Medical Emergency. What to Do?

JawsOrca

Many thanks to is Jaws

& I'm not saying you'd HAVE to move as that that would be up to who ever is in charge of the boat, but Sod's law says that if you're not responsible and you tempt fate you'll probably live to regret it...

the broads lifeboats have fairly good range as they usually carry a back-up fuel tank I believe...

• Like 2

Don't forget we have a great Air Ambulance service (Kneels in case of Knighthood) police helicopter and coast guard air service. I think if push came to shove they will get any one either from or to an emergency. I have seen them all in action in the most obscure locations. We also have lowland rescue (trained in off road search and rescue) and most importantly perhaps, each other. The ability of the human race to help out when there is an emergency is still our best asset.

I agree that a simple First Aid course is a great investment, there is nothing worse than a loved one in need and no idea what or what not to do. Thankfully these situations are indeed rare but, they do occur.

Old scout motto "Be Prepared"

• Like 4

Our next door mooring neighbour had a medical emergency walking the dog at Horsey Gap. Her friend was bitten by an adder in the dunes. She said she couldn't get a mobile signal and had to run to the pub to alert the emergency services, not an easy thing for a middle aged and not too fit lady.

With Uncle Albert on board...and both he and I were scout leaders...I try and be prepared. Here are some of the steps I have taken:

• I have contacted a Broadland GP and have alerted them to both Uncle Albert and I being in the area. The Broadland GP has copies of Uncle Albert's medical records and has had a lengthy telephone discussion with Uncle Albert's home GP.
  • I carry extra supplies of all medication in a comprehensive first aid kit.
  • I regularly attend a first aid refresher course to keep my first aid 'ticket' up to date and have been trained in all aspects of care for Uncle Albert.
  • I monitor Uncle Albert and choose our mooring location depending upon his condition.
  • I carry a dual sim phone
  • I carry an OS map and plot our current location and can provide a six figure map reference.
  • I carry a large torch with a flashing orange beacon on top so we can be easily located by emergency services. I also have a similar app on my phone.

There is one piece of emergency equipment used to call for help that is 'abused' on a regular basis on the Broads and very few people seem to know how to use it correctly. I've even responded to this emergency signal on three occasions. Twice on the Broads to a reception of blank stares from the family using said item and once on the Ouse in Bedford where a canoeist had managed to tip and wedge his boat beneath a fallen tree branch and could not exit the boat and was in danger of drowning.

I'm talking about the little whistle attached to your life jackets. If you are in need of help, six short blasts on the whistle is the International Distress signal. Keep repeating the signal. Emergency services or a rescuer will reply with three long blasts and both signals can then be used to locate a casualty. Please don't let your kids prat about with the whistle on the life jacket, one day...as I found out...it might just save your life, and if I hear the six short blasts I will respond... just in case.

Edited to add six short blasts on the boats horn or anything is the same distress signal...

• Like 4

Very wise words Tim! I carry an OS map in the car (because I'm a bit sad like that) but I noticed they are selling them in Tesco now for a very reasonable £8... We have Marine GPS on the boat & the OS mobile App but it's never good to rely on technology too much!

• Like 1

its also worth noting that 999 (or even the European emergency number 112) can be used on any mobile irrespective of what sim it has -or even if it does not have a sim card in some cases, also 999 or 112 should be able to be dialled even if the keyboard is locked, some phones will also allow the battery to be flattened more than it would normally do on an emergency call.

Grendel

It is also worth noting that if on the broads you should ask for coastguard for medical emergencies - they have very good knowledge of the broads and know all the key access points - they will request all required assets (police, ambulance, chopper, fire, lifeboat etc). As far as I am aware, coasties are the only service that can page lifeboats also - so will speed up their response times.

• Like 2