Keep dogs on leads, please.

JennyMorgan

I am NOT anti-dog, far from it, but I am always dismayed when I witness leadless dogs chasing wildlife such as swans and ducks, it does happen. This story caught my eye, in my opinion responsible and realistic comment. 

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/horrified_dog_owner_warns_others_to_use_leads_at_blickling_after_vicious_attack_on_sheep_1_4049720

Our cat wont go anywhere near the Mallards in our garden so unlikely to attack a sheep!!

I can see where your coming from though Smellyloo.

Dont forget though if a bull, horse or ram decides to stand his ground your favourite mutt might come off worse.

And as been mentioned before on the forum not everyone is a dog lover and likes to be licked or jumped on by someone else's dog. And then there are those who are scared of dogs. Cats do tend to keep away.

This is certainly not normal dog behaviour in my experience, to chase and play even dominate may be normal but to viscously attack is very alarming. How does the owner know that this dog wont one day zone in on a human or another smaller dog for instance. I dont think I could trust this dog even on a lead it sounds very risky to me I wonder what the breed is.

Yes, I will second that.

It is quite amazing to see doting dog owners happily watch their furry friends sniff around mooring posts to which boats have tied up to and then pee all over the mooring ropes.

Even worse is that some dog owners think that if they are out in the countryside that their furry friends can s***t anywhere and they do not have to clear it up. I have lost count of the times I have trod in this disgusting mess and trod it all over my boat.

• Like 2

I have seen people let their dogs do the pee up the mooring posts thing on the pontoon at OB YS. Straight off the boat after mooring and let rover trot down the pontoon doing what dogs love to do. Having a hose to hand would be good, but I bet you would get some nice language from the doggy owners.

• Like 1

All to do with poor owner behaviour im afraid. I have to say ive never had a dog pee on my mooring lines but that might have more to do with my german shepherd and jack russell keeping a good look out rather than good fortune!

We have just come back from a popular holiday park in the Netherlands where they have specific fenced off areas designated as dog toilets, doesnt mean anybody picks up after the mutts in those either, my dogs were disgusted to say the least...

People really do talk a load of crap on this subject, I come down to the Broads most weekends in the spring/summer/autumn and have done for the last 12 years while I've owned Andorra and have never seen a pile of Dog poo by a mooring post, most dog owners are very responsible and I see them all the time ensuring their dogs don't wee up mooring lines (oviously it can happen if the dog is desperate), we visit Oulton 2-3 times a month and always moor on the pontoon and I have only once seen a dog wee up a mooring post and the owner got a water hose and washed it off.

I cannot honestly remember the last time I stood in dog poo and for anyone who has lost count of the number of times they have trod in Dog mess and trod it all over their boat I would suggest either Adult Education lessons in Maths and or a trip to Specsavers. for goodness sake if you've stood in the horrible stuff you must know from the stink or the fact you would probably slip in it.

No excuse what so ever for owners not clearing up their dog mess but in reality it is not the problem certain people on here would have you believe.

Dave[/quote

Despite dissmising the dog fouling issue as a matter of little consequnce there are some who view this subject very seriously indeed.

An area which gives great concern is Ranworth, the green, which is visited by visiting craft and people who simply wish to sit by the broad.

Unfortunately, private boat owners, as well as holidayhire craft consider it acceptable to allow their dogs access to the grass area, without being on a lead to deficate on the grass and to urinate on posts and indeed the water hoses. Without clearing the disgusting mess up, or cleaning down the posts and ropes with water.

Those who choose to ignore this fact, or choose to believe that it does not exist, are in my opinion acting irresponsibly as indeed are those who allow it to happen in the first place.

• Like 5

Wussername,

I would also say that I have probably seen more walkers/non boaters with their dogs off leads who cannot possibly keep an eye on all their 4 legged friends antics who are the worst culprits. I am mainly on the South if that makes a difference.

I have to say in the marina we are in there are plenty of dogs and all walked on leads on the grass well away from the berthing posts (see I remembered). Of course it's a rule of the marina, but not everyone obeys the rules. 

Pooping and peeing aside it just shows a total lack of regard for other people, their property and the social amenities. 

And as said before, I dont have a problem with dogs at all, I like dogs, just dont want them jumping and slobbering all over me or there stuff on my ropes. Why assume a dog will always do as it's told (and I agree some are better trained than others)?

And I know it wasn't aimed at me - but I cant remember the last time I trod in dog poo - but I put it down to the fact I spend more time looking where I am walking than enjoying the view (and that goes for where I live as well so not just boaters). :swordpir:

• Like 2

Seems to be an unfortunate trait of the poster mentioned as I have recently realised on another broads related forum. If things dont fit his ideal then its either wrong, not true or just invalid as an argument, but we live and learn

Throughout life we live and learn.  :)

cheers Iain

Wussername makes a good point about dogs being allowed to run freely at popular moorings. As much as I love the place, Geldeston Locks is not a good place to moor if you find dogs and dog poo offensive. If children are allowed to run freely, as well as dogs, then it is a fair bet that sooner or later the child will make contact with dog mess, as I well know from unpleasant experience. I was once told, at Geldeston, by a dog owner whose dog was running around, that I should not allow my grand-kids a free rein, that way they would avoid the inevitable dog mess! Well, my grand-kids don't poo in public spaces, don't pinch food from tables and don't wee against table legs!  

Well behaved children, like dogs, can be a real pleasure . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but sometimes we have to tolerate their shortcomings, but that said, surely there has to be a reasonable limit.

• Like 4

At a marina we were once moored there was a dog owner who often let the dog wander about on its own and then they go looking for its business sometime afterward, lovely dog and nice people but its not very good is it. Walking around the grassed areas there without permanently looking down wasnt really an option either.

For those of you who have not stood in a "barkers egg" may consider themslves extremely fortunate.

For those who have experienced this on a regular basis, especially when wearing yachting shoes with complex non slip soles will find it memorable. In fact it could well turn biblical as you blissfully cart the contents of your shoe onto the deep pile of the axminster in your lounge.

The intrinsic complexity of the design could well involve the use of a tooth pick, whilst sitting aft. Happy boating.

• Like 2

I did not state that you dismissed dog fouling. But you most certainly refered to it in a dismissive tone.

Regarding meeting you on Friday I regret I have more important matters to attend.

However all is not lost on your quest for authentication. May I direct you to Steve and his staff at the Ranworth shop who witness this issue on a regular basis, if not on a daily basis. I have spoken to him and he will be more than happy to enlighten you.

Finally the grass was cut about four days ago. Dogs mess was cascaded throughout the area. A bit like a crop sprayer actually.

Today, some 30 children from a local school arrived at lunchtime.Where did they sit? I will tell you. On the grass.

I do not find this imposition acceptable by any measure.