Multi Tool - Corded Power Tool

I currently own a ;Fein' professional multi tool, bought it around 10 years ago now (Cost me over £500 !!!) I have it repaired twice and it needs repairing yet again, this time the repair might be the end of it.

So I may be in the market for a replacement.  I'm not bothered about cordless - prefer a corded model and I'm looking at a Bosch GOP2000 - 250W for around £100:00

like this:- http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gop2000-250w-multi-cutter-240v/5423f

Anyone got any recomendations before I part with beer chits on the wrong model?

Thanks in advance

Griff

Hi Griff,

If you have been used to Fein tools you might be better going for Makita, I still have one of their very early jigsaws that I have been using for well over 40 years and my plane is far better than the Bosch that I still have but rarely use.

I have a Fein biscuit joiner and I find that a very good tool.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AEASPOY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008JD60B8&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0ZCNPKASRH4ZNWEQX4CE

The above is the 110 volt version which I assume you would prefer to use on site.

Regards

Alan

I have a green Bosch one that failed early last year (bought because I thought it would be a fad tool, but found we used it regularly), When it failed, I bought a fein and was astonished at the quality. 

I have repaired the bosch since and use both, but the fein is just stunning, I would echo what has been said about Makita though. Would avoid Milwaukee and AEG as these are just names now, being churned out of the same chinese company. 

We have had our bosch green gop one for years and as Dave works for a power tool wholesaler (so gets staff discounts) we don't treat the tools with complete respect but this little bosch just keeps going with all the abuse it gets (including getting thrown (i mean dropped) from the boat!.  Blue bosch have even better motors and gear boxes. (Here's his order of preference, Panasonic, bosch blue, bosch green, makita, hitachi..B&Q lol then ryobi dewalt etc..)  Fein are meant to be really good so it maybe worth getting it repaired for now. 

Hi Griff,

I use to repair Bosch powertools, I don't know about the Blue model but the Green one has/had a soft cummutator so they do burn out if overworked. I would go with Makita as Alan says, but, as the old saying goes, you pays yer money and take yer choice.

cheers Iain.

Hi Griff just done a search on your pick and it looks like it a S/fix model after searching and checking Bosch site they do the 250 model at £102 you'll have to chross check the spec to suit.

I've check Costco online and nothing there and Kaz managed to divert me pass the tool section last night while down there.

Only other thing is you can get 3% back from Screwfix via Quidco, Made a few quid using my company card.

So far I've burnt out three of the bosch ones, two green and one blue, and none of the had a lot of use, Now I have the 310w Lidl one and the 300w Workzone one from Aldi, and I can't fault either of them, they are both well used and abused, I bought them because the were cheap but they well and truely out perform Bosch, as Martin says you can buy three of them for the price of the Bosch,,

Frank,,,

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

I have a Makita paddle-master grinder (110v) that gets LOTS of daily use and has never let me down - had it for years too

So I might be swayed by investing in a Makita Multi-tool.

However I shall put the Fein in for estimate / repair. 

I had to do a job at our Donny branch of Holiday Inn Express this last week, there is potential for 40 odd ensuites to repair which will entail cutting out the original 18mm ply under the tiles so need something reliable etc.

Thanks for all your input - very good of you

Griff

Ok after much communication with other tradesmen, you lot on here assisting I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this baby:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEIN-FMT250-MultiTalent-MultiTool-Kit-Wood-Metal-Blade-Sander-Case-240v-110v-/390873033986?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&var=&hash=item5b01d92d02

Its 250w and 110v, Why a 'Fein' well my current (Deceased) model is/was a Fein and it served me well, this model also comes with a three year guarantee.

I'm missing not having it to hand, could have done with it yesterday on a job too

Griff

• Like 2

Change that (Slightly) as I can't seem to edit my last post.  After a communication with yet another trades person he advised I should go for the 'Q' version, around £20:-- more but quick release of blades, no tools (Allen key and the like) required to change blades.

Griff

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Aldi one, and to be fair it gets a fair bit of use, as it is now one of my preferred saws in the tool box.

The only issue is, the blades are expensive and don't last that long.

I recently used it to cut plaster and plasterboard to recess some central heating pipes and it was fantastic, no wonder it wrecks the blades...

I have also cut some corrugated clear plastic roofing panels, I used the semi circular cutting blade and it cut without chipping unlike a jig saw blade. However when cutting plastic, it does tend to melt the plastic on the edge, but easily removed.

Cutting wood in situ is it's greatest asset, as you can cut squarely to a wall.

For those DIY'ers that haven't used one, try one, you'll soon wonder how you have managed all these years without it.

Have to agree with the above! for general usage the Aldi or Lidl ones are really good, I use mine a lot along with one of the best tools I have my Aldi Mini plunge saw, for anyone that has a Multi tool and wants good quality replacement blades, this company take some beating, they are cheap, do blades for most makes and they outlast my Expensive Bosch ones by miles,,http://www.sharkblades.co.uk/

Frank,,,,