webcam

Guest Jonny

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Neil

seen it a few times not changed much from the early years and i loved every bit of the boat. the wheel hasn't even been changed stunning boats only a few of them on the broads the last one that was in hire is now up for sale ow man i wish :(:(:(

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

I am sorry but those juggernauts do not belong on the broads,just my opinion. can you imagine the chaos that would ensue with that monstrocity trying to turn round there in summer. two gunstwo guns:Stinky

Hi Barry, I don't think the dutch barge is a problem, it's only temporary visitor, they don't get in anybody's way and I would imagine the skipper is experienced and competant to handle a vessel that big, though looking at it, it isn't that much bigger than some of the larger broads hire craft. I wouldn't mind a beauty like that myself. dream on Pete!!.

Pete

• 1 month later...

1235566851.8559.jpg

Is it Izambard?

No, as previously shown, the replica Dutch barge is not Izambard - it's a lovely boat called 'Genesis' owned by John and Chris from Plymouth, with their dog Genny (named after the boat).

As Robin mentioned, thay have been wintering on the Broads and are shortly to be heading back home, and are currently moored in Oulton Broad where they arrived this week, and will wait for a favourable wind to exit via Mutford Lock and begin their treck home.

Further to previous comments about the size of the boat and experience etc, yes the boat is large, but not as large as other trip boats seen around the Broads, and John is a very experienced skipper, so although his vessel weighs 32 tonnes and anyone else would come off worse in a collision, he has paid his fee to the BA to spend time here on the Broads, and as part of the boating community, should be welcomed here, with as many rights to enjoy the beautiful watery scenery as any of us who own boats ! The only places he was asked not to enter were the smaller rivers, such as the Ant, due to his width.

I know Jonny wouldn't agree, but with 32 tonnes to manouvre, I think I would prefer to have a 'girly' bow thruster, just so I didn't end up hitting someone else!!

John and Chris are Christians, hence the name of their boat, and we will be seeing them at our Church in Oulton Broad this coming Sunday. Having retired, they now live aboard, and spend their time travelling the country, and if anyone asks them about their boat name, are more than happy to explain it and to talk about their Christian faith.

I saw Genasis moored at the stokesby Inn or what ever its called stunning boat i have no problem with the size i think big or small heavy or light seagoing or not have the right to cruise the broads it makes a nice change to see something diffrent on the broads.

But my eye is still on Horizons :naughty::naughty:

I know Jonny wouldn't agree, but with 32 tonnes to manouvre, I think I would prefer to have a 'girly' bow thruster, just so I didn't end up hitting someone else!!

I dont mind a bow thruster some need them as they feel the extra security with one but not me :lol::lol:

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice sliceice slice

I really miss the excitement when meeting the coasters on their way up to either Cantley or Norwich.

Now that was fun, especially when seeing them navigate reedham !!!!

Think of the joys if the broads went back to being a commercial highway. Not being sarky, but as was mentioned in another thread it would ease the pressures on Norfolk roads and breath a bit more life back into the broads network. Fish1:Stinky:Sailing:River Police

I really miss the excitement when meeting the coasters on their way up to either Cantley or Norwich.

Now that was fun, especially when seeing them navigate reedham !!!!

Think of the joys if the broads went back to being a commercial highway. Not being sarky, but as was mentioned in another thread it would ease the pressures on Norfolk roads and breath a bit more life back into the broads network. Fish1:Stinky:Sailing:River Police

I agree entirely, I always liked the signs with the ledgend "No Mooring, danger of being struck by coasters" being struck by one would be bad enough, but plural? :o