Medical Emergency. What to Do?

JawsOrca

Hi All,

Having narrowly missed a medical emergency with one of our crew (Grandma feel sick a week after she was on the boat), it's got me thinking what I would do if it happened on the boat in the middle of the broads.. Considering the lack of phone signal (Our marina for example has no mobile phone signal).

What would be best thing to do?

Do I call a Mayday on the VHF (which everyone is licences for)? Even though we get a mobile signal? (would a VHF really get a decent range being so far inland?) or if we had a mobile signal should we just call 999? If the boat is no where need a road should we move the boat (even at night) to somewhere closer to road access or could this delay things and I'd be worried if leaving the patient to move the boat do more difficulties? Considering distances should we dramatically break the speed limits? Should we navigate into a private marina if that's the closest or continue onto a more open area? Would an air ambulance be sent out to us? 

I am worried at the moment I really don't have a plan to deal with this.

I'm somewhat relieved that we have our own boat with nav lights/vhf radio etc but what about a hireboater too.. Are mobiles good enough for emergency calls? Should they move after dark to meet the emergency services? 

(Obviously I'm talking about a serious life threatening emergency here).

P.s Grandma is home after spending just over a week in hospital. Thankfully, although it was serious, it seems like it was caused by medicine problems which has been adjusted and she's already running around as usual.

Hi Alan,

In a real emergency situation you contact the emergency services by any means possible and if mobile phones are n a poor reception area then your radio is the way to go.

For none emergencies then see our listing for walking centres and medical centres, Tan had cause to go to the medical centre at Wroxham,  they were very good and fitted us in with their appointments, all they required were details of our doctors and medical certificate if you had one with you.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I think under a serious medical condition people would completely understand if a Hireboater were to move at night, I know if anything were to happen like this to a member of my family whilst on board I would not hesitate, same with speeding even though I know both are not permitted by Hirers, if you have no Mobile signal, what choice would you have?

I guess until it happens you don't really know how you would react, panic can set in and any logic goes out of the window but I know if I had to move the Boat in a life or death situation, no rules or regs will stop me

Grace

• Like 8

As you know it's just Deb and I on Lady Patricia. If anything happened while we were 'away from any civilisation' then I'd do whatever I had to for her safety and deal with any consequences later.

Use whatever means you have at your disposal to get the patient help ASAP.

cheers

In all honesty though i need to get her to take the helm more and moor the boat a few times, that way should anything happen to me and she needs to move the boat it won't cause her so much panic if she knows she can do it.

Now that's got me thinking.

• Like 3

"In all honesty though i need to get her to take the helm more and moor the boat a few times, that way should anything happen to me and she needs to move the boat it won't cause her so much panic if she knows she can do it.

Now that's got me thinking."

Very true.  Thought provoking.

• Like 2

Glad to hear she is better.

We had a minor problem with a guest who, due to a chronic condition, was unable to overnight on Salhouse. We got the Nav lights out and went back to the mooring where the problem could be managed.

I think the emergency services have a good grip on reaching casualties on the Broads, during the TMOR I saw a paramedic car and an ambulance at the river, goodness knows how they got there. Of course the Air Ambulance and Coastguards fly in when needed too, so the main issue is alerting them in the first place. Mobiles when we can, but that is really uncertain as you say, VHF to coastguard?

• Like 1

I think SteveandDeb raise a very good point, I have helmed hire boats from about the age of six on my dad's knee, by no stretch of the imagination am I an expert but I can handle a Boat, my Dad once helmed a Boat back to it's hire base for an elderly couple when the husband felt unwell and the wife didn't have a clue what to do. My advice to anyone man or woman who may find it daunting to helm or moor is to practice on wild moorings or public one's if you can find any free of other boats, that way you don't feel a right plank if you mess up as hopefully no one will be watching

If you do as I do when mooring in private it will probably be the best helming and mooring up you have ever done lol

Grace

p.s Glad Grandma is better

• Like 3

I would like it if someone can confirm this but I believe that if you dial 999 in an area where there appears to be no signal, your call will still get through.

There is automatic 'roaming' for 999 calls where any mast will do the biz, be it O2, Vodaphone or anyone else.

I'm sure there will be a technophile along soon to tell me I'm talking out of my bottom, or to confirm.

• Like 1

John

you are right that when you have no signal on your phone you can still ring emergency services.

