Swancraft

NorfolkNog

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting reading the whole thread from top to bottom (as at 14:21 on Wed 15th) and in conjunction with many other "Southern orientated" threads.

There does seem to  be  some  inconsistency which is only  natural  dependent on  ones own view point. Whilst some would like to see and indeed benefit from greater promotion and of course  paid uptake of use of the Southern broads and facilities, others revel in its under use and make light of  "putting people off " ie in a jokey manner about keeping it for themselves

At end of the day its everyone to their own, when I first  went South many years ago  it was for the sense of adventure that the whole thing gave. I am pretty sure that if I looked at it today from the perspective of an (older) newbie id probably think it came with a  health and safety warning and  if you are sensible it should not be like that.

Today however we enjoy it so much that we took out syndicacy with Thunder  at Brundall  and will simply contemplate if/ when we,ll go North instead now. When I introduced my other half to the South  for the first time some time ago it was (Mistake on my part)  from the perspective of a Bath tube and all she "saw" were   reeds and a lot of dragon flies , the next time it  was  from dual steer and suddenly OH this is so much nicer and less congested. Other people enjoy the North for the opposite reasons, so I am guessing now but whoever might  promote the South today will likely not make a great change as people will ultimately graduate to what they prefer.

Dredging and improving the Southern rivers is not promotion, its  simply part of the BAs duty  as has basically  been pointed, however for me at least  that effectively makes it more attractive (promotes ?)  more than having  extra shops, pub etc and was part of our reason for basing at Brundall            

• Like 5

cheers Matt,  enjoy your forthcoming  week up North   ..... and of course  the mud weighting :-)

We would have been out his week and feeling like we are missing out, so will just have to look forward instead to the "double"  later on

• Like 1

There really is no competition when it comes to the North or the South,  the South wins every time.   If you want peace and quiet and good moorings without everyone and his wife at them , come South.    Ok you have to watch the tides , so, get on with it.   It is part of boating.    I just wish that Clive could have kept the Swan boats , in the South.      It is far too crowded up North.    Who wants to sit in traffic on the way to the Broads to find when you get here you are in another queue, this time of boats.      No COME SOUTH you wont be sorry.

I didn't even mention we have the best Pubs on the Broads. :dance  :dance  :Sailing  :Stinky

• Like 3

I'll throw my hat into the ring as we've (unusually?) veered a bit off topic........

We moor at Brundall... we did moor at Wroxham but didn't particularly like the extra aggravation to get there (we visit the boat frequently).

We spend two fortnight periods a year (May and September) oop North and apart from the drag from Great Yarmouth to Acle we do enjoy the upper reaches of the rivers there. The villages/towns/rivers are very attractive but therein lies the rub... everyone else thinks so!

However, as we're well retired, we can go when we like and May/September are a compromise between the weather and number of visitors.

We haven't experienced life there in June, July and August for probably over 30 years but considering the problems we get with moorings when we do go then I doubt we ever will venture North again in those three months.

Conversely darn Sarf we do have long journeys watching, as Mark says, reed-banks and dragonflies. We choose to have an Alpha forward-drive 'cos Mary-Jane doesn't have to climb up and down stairs and we have grown accustomed to just looking for the wild-life that you can see from our restricted views. There's a lot to see out there as you trickle along with the tide at just above idle revs!  ;)

• Like 6