The 'net nannie' filter.

Poppy

You know - the one that filters objectionable language.  Why is an apparently 'US 'version used here?   We have our OWN  - arguably the proper - version of English where some words have retained their original meaning.

In another thread about donation boxes on moorings we see ***  where the posted word would appear to be f a g. Now, we all know that the Septics use that word as slang for homosexual - but WE don't.

Have others noticed any similar anomalies?

Yes, I too find it pretty irritating!

We can't talk about Tits be they blue, coal or marsh.

As you say, I can't offer anyone a fag, though that's more because I don't smoke.

I don't know if I can mention that chicken breasts are one of the dryer meats from the bird, nor will I know until I post this.

I am well aware that there are some genteel folk from the Royal Navy who are members of this forum and that their blushes must be spared, but can we not be trusted not to write profanities?

I just had a mental conversation go through my head (Well, where else would a mental conversation go?)

Child..

. "Mummy, What does 'Dilligaf' mean?

Child again, on hearing the reply..

."No mummy it doesn't, but I just wondered if you knew what it meant!"

• Like 2

ALAN!!!!! JONZO!!!! Help!!!!  We have members requiring their Brittish words to spit forth or fifth. Can we have the filters changed PLEASE!!! Ta. :)

cheers Iain.

That was a Moderator Broadcast on behalf of disgruntled members :naughty:  :naughty:

• Like 6

I think someone had a problem with Scunthorpe before on this forum (although might have been another). But similar problem.

I had an email bounced last week replying to a friend ( company profanity filters) because we had mentioned a pub called the Cock Inn. Ok we can all do the boyish jokes but it is a real pub that we are going to.

Without being a prude I guess it is safer to be over cautious but I agree the yanks are taking over and they can't even spell colour!! I assume most of these filters are built in the US as well.

As far as "Scunthorpe" goes, it makes it far worse when the filter does its job!

And Yes! we can all make jokes about the Cock Inn as well as Uranus and all the other schoolboy double meanings but I have to ask, in this day and age, do we really need to be so straight laced?

I am well aware that there are some words that are totally unacceptable on a public forum, others which are, shall we say, questionable, but these days many in common usage that are now thought so soft as to be acceptable at a church hall meeting of the parish spinsters.

I hear the argument that children may read the forums, well firstly I doubt that any who do are not already fully familiar with the terms but second I would doubt that this forum for example has anything of a young readership, there's too little to interest them!

We are each responsible for our own actions. If we breach the unwritten acceptable level, a pm mentioning this should suffice, an automated net-nanny is unnecessary.

• Like 2

Hi MM,

I agree what you say, well I have to, or you will tell me off! :cry Seriously, if such really bad words appear on here, and they have, but  not meant, (typo errors) I have deleted them before they have become well read posts. 

Yes, I and the other Mods may miss the odd word, but I am sure we will receive a PM PDQ! to erase said word, if your edit time is up!

It just require our Admin chaps to sort it all out. I am retired now from such work! I just read n read :naughty:

cheers Iain

We are each responsible for our own actions. If we breach the unwritten acceptable level, a pm mentioning this should suffice, an automated net-nanny is unnecessary.

Agreed.

I would add that if any member has yet to complete his '50', the fact that a PM was needed in his case should be taken into consideration.

I would doubt that this forum for example has anything of a young readership

What about me? I'm young (ish) though most of the words I suspect you are refering to have been used around me in the last few months so, yes, sadly I have heard them already!

• Like 2