Windows 7 update problems.

Bonzo

Hi.

I have just downloaded the latest Windows 7 updates.

It has totally c****d up my Microsoft Security Essentials virus scan in respect of the fact that it has turned it off and I cannot turn it back on.

Has anybody had the same problem. I was at the download using Wetherspoons wi fi.

I think they'd stopped it Xp and just checked and looks like still running for win 7 so could be a re-install required.

I'm on win8.1 and it did updates last night and yet again after updates it goes belly up to point that it reset tonight and said no hard drive, last month it was a flashing desktop after updates. HP sent a update out today to do with the hard drive so looks like windows messed things up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Siddy.

Yep, I came to the same conclusion as you and have just uninstalled and reinstalled and updated my Microsoft Security Essentials.

I originally thought it was the Cloud wi fi c*****g it up but it now appears that it is Microsoft. GRRRRRRR!

Anyway readers, that's the way to do it.

• Like 1

Had this before after update on 8.1

Said anti virus was off but on checking the program (Zone Alarm at the time) it was on.

Another Microsoft c**k up I think.

righted itself eventually......probably in another of their many updates

• Like 1

I once had an update to internet explorer (which I dont use) that stopped about 5 legacy software programs from being able to run (something to do with the way internet explorer 9 changed the way the operating system ran things) after I had uninstalled the update and reverted back to an earlier internet explorer version I had to block further internet explorer updates to stop it happening again.

I now have a backup laptop sitting available running linux to be able to get on the internet and research problems when microsoft mess things up with updates.

Grendel

• Like 1

Losing your virus scan whilst being connected to a public network is rather dangerous.

There was no harm done fortunately (I think). I do not do banking on my computer so nothing could be stolen. I have done a full scan on my Malwarebytes anti malware programme and a full scan on my reinstalled virus scan and found nothing.

You live and learn so in future I will avoid downloading Microsoft's updates on public networks.

• Like 1

Wise decision IMHO. A friend of mine had a similar problem whilst downloading stuff over a public network which resulted in a rather vicious and destructive piece of malware making its way to his hard drive. The cure was a full reinstall of everything. Fortunately, he backed files up regularly.

After any and all updates, I always run a full virus scan and mbam even if the updates were done at home. Bit OTT I guess...I'm not paranoid...I just know they're out to get me! :)

• Like 1

Rinceweed:

I think you are right to be paranoid about using the public wi fi, especially if Microsoft as in my case turned off my virus scan.

I have done a bit of research and apparently Microsoft Security Essentials has been upgraded. I have checked my updates and all the updated have failed.

My reinstallation appears to be the old programme. I suppose when Microsoft gets its act together they will send me a proper upgrade. I am not holding my breath!

Watch this space.   :rolleyes:

I believe auto update of windows os is advised to ensure that you are protected from prying eyes & mischeivious fingers. The updates block holes in the security thingies,

My windows 7 has, touch wood, been Ok for the last three years although you do have to put up with lenghy log offs whilst the latest updates are applied.

The only issues I have has have been with Maccaffee security which often seemed to get in a muddle and switched off certain scans. So I have dumpud maccaccaffee and installed Kasperersky .... cos it's free with my online banking.

I am using the latest FREE Avg 2015. I get Rapport also free with my online banking. I am on Win 8.1 and had a large update on Monday evening. It seems to settle down after 24 hours on the lappy. One programme I do pay for on a yearly upgrade is System Mechanic (Bought when I was with AOL) and it certainly keeps my lappy up to full speed.

cheers Iain

As I've said elsewhere, I'm sticking with Windows 3.1. So what if it takes me 30 minutes to send an e-mail? I had a load of trouble last year upgrading from MS-DOS 5 to MS-DOS 6.1. Completely knackered my 4 Meg hard drive. And I had to put in ANOTHER 64 kb of RAM.

• Like 4

As I've said elsewhere, I'm sticking with Windows 3.1. So what if it takes me 30 minutes to send an e-mail? I had a load of trouble last year upgrading from MS-DOS 5 to MS-DOS 6.1. Completely knackered my 4 Meg hard drive. And I had to put in ANOTHER 64 kb of RAM.

Guidey heights indeed Ray :naughty: 64 Ram!!!! Amazing!!!

cheers Iain

Here you go Alan the machine that inserted chips onto the pcb, line 3 pins up and in it went, bottom of page 4 in the AI1000 that inserted resisters or caps etc into the pcb, Normal clothes & smoking at the desk.

I was a YTS in 84/85 and loved it hands on repairing he M/c's. The building is now the O2 next to the white rose in Leeds. Testing the boards was run with data on a 8" floppy drive.

Today everything is on 1 chip and works fine till the UPDATES.

post-376-0-21721400-1432240240_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-78928700-1432240292_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-92518900-1432240314_thumb.jpg

I'm glad to say Windows 8 is not allowed anywhere near a computer of mine as it can't run animation software to save its life. I occasionally have to sort out the other half's Dad's laptop that runs windows 8...nightmare! I have a sneaking suspicion that Windows 8 was designed by a cack handed idiot with a tendency to turn off lights when he enters a darkened room and keeps all of the things that he uses on a daily basis buried under two tonne of concrete on a separate continent to the one he lives on.

On a slightly different tack I had a very very brief meeting with a numpty trying to sell me Apple computers.

"They can't run the software I use!" I explained to the salesman.

"But you can run an emulator and then run the software."

"No!" I said.

"But you get a free iphone." 

"No!" I said

"But all the right people have them."

"Wrong!"

I had to fix the wifes win 8 laptop, it just would not connect to the wireless network, either on the press button thingie to automatically set it up, or when putting in the password manually, after 2 hours trying to work around the win 8 security to reset the wireless network, I had to reboot the router, connect to the router before the broadband came online (at wich point it kicked her laptop off, but by then had remembered the password so another reconnect got her back connected, on XP I could have just cleared the memory of that wifi connection, then reconnected, 10 minutes, rather than the 2 hours struggling and swearing at windows 8, just to connect it to the wifi.

on my vista laptop I do it the easy way - via a network cable.

Grendel

Now Tim, you are confuzzzling me here, if you have 8.1 loaded but go back to normal desktop, its still basically the same old Windows 7?Or appears to work ok that way.

cheers Iain.

My main beef with Windows 8 Iain, is that it just does not run the software I use on a daily basis. Admittedly I use a lot of BETA programs but that's the nature of my business. I get presented with an animation, film or 3D problem and have to find the easiest, quickest and most cost effective solution. Windows 8 works and is designed in a way that is not conducive to a smooth workflow. It has some serious flaws handling game platforms, and 3D modelling software efficiently. I'll be sticking with boring old 7 until they come up with something that works...or at least has a 'make blockbuster, box office hit movie automatically' button! :naughty:  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

:wave ive managed to update my win7 today ok, but ive now got a windows message box at the bottom of my lappy saying that i can download win10 for free for a limited time, but am not sure about it, has anybody else downloaded win10 ? & is it stable over a win7 software ?  lori