This was part of the telegraph wireless phone bill when the licences were first allocated the proviso was that your phone would roam to any available carrier for signal

Also if you contact the Emergency services don't be too hasty to put down the reciever as they may ask you to stay on the line (don't worry it costs you nothing) but may be able to triangulate your position from the signal if you don;t know exactly where you are

If you dont know what you are doing it may be worth getting in touch with your local Red Cross or St johns and see if you can book a simple stay alive first aid course

other than that is to place them on the floor in the recovery position keep warm and assure them help is on the way

• Like 5

If push comes to shove do what you have to do.  Motor somewhere, Disturb other boats, Knock on house doors whatever you have to do.

When I was still in poor health we carried a list of health centres, walk-in centres etc.  Additionally we have made our own chart book for Grebe and have added to the charts the map references of all the BA moorings we have used - this means we can direct emergency help accurately.

• Like 2

I think, and no doubt someone will correct me, is that you should first of all talk to the emergency services - as far as which one i would always contact the Coastguard and it would be their responsibility to take the next step.

I do not think at any stage you should encourage anyone to navigate without lights , nor do i think you should just go off to somewhere else just because you think you know best!! The emergency services are trained to cope and by doing anything until you have been instructed otherwise could not only jeopardise the life of others but also your injured party.

I know it is difficult to wait but there are good reasons why you should not move and the emergency services will know the nearest access point for the emergency vehicles - there are lots of access points all over the place and just because you do not know it does not necessarily mean they dont!!!

Thanks all.. It's nice to know the mobile phone should work. I'd guess too the call handler would advise where would be the best place to move the boat to. 

I think it really should be something we all think about and try to come up with a rough idea of what we would do. I know I'm a serious helm hogger so I do need to step back and let others get practice.. mooring really isn't hard but I bet it if you've not done it alot and when adrenaline is running.

cheers

• Like 3

Marshman, surely it depends where you are, and what the situation is.

For example, If I were moored at Cockshoot dyke  I'd tell the emergency services I could get to the ferry at Horning. Would this not make life easier to all concerned?

Obviously I'd take their advice rather than follow my own plan If that's what they tell me to do.

• Like 1

Alan, Hi.

Our thanks to you for starting such an important topic. I've only ever considered what I would do if Mary-Jane became ill.........

We're fortunate enough to have a marine VHF and Mary-Jane has the licences; so we would certainly not hesitate to use it and put our a "Pan Pan Medico" or "Mayday" on channel 16 to Humber Radio. (I talked to them on Breydon recently with our handheld).

Medical assistance
    A "pan-pan medico" call is appropriate if someone becomes injured or in need of medical help at sea. If the vessel is heading to shore and wants to be met by an ambulance crew, the local Coast Guard station can arrange this. A doctor or other trained medical advisor may also be available on the radio, perhaps by patching through via telephone from ashore or from a nearby vessel. If there is immediate risk to life, then a Mayday call is more appropriate. "Pan-pan medico" is no longer in official use.[9]

Marine Rescue Organisations, such as Coastal Patrol, Coast Guard, and Search and Rescue listen on marine radio frequencies for all distress calls including "pan-pan". These organisations can coordinate or assist and can relay such calls to other stations that may be better able to do so.

• Like 2

Marshman,

Honest Guv, I'm not picking on you but you have made a very important point with which I do not agree.

You said...

..."I think, and no doubt someone will correct me, is that you should first of all talk to the emergency services - as far as which one i would always contact the Coastguard and it would be their responsibility to take the next step."

I do agree that the emergency services should be called immediately a life threatening situation is identified but unless one is at sea (or perhaps on Breydon) the coast guard is NOT the service to select.

One can reasonably assume that the emergency will be medical. It follows therefore that the AMBULANCE will be the required service.

• Like 2

With all emergencies you do what is right at the time, nobody is going to tell you off for using what ever comms are to hand if someone's life is in danger.

Regardless of wether you use VHF or 999, if you're on the broads you should get handed to Humber...

Generally the lifeboats covering the broads know the best places to launch, as long as you give an accurate location they will find you.

It's always good to have a plan. If you or your crew are senior & you moor up some where that has no phone signal, you don't have a VHF and there are no other boats about you have created a perfect storm. My mum always said 'failing to plan is planning to fail'

• Like 2

Thanks HembysPie :) I think that's what i'm trying to say.. we all need a rough plan.. Sadly as you say if we are on any boat and have no signal either VHF or Mobile then you need to move to somewhere which has one. But where to is another problem. Do you know what range the inshore lifeboats have? (are you part of the crew by any change?)

:welcome: to the forum from me too :)cheers