Norwich overnight .

Lastdraft

We are big Norwich fans - not the team, the city. Heard all sorts of negative comments re staying overnight at the Yacht Station, but decided to find out for ourselves. Arrived late Monday afternoon, booked in with the BA ranger a young lad with a beard , think he was called Christran ? Around 6pm we heard a drunken lout effin and jeffin spoiling for a fight before eventually putting his foot through a bus shelter showering my boat with glass, the ranger called the police and he was carted off in handcuffs. Full marks to the young ranger who called at each boat to check occupants were ok and apologised for the incident. Unfortunately the fun continued between midnight and 03:00 with a constant stream of louts shouting and screaming and then quiet - until the first buses around 06:00 ! this was Monday in April, wonder if it will be quieter on a Saturday in June ? hasn't put us off the place but maybe as day visitors from now on.

Just to reiterate , the ranger was a credit to his job .

• Like 5

Hi Lastdraft,

We overnighted there in early May last year. The first noise we heard, were the poor sods heading off to work! :naughty:  A city is a city I guess, I have heard the odd nutter doing the full anglo saxon bit, not pleasent at all. 

I know we will be up there again this year. Great to read that the Ranger on duty carried out his duties to a high standard, good on him.

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Hello Lastdraft, we also love Norwich, but the trouble is, I always spend too much money shopping. As for mooring at the Yacht Station. Well we do try to give Friday and Saturday nights a miss for mooring over night  :hardhat:.

Norwich is a great city and for us, we still have a lot of places to visit :clap and give the shops amiss  :naughty: .

The other year, with our other boat, we went under Bishop's Bridge and cruised to the far end. It was so good.

Regards

Marina   :Stinky  

• Like 3

We did a Friday night a few years ago and had the noisy revellers until the early hours like yourselves. Up most of the night making sure there were no pranks with mooring lines despite taking all the normal precautions.

Wouldn't do it again but that's my personal opinion.

It is a shame as it is a nice city

• Like 2

Used to overnight in Norwich quite a bit. Mainly high season when there were other boats around. One year we had just arrived back at the boat and were having a final drink for the night when I felt the boat move. I immediately stood up and shouted oi at the top of my voice whilst reaching for the back door. My friend jumped and spilt most of his drink, the idiot who had climbed on the back of my boat, made the rear roof, but not the centre cockpit roof before legging it.

Now I prefer to moor in Thorpe and walk or get the bus to Norwich, or more often when on the Northern side moor at Wroxham and get the train to Norwich. I find that Wroxham, whilst a good daytime location is quite lacking in the evening. So often I spend the night in Coltishall and sample the delights of The Recruiting Sargent or The Kings Head, then cruise back the next day to Wroxham and spend the evening in Norwich. Have also been known to go the other way and get the train to Sherringham, especially when The Poppy Line has its beer festival.

• Like 1

Hi Keith, is the recruiting Sergeant still as good as it was. Heard a report recently that it had gone downhill but that was from someone who tends to think the only place to eat on the broads is the Lavender House and everywhere else is peasant food. Have you moved from WRC by the way?

Paul,

During the last holiday, the week before Easter I visited The Sargent and it was very very good. The next day was forecast to be very windy (as Hurricane found out ) so we had breakfast and walked to the Deli opposite The Sargent for some goodies before stopping off at The Red Lion for a couple followed by The Kings Head for one. The menu looked so good that a plan was formed. Move the boat 100m to the leccy point and plug in to get hot water, I really hate running engines at moorings, then The Kingd Head for an equally good supper. On this occasion both were equally as good, but if I had to name a winner it would be The Kings Head, which was the best I've known it in a long time.

Yes I've moved on from The WRC, around five and a half years ago. Are you the Paul that may have helmed my boat back to The WRC a number of years ago?

I favour the green at Thorpe St Andrew. It is within easy reach of Norwich. There are two pubs there, or there was two years ago when I last visited.

the Rushcutter pub does some really good food and beer and has moorings of its own. It can be busy at lunchtimes as many Norwich business people use it then.

Please be aware that even if the boat will pass under the rail bridge at lower states of the tide it may not at high tide. there is a tidal range there of around a metre.

If you want to spend a day/night exploring a vibrant city then you should definitely visit Norwich.

Don't expect it to be quiet though .... the yacht station is adjacent to a busy through road and very close to the busy night club/bar  area of Prince of Wales road.

But hey ...... you've got the rest of the holiday to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Go on ..... be brave ...... give Norwich a try ..... to quote a well known Norwich Lady "Let's be havin you"!

• Like 3

The other option is to moor at church path 24 hour moorings and catch the train from Brundall gardens station. We used the train last week, leaves about quarter to the hour and cost £6.00 return for two. Then you get to stay at a quiet mooring for the night. The mooring has been extended to provide 4 in total.

• Like 1

Yes I've moved on from The WRC, around five and a half years ago. Are you the Paul that may have helmed my boat back to The WRC a number of years ago?

Guilty as charged, the (xxxx) artist formerly known as Boatboy. I didn't realise it had been quite that long, but thought I hadn't seen you around that corner of the world for a while.

Yes I moved to St Olaves which puts me more central for the Southern side and 1hr15 closer to Breydon should I want to go round the North side. Plus the mooring is more secure, gated access to pontoons, car park is also secure, no 15 mins of narrow country lane as the last part of the journey and its slightly cheaper. Downsides are few and far between but its not as pretty as the WRC and no onsite pub, but on the up side it does mean I tend to turn up and use the boat, rather than staying in The Waveney Inn to silly o'clock, although as you probably know Nigel and Tracy have also left The WRC now as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time i was there (2012) the ranger told me about some idiot who had jumped off a bridge as a private boat was passing under and cracked all the roof with the weight of his landing, he then jumped in and swam to the bank and bogged off leaving the owners of a boat with a severley damaged roof. Its certainly a worry visiting Norwich YS with your own boat but thankfully the ranger said these incidents are all rather isolated.

We have just had a week on the Broads, but stayed in the north. After returning the boat last Friday morning, 24th April, we drove to Norwich, where we had booked a guest house for the night, so we could spend some time in Norwich before going home. I will be covering our visit to the city as part of our holiday blog in Holiday Tales.

• Like 1