Anybody know the yacht

webntweb

I seem to recall that Spindrift did not have any deck area in front of the cabin.   The forestay, Mudweight etc being attached to the cabin roof. The cabin windows being in the top part of the hull.

Trying to find a picture, i am sure I took one when I was at Whelptons a couple of years ago.

It is a bermuda rig though,  A lot of the yachts for hire were Gaffers.

Of course back in those days there were a lot more yachts in the hire fleets,

Alan, I agree with you and think that Doug has got it right with Reed Bunting.

Hoseasons 63 brochure shows two boats in the class both recently built and the hull shape and front windows look the same - can't quite make out the side windows in the pic. These boats were being rented out by Reedling Yachts of Horning. They had 15hp Excelsior "Seafarer" 2 stroke engines.

In the 1971 Blakes catalogue they have moved to Herbert Woods and there are now four in the class. The side window configuration is quite clear in this catalogue and seems to match my photo. They now had Volvo Penta 8hp diesel engines.

Roy

My best memory of a Reed Bunting was it returning to the yard full of mud when it took a wrong turn at Great Yarmouth and got stuck against Haven Bridge and the tide took her under, with the mast against the bridge she sank. The family on board manged to get off including two small children. They where offered another boat but decided to cut the holiday short and go home.

She was back out on hire just over a week later, the hire yards certainly knew how to maximise the availability of boats. Being an apprentice I had the lovely job of helping to clean her up.

Doug.

• Like 1