It came to a sudden halt

LadyPatricia

When we crossed Breydon yesterday we followed a boat across that was to say the least going all over the place. When we approached the turning up the Yare going past the Berney Arm they decided to take a short cut and proceeded the wrong side of the green posts. The result was a very sudden holt.

I think this was a Freedom boat but not 100% sure, it looked like Lady of Freedom. I hope they managed to get themselves free and back under way.

post-30525-0-38626900-1430303656_thumb.j

It happens season after season, usually you do not see the crew onboard on the ones we have seen I expect in many cases they are in hiding below and thinking what did the guy at the boatyard say about Breydon?

It is not only hirers I have seen one or private boats also fall foul to Breydon.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Perhaps they have stopped to fish? I want to try it one day (actually am I allowed to or will we get told off? as it's a nature reserve isn't it?).

Aside I hope she got off with no harm caused to the boat or Andy's (and co's) yard and the crew quickly got back to their holiday. 

cheers

• Like 1

You really have to concentrate ALL the way across Breydon, watching those posts. You are remember, going faster than at any other place on the Broads, so maybe the reason folks go outside those posts, by not looking properly where they are heading. Just a thought.

cheers Iain

• Like 1

I think there are some nasty stakes under there, not a corner to shortcut under any circumstances.

yes there are some nasty stakes in that corner.i towed six boats off the same spot last year and two this year so far.i towed a private boat of last year he told me that the marker posts are only there for deep draught vessels?no they are there to show you the channel unless you can float on mud was my reply as he sat at 45degrees.
  • Like 17

Boats do some sometimes seem to become disorientated and suddenly dash off between posts for apparently no good reason whatsoever, despite other nearby boats obviously getting it right.  I've crossed Breydon at night, in mists, and have always managed to stay afloat, it's not that hard, just needs some common sense and a pair of eyes, in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

Last year I crossed Breydon and a mist came down just as I was entering by the Berney Arms. It got to the point where I couldn't see the posts at all (most disorientating) but by taking it gently I still managed to stay in the channel (I think). I had a friend on board who's main assistance was to put extra rum in the coffee. Well trained eh! 

• Like 5

Boats do some sometimes seem to become disorientated and suddenly dash off between posts for apparently no good reason whatsoever, despite other nearby boats obviously getting it right.  I've crossed Breydon at night, in mists, and have always managed to stay afloat, it's not that hard, just needs some common sense and a pair of eyes, in my humble opinion.

Oh, if only we all had common sense and a pair of eyes.

It is definitely Lady of Freedom; no doubt about that.

Regular customer on board and no mention of the incident when they came back and all looks well. 

Haven't posted that much lately as had little to say or add to topics here.  

• Like 3

I remember my first capsize on Hickling ....... whilst swimming back to the boat, to right it, my foot touched bottom.

Then realised I could stand easily and walk the boat back to land.

Thereafter I chose to sail with large lumps of iron hanging off the bottom ...... it's amazing how gentle a grounding can feel when pushing into the mud, something that seemed for me to be a frequent occurence.

All good practice though for wriggling back out of the mud.