Ex Stracey Arms

RayandCarole

I notice the press article mentions 'close to running water' as being important, excuse my ignorance of religions here but is the Hindus that like to float the ashes of dead relatives down the river? I've seen similar on the trent in nottingham and I'm sure someone said it was from a hindu temple. (I thin it was in cocunut shells)

It doesn't bother me at all but I'm not sure the BA will be happy about it.

On the subject of the mooring fee.        When we moored there Last Year we paid our fee to the owners of the cafe/shop.   We were given a proper VAT receipt on both nights, if my memory serves me well.   I usually keep our tickets but cannot lay my hands on it at the moment.   When we moor at Hardley Mill we just get a ticket saying date and signed Mooring fee £5 on a backdrop of the windmill.

We were quite happy to pay to stay at a lovely mooring.

Looking at Peter's post,  I should imagine if that lot takes place, a few Stag doos will be the least of our worries.

Edited by Hylander
Just read Peter's post

Is it the new set up with the forum or Windows 10 but I don't seem to be able to copy and paste as i used to.

I was going to add to Mark's reply -      no riverside cremations, by anyone, are allowed .... yet and say ... watch this space.

I expect there would be a small flotilla of Diwali Lamps at NewYear, just as there is on the Thames; public health would overrule cremation practice in this country, so I think we are tilting at windmills  :)

Edited by Polly
  • Like 1

Going back to being serious, for a moment, I now understand that the owners of Mill House leased land both sides of their property in order to extend the moorings. If we accept that, and it's perfectly reasonable, then they were entitled to make a charge for the use of the extended moorings. 

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of the proposed A47 dueling at that point, that has to be a consideration for any prospective purchaser.

Edited by JennyMorgan
  • Like 1

Thanks JM.  That gives me a better clarity on why they can charge etc despite all the on going query around the subject.

It's good to debate to get understanding.

Now lets hope the whole section stays open ..

I think they may have a very long wait for their £615,000 even up here in North Norfolk where it is a tad dearer that money will buy you a very nice place.

Perhaps as Peter has said they wish to divest themselves of it before it becomes blighted by A47 improvements. I am sure a detailed search would reveal what the medium term plan is for the road.

A canal (a lock would be needed due to tidal flow difference) joining the Bure at that point with the Yare just east of Reedham would even up Broadlands own unique North South divide. And do a lot for the area. The road would be easy but the railway would be more difficult. Oh well dream on!

Peter,

There has long been a question mark over whether they own the section or indeed lease the section between the mill house and the pub, however when I enquired two years ago they didn't own, or potentially lease the section by the pub which is by far the largest section. I still believe they don't unless someone has concrete proof!!!!!

Keith, I can find no suggestion that the Mill House people actually owned other than the Mill House moorings, but it is quite reasonable to accept that they leased on an annual basis, or at least had an agreement with the owners. Okay, so we probably have similar opinions on this one but we could both be wrong!