure ..just ask

• Like 10

orf my land with shot gun up yer **** ...................

I will happily remove all unwanted tennats we offer full evac service across uk

knock ..knock .....................

time to move on ....................

hose eviction and boat hassle a pleasure ..just ask

PMSL Jon !!! :clap  :clap  :clap

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Back in the 90s I had a weird situation...

I was working shift in those days, visiting my boat two weekends in three right throughout the year.

Occasionally I'd get the feeling that someone else had been aboard. One winter I was proved right.

The river was frozen over when I got to the boat and getting dark so I sat onboard, had a few smokes (I did in those days) and a bottle of red. Went to the pub for din dins then back to bed.

In the morning I went to empty the ash tray overboard (yes, I used to do that too :( ) and noticed on the ice that somebody else had been doing it before me.

On the ice were quite a lot of dog ends, I guessed about 20 to 30. I managed to retrieve one and found it to be a different brand to mine. It was obvious that whoever it was had been doing what I did, emptying the ashtray out of the window.

As I have said, I'd had the feeling for over a year that someone else had been using the boat but this was the first time I ever found actual evidence.

There was never anything missing, even though there was usually cash on board.

There was never any mess, but it did explain why on occasions I seemed to think the boat was slightly cleaner than I'd left it.

It took me some weeks to decide what to do, leaving little traps or tell tales. I'd leave a dead leaf in a certain position on the carpet and just one dog end in the ashtray. Sure enough, even though the dog end was still in the ashtray, it was in a different position and the leaf was gone. Whoever it was he/she was very careful to cover their tracks. (and No!, I never noticed anything in the snow).

Eventually I left them a note saying that I knew they were using the boat and had been doing so for some considerable time, but given that they'd proved to me their honesty and carefulness with my property, they were welcome to carry on, and perhaps we might meet up sometime.

When I next went to the boat I could tell the note had been read but there was no reply, and to the best of my knowledge, sadly, they never returned.  ..Shame really! Still, probably the rarest form of squatter!

Ghost's of the Norfolk Broads ? :shocked

• Like 3