Spring is on the way

fishtone

I went to work this morning, I needed to send out a package to Italy. I dug out the drive and cleared off the 3 to 4 inches of snow off of the roof of my car.

At least I was not going into town, by all accounts there had been accidents on all of the hills going into town, our main road was like a one way car park.

The going was good but the five minute journey into work took nearly an hour and was not helped by someone in a white Audi that only managed to go at less than 5 miles per hour and the 2 miles behind him/her was torture. If people can not drive in the snow they should stay at home or park up safely and walk IMHO.

I arrived home three hours later to find another 3 inches of snow on the drive.

Such are the joys of spring, after saying that it is now bright & sunny with the odd flake of snow coming down.

Regards

Alan 

Never mind Alan, I know the feeling! Once you have retired, you won't need to go through all that. I used to be a truck driver before I retired, up at four in the morning and in all weathers. So glad that all that is behind me now. Today, here in the Midlands, is a beautiful day. The wind has dropped and the sun has got its hat on. We have not seen any snow, although we had a bit of sleet yesterday, but nothing to worry about. Just about to go out for a walk, down the fields, behind our house, which overlook a new RSSPB nature reserve across the river Tame from old gravel workings. Further beyond is the old estate of Drayton Manor, former home of Sir Robert Peel, who as Prime Minister, introduced the Police force (The Peelers). The old house has long gone and it is now the well known Drayton Mannor Theme Park.

Hi Alan,

I see you have had a frustrating day so far. Get out into the garden and build a snowman/person type thingy. Release your stress levels! :naughty:

Its white all round us here, but as usual Troon is a green as grass! They are even out on the golf courses. I wont say they are mad, as I did it myself many years ago also. :naughty:

Stay warm all, remember our "HUGE" discounts we will be getting from our gas providers later!!!. :liar  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

....We have February to get over yet! This can usually be the coldest month of the year, so don't think now January is coming to an end, that spring is just around the corner....

Perhaps this photo album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126797358@N05/sets/72157648166602503/ may warm people up!

I posted it to my flickr site a few days ago: the *Indian* version of ‘The Broads’.... :)

Regards,

Paul cheers

• Like 3

Despite the snow today, those of you who monitor the BTO's cuckoo website will see that cuckoos generally are beginning their long and perilous migration back to these shores from Central Africa!!!

Long way to come but they have started!! :)

Ah, MM they aint daft, they have "Clocked" that EASTER is earlier this year ;)

cheers Iain.

Ah, MM they aint daft, they have "Clocked" that EASTER is earlier this year ;)

cheers Iain.

Not as early as the one we had in March quite a few years ago now, (not exactly sure of the year, about 2003 I think) and it was severely cold with snow blizzards. It was recorded the coldest Easter on record. It doesn't happen very often, but Easter can sometime fall in early March. The more norm is for Easter to fall in April.  

Despite the snow today, those of you who monitor the BTO's cuckoo website will see that cuckoos generally are beginning their long and perilous migration back to these shores from Central Africa!!!

Unfortunately 'Skinner', the Cuckoo that comes to Whitlingham, hasn't

shown any information since the middle of January, which although not

of great concern yet, could mean his tag needs a good recharge from

the sun or he may have died.

We saw and heard him several times when we overnighted at the

Commissioners Cut last June, so I hope that he is ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick notice for anyone heading under Potter Heigham Bridge from the Hickling side.

If you stop for the pilot and tie to one of the two trees on the left hand side, be prepared to be made to jump out of your skin!

A pair of geese have made a nest on the hollow of one of the trees and thinks little of anyone tying to it.

• Like 2